• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What was the first number 0 comic?

13 posts in this topic

I can't recall any comic prior to Zap Comix 0, bearing the issue number as "0". The now famous story is that Robert Crumb was commissioned by Don Donahue to work on Zap Comix. On his way to the Bay area, Crumb had misplaced the artwork. He redrew the entire book and printed it as Zap Comix number 1. A short while later, the orginal artwork was found, and to keep the chronological order of the title, Crumb/Donahue decided to number the issue "0". According to Jay Kennedy, the book was originally published in 1967. The decision to number the book 0 always made perfect sense to me. I also know that it is the first underground comic to have the issue number 0. But I've always wondered whether Zap Comix 0 the first comic to bear the issue number 0? Anyone confirm or deny this?

They discussed this in a recent issue of CBG...

And they came to the same conclusion, that the Zap was the first...

Hey lighthouse

I didn't read the issue; does CBG recognize it as being the "first comic", or the "first underground comic" to bear the number 0?

What was the 1st mainstream 0 issue? Magnus Robot Fighter??

Hey odin88

If you are referring to the Valiant publication, I believe the Adventurers came before Magnus Robot Fighter. Regardless, if Zap Comix 0 is the "first comic" to bear the number 0, then IMO it should count as something significant to the entire comic market, and not just undergrounds. Anyone else have any insights to confirm this?

did it in 3min 38 secs flat (comes with a self-timer)..

first of all---that was an awesome puzzle. I'm on the ocmputer all day and im amazed at the avatars and stuff like thi spuzzle you guys here produce!! very impressive.

but geeez, yer so competitive!! I did it pretty fast but didnt time myself cause I read your post AFTER I clicked on the puzzle pile and relaized it was a REAL working puzzle. But Im SURE it was 2 minures flat!! 27_laughing.gif

first of all---that was an awesome puzzle. I'm on the ocmputer all day and im amazed at the avatars and stuff like thi spuzzle you guys here produce!! very impressive.

but geeez, yer so competitive!! I did it pretty fast but didnt time myself cause I read your post AFTER I clicked on the puzzle pile and relaized it was a REAL working puzzle. But Im SURE it was 2 minures flat!!

Hey aman619

Thanks for the kind words.

WOW! 2 minutes is amazing! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Although, I have a funny feeling that someone on these boards will shatter that record... 893whatthe.gif

The first time I lost a piece inside the puzzle. The second time took about 2 and 1/2 minutes. Thank you for the puzzle.

Do you own a CGC copy of this book?

That happened to me too 27_laughing.gif

Love the Big 1 & 2; and I've got several copies of Zap 0 (mostly first printings), but only one is slabbed.