• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Super-Con report / Art day!

7 posts in this topic

This is my belated report for Super-Con which was held in Oakland 2 weeks ago (www.super-con.com).

For me, the show was all about one of my favorite comics creators: Jordi Bernet. When the promoter, Steve Morger, told me he was bringing Bernet over from Spain, my first thought was: I think the only two people who are going to care are me and Steve...but thanks for bringing him over! Boy, was I wrong. Bernet had a line that did not quit for the entire two-day show. I have every English-language editions of his many works. Many are quite rare, and I didn't expect to see any other fans with them. I think I ended up seeing all of them at one point or another in the line. It was nice to see that there are so many fellow fans of the man's work. This was his first trip to the US. Who knows when he'll be back? A once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Thanks again, Steve!

Steve had also arranged for a small number of commissions. Here's mine:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=165241&GSub=26313

I also picked up a page and a sketch:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=165239&GSub=26313

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece...at=0&UCat=0

My other artist encounter was with Sergio Aragones. He's starting to sell some more of this GROO art, but only from the Image and Dark Horse series. And even then, it's with great reluctance. When he showed me his portfolio, he breathed a heavy sigh with each page he turned, even removing a couple of pieces he decided not to sell. Here is the page I ended up with:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=26314

Overall, I had a great show and a great time. Kudos to the two Steves, Morger and Wyatt. The show was definitely a labor of love. For art fans, this was as good as it gets. I can't wait for the next edition.

Felix

I was lucky enough to be set up next to Felix. Every time I walked next door he had an amazing page out. Felix- Your right. as a seller I could have asked for more but as an art collector the Oakland show is a great setting to meet artists with a fraction of the crowds. Often resulting in a chance at an otherwise unlikely commission.

I saw the Groo page in person but I missed the Bernet. Great Stuff man!

-Chris

I was lucky enough to be set up next to Felix. Every time I walked next door he had an amazing page out. Felix- Your right. as a seller I could have asked for more but as an art collector the Oakland show is a great setting to meet artists with a fraction of the crowds. Often resulting in a chance at an otherwise unlikely commission.

I saw the Groo page in person but I missed the Bernet. Great Stuff man!

-Chris

Thanks Chris! Likewise, it was an honor being set up next to a BSD-in-trainingpoke2.gif

As for the show...yes, as a seller, it wasn't at the level of a WonderCon. Yet. However, even WonderCon was slow for the first couple of years after it moved from Oakland to SF. It wasn't until '05 and '06 that the crowds started coming. Now there's a waiting list for dealers!

As dealers, we need to support the shows and help them grow. Especially a show like this one that was created to be a fan-friendly event.

See you at the next show, BSD!

Thanks Felix grin.gif

Thanks for the kind words. This was, effectively, the first year of the new show. It went well but next year will be better. Our focus was and will be on the creators. Next year, the show will be June 2 and 3, 2007. Guests so far who have told me or Steve Wyatt (other promoter) that they will attend include Jim Lee, Frank Cho, J.G. Jones and Mark Waid. Many of this year's guests have also indicated a desire to come back. Working on more than a couple new guests as well. Our hope is to bring in at least one or two guests who have never been here before. Bernet was the first of, we hope, many. Hope to see you next year. Best, Steve.