• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New to collecting.SORTA..here's my situation

30 posts in this topic

That's why you've got to be patient. That book was waaaaaay over-priced, and I sincerely hope the buyer ain't looking at the "investment" angle.

That's why I was saying that maybe BA Keys are the best area to focus on. We all know that any Spidey in HG will command premium bucks, but they hit such a high mark last summer (w/ the movie) that you aren't going to see significant increase in "value" for many years (Hell, the current trend is showing a decline in the "value" of those books).

You're right, Joe....anybody who bought books last early spring/summer (myself included) is going to have to wait awhile to see any significant return on their "investemnt". Now that the CGC census (I know you hate me referencing this) has started to reflect more accurate #'s, prices are dropping. Lower prices = better investment potential (esp. on "can't misses" like Conan #1, HOS #92, GL/GA #76m and [shoot me] Marvel Premier #15).

Chris

better investment potential (esp. on "can't misses" like Conan #1, HOS #92, GL/GA #76m and [shoot me] Marvel Premier #15).

Yeah, but don't forget that the availability of HG B.A marvel books is much larger, and I doubt we've even scratched the surface on books like Conan #1 or MP 15. But the DC's are a different story.........

i agree..doesn't change the fact that i still like these books..lol

Anyway i'm still investing in bronze age as well..just got that CGC 8.0 hulk 181. Like i said i'm buying what i like and i like the early issues of marvel heros..just me

Yeah, but don't forget that the availability of HG B.A marvel books is much larger, and I doubt we've even scratched the surface on books like Conan #1 or MP 15. But the DC's are a different story.........

Everyone keeps bringing this up, without noting that there are far fewer DC collectors, especially of the Bronze Age variety. I've heard this same "DC are rarer than Marvel" since the 70's, but it doesn't matter when Marvel books have the collector numbers.

Not that there's anything *wrong* with collecting DC, but you're fooling yourself if you think that prices will get anywhere near a similarly-important Marvel Bronze book.

and I doubt we've even scratched the surface on books like Conan #1 or MP 15. But the DC's are a different story.........

Absolutely, you and JC are both on point. I've been actively seeking HG late-Silver/early-Bronze DC's, but as you both know, they are much harder to acquire than their Marvel counterparts.

Also, please note, that I did not disclude DC books from my list. I included HOS #92 GL/GA #76 as "can't miss" books. And I know neither of you can disagree or dispute that. Case in point: I have been looking for a raw GL/GA #76 for almost 2 yrs. now. I have not yet been able to locate a copy absent of color breaking stress marks. I have yet to see a copy w/ less than 10 color breaking spine stress marks.

I used the Marvel books as an example of "easier" to acquire HG Bronze books.

Chris

Not that there's anything *wrong* with collecting DC, but you're fooling yourself if you think that prices will get anywhere near a similarly-important Marvel Bronze book

I realize that, but I'm talking about *certain* bronze Dc's that ARE in high demand. I realize they will never be in demand as Marvels are. I'm mostly a Marvel collector, but there are certain bronze Dc's that I'm looking for in NM, and GL #76 is one example. A GL #76 in 9.4 will bring in more multiples of guide than just about any bronze Marvel I can think of in 9.4.

I'll bet anybody in here 100 bucks that an unrestored and unqualified Spidey #1 CGC 8.0 with off-white or better pages doesn't go for less than $5000 over the next two years on E-Bay. I couldn't agree more that Spidey #1 is overpriced in the guide since it's not uncommon and it's really a #2, but I've been tracking that book for almost 2 years and a lot less 8.0 copies show up than you'd think; the one that sold today was only the third in the last year.

My bet is contigent on a Spidey 1 auction that isn't plagued by some kind of poor sales technique or an auction that has a risk of being a scam. This a bet I'd be HAPPY to lose, because if a Spidey 1 CGC 8.0 goes for less than even $6000, that copy will be MINE!!!! cloud9.gif

Not only would I not take that bet, but if I got the opportunity to buy a clean CGC 8.0 for $4000, you'd bet I'd jump on it.

I'll bet anybody in here 100 bucks that an unrestored and unqualified Spidey #1 CGC 8.0 with off-white or better pages doesn't go for less than $5000 over the next two years on E-Bay

That's one bet you'll win. kevin

A GL #76 in 9.4 will bring in more multiples of guide than just about any bronze Marvel I can think of in 9.4.

This is so true,Marvel Bronze is just not happening,with all the cash people lay out for marvel bronze,they could take all that cash and buy a book that will be worth something that is actually rare in high grade. Kevin