• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

Andy, OAAW #12 CGC 4.5 will be up for auction starting next Sunday. #11 is at CGC now. Keith

I won the OAAW #12! :acclaim: Could you let me know when the #11 comes back? Thanks Keith! (thumbs u

Andy

Well done Andy!!!

Hey is anyone thinking of taking a stab at the SSWS #38 in 6.0? I plan on going a bit large on that one... if anyone else is planning to jump into the hunt on that book, please pm me.

Keith, great job on those books. I am really happy to see that even in 6.0-7.5 (and I mean no disrespect saying 'even') those books are commanding excellent prices. Makes me seriously think of getting some of my earlier war books CGC'd.

And again, it underscores how rare these books are in nice grade.

Man, I wish I had an extra $20k sitting around... I'd buy 'em all!

Shep

I expected a flurry of bids at the end... seems the pool is shallow but the current is strong for them. Meaning had other bids come in, I'm thinking the winners would have gone higher and higher to still win. But the bids didnt come along to push them. I made a stab at them but didnt want to win at all costs!

I also think that these "highest graded" examples get the honor while other comparable and better copies sit quietly snug in mylars at undisclosed locations around the country whose whereabouts are known only their owners and a few very knowledgeable DC war collectors.

for instance, the 8.0 GIC87 coming up. Arent there at least 2 better copies out there? What were the pedigree copies like, the Salida, Bethlehem and River City and any others out there?

I also think that these "highest graded" examples get the honor while other comparable and better copies sit quietly snug in mylars at undisclosed locations around the country whose whereabouts are known only their owners and a few very knowledgeable DC war collectors.

for instance, the 8.0 GIC87 coming up. Arent there at least 2 better copies out there? What were the pedigree copies like, the Salida, Bethlehem and River City and any others out there?

I'd love to see those copies! :cloud9:

You're right, though. A lot of times those highest graded copies are kind of misleading, as there are most likely other better copies in existence out there somewhere. It's the big desire of owning the absolute best that drives these daddies to crazy prices. Then a higher grade book comes on the market and the previous highs all of a sudden look like they were overvalued.

Andy

yeah. for tough in grade books like these that are also zealously collected, its hard to really know whats out there except by anecdotal testimony. And war books have always been traded quietly and quickly leaving very little paper trail, like the superhero titles do.

There are nice copies of the keys out there, but they are NEVER coming out of the collections they are in.

No idea where the Salida keys, but again... probably not going to see the light of day for a very long time.

Shep

No idea where the Salida keys, but again... probably not going to see the light of day for a very long time.

And when they do eventually come to market they will likely command stupid money. :(

And when they do eventually come to market they will likely command stupid money. :(

I've got stupid money....or at least I'm stupid with my money....is that the same thing? hm

Andy

Judging from the scans I have seen you guys post, I am sure there are better copies out there of many of the books I am selling. I just came back from the San Diego comic con (and believe me I went through every dealer's inventory) and there were probably no more than 50 low to mid grade DC war books in all issues below #100. I think they are socked away in collections that may not see the light of day for many years, but even then because of the scarcity the chances of any of us owning any of them may be slim. I say get em while you can even if they are mid grade. They may be the nicest copies you see for years.

Keith

Andy, the #11 will be up for auction in the next few weeks. I will let you know when it comes up.

Thanks Keith! ...and good luck with your future auctions! (thumbs u

Andy

Judging from the scans I have seen you guys post, I am sure there are better copies out there of many of the books I am selling. I just came back from the San Diego comic con (and believe me I went through every dealer's inventory) and there were probably no more than 50 low to mid grade DC war books in all issues below #100. I think they are socked away in collections that may not see the light of day for many years, but even then because of the scarcity the chances of any of us owning any of them may be slim. I say get em while you can even if they are mid grade. They may be the nicest copies you see for years.

Keith

Just got back from San Diego and does this mean a certain HG war collector is back on the hunt again? (shrug) I'm glad to hear it Keith and only hope you buy enough books to start selling on e-bay again or even better on the forum Marketplace. Good luck with your never ending search and like you once told

me you're hooked for life like the rest of us. (thumbs u

Edited by Fazybones

Keith

The last two years I was at San Diego (2002 and 2003) it was exactly the same thing. Issues under #100 were practically non-existent in 5.0 or above. It speaks to the three big factors that make collecting early war books such a pain:

• Nice war books go into collections and stay there.

• Early war books were read to death, and not collected.

• The general scarcity of 1952-1956 DC books.

Last night, I pulled out my Star Spangled War box, and looked at a bunch of the pre-100 issues. I have a few really nice 7.0-8.0 copies, but many are 4.0-5.0.... and I'm lucky as hell to have them. Man I love these.... I know I've posted some of these before, but I can't stop myself.

ssws81.jpg

ssws17.jpg

ssws29.jpg

ssws23.jpg

ssws58.jpg