• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

Infantino, in my humble opinion, is the most underrated artist in the DC war pantheon. I love Kubert, Heath, Drucker, Grandenetti and Severin.... but poor old Carmine hardly ever gets a mention from war enthusiasts. He had that lovely angular, almost Krigstein-esque thing going on. Just a great, great artist.

Is he still with us, or has he moved on to that bog bullpen in the sky?

Shep

Infantino's work in the 60's was okay, but by the 80s his stuff was pretty bad.

:gossip: Infantino's art was smothered by his inkers. To see what he was capable of you have to look for minor stories in obscure DC titles, including the war comics. About the only mainstream work that is all his own are the Elongated Man stories.

I am. But I would like to take that one too. :devil:

(tsk)

lol

Well it's definitely not 9.2 so, since you've been outed, howazbout posting yours?

img114.jpg

:takeit:

:kidaround:

I am. But I would like to take that one too. :devil:

(tsk)

lol

Well it's definitely not 9.2 so, since you've been outed, howazbout posting yours?

img114.jpg

Oooh, I never get tired of seeing that one! Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!!!!!!!!!!!! (worship)

Andy

Although I lost all the books I was bidding on during the recent Heritage auction....I'm actually glad when I found this on ebay. Surprised no one hit the bin on this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=140144389097&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=004

Bang-Up Comics #2 CGC 8.0 Rockford (only one on the census)

good things come to those who wait.

and also this gem:

US Paratroops #2 Beth. Pedigree 9.0

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=140131452426&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=004

Edited by Paratrooper

The thing that surprised me most about the Haunted Tank sales was definitely G.I. Combat #91... I didn't see that going over $500.... completely missed that one.

What do you all think was the thing that made it so appealing...

1.) First Haunted Tank cover

2.) Ultra-person_without_enough_empathyin' Heath Greytone

3.) Rarity of that particular issue

4.) All of the above

Man, I'm glad I got my copy already.

Shep

Shep, that price killed me. The cover is beautiful. A cgc 8.0 copy sold on ebay not two years ago for around $150-$220. I still need mine. I won the 80 page giant Sgt Rock issue! Yay! I bid too little on too many books and got very few.

The thing that surprised me most about the Haunted Tank sales was definitely G.I. Combat #91... I didn't see that going over $500.... completely missed that one.

What do you all think was the thing that made it so appealing...

1.) First Haunted Tank cover

2.) Ultra-person_without_enough_empathyin' Heath Greytone

3.) Rarity of that particular issue

4.) All of the above

Man, I'm glad I got my copy already.

Shep

Shep, that price killed me. The cover is beautiful. A cgc 8.0 copy sold on ebay not two years ago for around $150-$220. I still need mine. I won the 80 page giant Sgt Rock issue! Yay! I bid too little on too many books and got very few.

No question that the Heritage Signature auctions stir up the madness like nothing else!! To wit - I bid on a CGC 9.2 copy of Our Fighting Forces #71 last year on heritage that ended up going for something like $600+fees (would probably go higher today, too). I was bummed, because I was the underbidder. Anyway, I got a beautiful CGC 8.5 about a month afterwards for $100. So, for sure there is a premium to buying from Heritage. It's where all the big fish are.

I'll keep an eye out for a primo #91 for you.

Shep

If the DC war books are getting out of reach then there's always Atlas to fall back on.

War23.jpg

NavyAction16.jpg

BattleAction8.jpg

Usually the Heath War 23 cover is my favorite but the inking and the detail on the Everett submarine cover sometimes wins me over.

Usually the Heath War 23 cover is my favorite but the inking and the detail on the Everett submarine cover sometimes wins me over.

:applause: I'd go with the War 23. :cloud9:

I had a nice copy (Might even had bought from Marc for that matter) but 143ksk took it away from me on a trade for a stooopid book I needed for my set collection :tonofbricks:

Still, I'll have an easier time to replace the War 23 than finding a reasonably priced copy of Strange Confessions # 1, the stoooopid book above-mentioned.