• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I hate Heritage

11 posts in this topic

For all the bad stuff we say about Heritage, they rock! shocked.gif

Heritage Comics to Offer Harvey Archives

Heritage Comics has purchased the entire remaining portion of the Harvey Warehouse Archives - approximately 32,000 pieces of original art - from New York art impresario Alexander Acevedo, who had owned it for many years. "This was the mother lode!" enthused Acevedo. "My wife cried the day I bought this deal, and I cried the day I sold it!"

According to Heritage's Director of Acquisitions Ed Jaster, "It was an all-cash deal, with no terms or trade whatsoever involved. Fortunately, we can afford to hold on to it as long as necessary while the market grows. We intend to parcel it out very slowly so that the prices rise steadily as more collectors see how great this art is. Therefore, its potential value over such a long period of time is virtually unlimited."

Harvey was well known for Saturday morning cartoon characters such as Casper the Friendly Ghost, Little Dot, Wendy, Baby Huey, Sad Sack, and of course the best selling comic character of all time, Richie Rich, which at one time sold over 30 million copies a year.

But Harvey also published horror and superhero comics of sensational quality. In its renowned five-decades history, Harvey employed some of the finest artists ever to work in comics, including Frank Frazetta, Sid Check, Alex Schomburg, Jack Kirby, Joe Simon, Bob Fujitani, Bob Powell, Lee Elias, Howard Nostrand, Warren Kremer, Will Eisner, Wally Wood, George Tuska, Jim Steranko (who did his first professional work for Harvey) and others too numerous to list.

Heritage plans to offer the best material in its Signature auctions, while lesser items may be offered privately on its web site, via television and mass-market advertising, and through its Internet-only, twice-monthly Amazing Comics Auctions™.

Heritage has also received on consignment for upcoming auctions several important pieces of Harvey art and numerous file copy comics from Alan Harvey, the former editor and co-owner of Harvey Publications. This consigned group, while not as voluminous as the Acevedo purchase, may be even more important due to its uniform quality and desirability.

Highlights of both groups include:

Green Hornet #9 and #24 original cover art

Stuntman #2 original cover art

Earliest known Richie Rich original cover art

Earliest known Richie Rich original story art

Original cover art for Little Dot #1, the issue that featured the first appearance of Richie Rich

Original art pieces to dozens of fantastic horror covers and scores of complete stories

Harvey Hits #3 file copy CGC NM 9.4

Richie Rich #1 file copy CGC NM- 9.2

Dozens of other file copy #1 issues including Phantom, Casper, Wendy, Hot Stuff, Tracy, Sad Sack, Joe Palooka, etc.

I'm just glad all this stuff still exists. For all I knew, this material was destroyed or lost long ago. I know Harvey isn't at the top of most collectors want lists, but there is still historical significance here. I've always enjoyed collecting Hot Stuff. goodevil.gif

Original art pieces to dozens of fantastic horror covers and scores of complete stories

I am feeling a curious excitement, and also a sense of impending doom coming from my bank account.

I was thinking the same. It may be time for the old savings account to shrink !!

I love rainy rains. grin.gif

I really like Heritage as well! Some great deals to be had for sure. Plus, I won an auction a while back for a Top-Notch #9 (RAW) that had serious problems with the interior. They took it back with no questions asked, and hassle free. Not sure if anyone has ever returned a CGC book (is it allowable) but they are definitely a good place to pick up a deal.

Yes, Heritage is great. I look forward to flying down to the San Diego auction (my first). Figure it'll be cheaper than bidding on the net + should be a lot of fun.