• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC or shipping?

12 posts in this topic

I got my TIH #1 back today and still happy with the results but one thing's bothering the snot out of me. The top overhang of the book has a few micro cracks in it but was very straight when I sent it to get graded. I got it back with a few sections folded over on the pages and it sticks out like a sore thumb on the top edge. I'm not sure if it happened in the grading or shipping process. At first glance it looks like some pieces are missing but it's just folded over. Any suggestions or should I just crack it open and straighten out the edge?

scrunch.jpg

Personally, I would leave well enough alone. Especially if it's the 9.0 you just got back.

WHAT HE SAID!!! gossip.gif

Got a before scan? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Bummer about the book, it looks to me like the damage was done pre slabbing. Without seeing a before scan it is too hard to really say for sure though.

The entire top of the book shows edge wear similar to your folded over areas, and the folded areas appear to have been folded back and forth, perhaps more then once...classic uncurl a corner with your finger method? It appears to be a pretty rigid bend for it to break color like that.Once placed in the innerwell it reverted to the its bent state.Especially that urc where the innerwell is indented at the corner.And since it breaks color, getting it pressed out isnt really an option either.

Your best bet is to leave it be. Did you slab it for you or to sell?

Ze-

Got a before scan? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Bummer about the book, it looks to me like the damage was done pre slabbing. Without seeing a before scan it is too hard to really say for sure though.

The entire top of the book shows edge wear similar to your folded over areas, and the folded areas appear to have been folded back and forth, perhaps more then once...classic uncurl a corner with your finger method? It appears to be a pretty rigid bend for it to break color like that.Once placed in the innerwell it reverted to the its bent state.Especially that urc where the innerwell is indented at the corner.And since it breaks color, getting it pressed out isnt really an option either.

Your best bet is to leave it be. Did you slab it for you or to sell?

Ze-

I slabbed it primarily for me as it's my third 9.0 of the original six Hulk books. I'd like the option to possibly sell later but only if needed. It doesn't take away too much from the book but it's something that I know is there and will be a beeyotch to ignore. Here's a before pic

before pic

Looks like SCS claims another victim. When oh when are they just going to burn all those stupid slabs.

I am kinda surprised CGC didnt send it back due to overhang issues. And to be sure Scupbucket, you said the book graded out at 9.0? Purple label?

That book belongs in mylar, with a nice fat oversized fullback to prevent a piece or three from breaking off.

Ze-

Well, both actually - that's what happens when you slab an SA Marvel with typical TE overhang . . . confused-smiley-013.gif

The only reason to slab is to sell, as the extra handling and encasing in plastic does not decrease a book's defects. sumo.gif

Well, both actually - that's what happens when you slab an SA Marvel with typical TE overhang . . . confused-smiley-013.gif

The only reason to slab is to sell, as the extra handling and encasing in plastic does not decrease a book's defects. sumo.gif

Good point... Who am I kidding. Yes, I'll probably sell it at some point but it might hurt a bit though. If by some slight chance I decide to go for keeps, into the mylar she goes. headbang.gif

Looks like SCS claims another victim. When oh when are they just going to burn all those stupid slabs.

Isolated incident.

"if "SCS" was a major problem, we would be hearing it from every major collector and dealer in the country." - Steve Borock