• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

Got the #91 off ebay a few years back off ebay, but it was raw. Listed as ungraded, but the scan looked okay. I was thrilled when it came. It's in the 7.5/8.0 zone, and the pages are nice. Along with #80, it's a super tough book to find. I haven't seen any other decent ones come up in the past year or so.

Wonder who got the cgc 8.0?

Shep

Nice Heath cover OFF's. Those issues of OFF before The Losers started are so tough for me to collect because I just don't care too much about them. Kinda like the Dinosaur SSWS issues.

I hear what you're saying... I buy 'em for the covers.

I enjoy the OFF's up until the early 1960's issues. After that, until The Losers start, I couldn't care less. Same way with SSWS dino issues. For some reason I have developed a real fondness for All American Men of War. Maybe because it's a relatively cheaper run to collect than say OAAW or GIC.

Out of all the big five books, early OAAW issues seem the toughest to find. For every OAAW I see I seem to see five OFF's. OFF # 1 shows up on ebay all the time.

I hear what you're saying... I buy 'em for the covers.

I enjoy the OFF's up until the early 1960's issues. After that, until The Losers start, I couldn't care less. Same way with SSWS dino issues. For some reason I have developed a real fondness for All American Men of War. Maybe because it's a relatively cheaper run to collect than say OAAW or GIC.

Out of all the big five books, early OAAW issues seem the toughest to find. For every OAAW I see I seem to see five OFF's. OFF # 1 shows up on ebay all the time.

Yup, OFF #1 isn't that tough to find. Nor is OAAW #1 actually. The toughies for OAAW seem to be from #2 to #20.

Early AAMOW's are great, and as you said, they can be relatively inexpensive.

Dino's don't really do it for me either, but if you want the complete series, you've gotta buy those ones as well. I recently bought a semi-run of them in VG to Fine at a reasonable price in comparison to guide. That's the thing with those books, IMHO they are overpriced right now, so I will only pick them up for half guide or less (unless it's the first dinosaur, then you've gotta pay for it). confused-smiley-013.gif

Andy

Dino's don't really do it for me either, but if you want the complete series, you've gotta buy those ones as well. I recently bought a semi-run of them in VG to Fine at a reasonable price in comparison to guide. That's the thing with those books, IMHO they are overpriced right now, so I will only pick them up for half guide or less (unless it's the first dinosaur, then you've gotta pay for it). confused-smiley-013.gif

Andy

After some thought I've decided not to try to collect all big five titles. It's just too much. I'm going to pick and choose what I want. I just have no motivation to collect some of that stuff.

I had the same realization... I want the books I want in as nice as grade as possible, rather than having to lower my grade average out to afford the whole she-bang.

But I have nothing for admiration for anyone who does put all of them together. It's an enormous achievement, in any grade.

Shep

I had the same realization... I want the books I want in as nice as grade as possible, rather than having to lower my grade average out to afford the whole she-bang.

But I have nothing for admiration for anyone who does put all of them together. It's an enormous achievement, in any grade.

Shep

Bah! Whatever... stooges.gif

Andy 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Shep

Absolutely!! These books were for a very long time looked upon as uncollectible by a good portion of the hobby.

some nice big 5 books in the upcoming July Heritage auction...

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hold on. Let me look in my wallet. Oh look, a moth just flew out.

I think my comic budget is going on hold for now.

New house coming up.

Baby coming up.

Oh well, I can still live vicariously through guys like Shep and Andy.

Hold on. Let me look in my wallet. Oh look, a moth just flew out.

27_laughing.gif

I think my comic budget is going on hold for now.

New house coming up.

Baby coming up.

Oh well, I can still live vicariously through guys like Shep and Andy.

I agree with Shep, but that Andy guy? 893naughty-thumb.gif He just buys low grade books in quantity.... confused-smiley-013.gif