• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

Ya you know what your talking about doh!

And you do I suppose. meh I didn't realize you had all the answers. What are you doing wasting your time posting here. You could be curing all of societies ills with your infinite knowledge and wisdom.

Yes, I consider paying 10X guide for any non key book to be insane. I even consider paying 10X guide for a key book to be mildly cookoo.

It's my opinion and it carries just as much weight as yours. So lay off.

Dude, get a grip.

When you jump on a thread and post some base-less remark, don't expect a pat on the back.

Ya you know what your talking about doh!

And you do I suppose. meh I didn't realize you had all the answers. What are you doing wasting your time posting here. You could be curing all of societies ills with your infinite knowledge and wisdom.

Yes, I consider paying 10X guide for any non key book to be insane. I even consider paying 10X guide for a key book to be mildly cookoo.

It's my opinion and it carries just as much weight as yours. So lay off.

Dude, get a grip.

When you jump on a thread and post some base-less remark, don't expect a pat on the back.

:thumbsup: Got it boss.

We're going to see a lot more nice War books on the marketplace in the next few years. Many dealers I know are now scouring the country looking for them.

yeah. Thats the thing about this auction, and the way it goes in general. War books like these never come up for sale in such decent grades. So the frenzy produced 10x prices since who knows when they will appear again?

But, ironically, these prices will only flush out more copies. Then we will see if the "highest graded" holds up, and an idea as to just how many more comparable copies are out there. But, unless the die hard DC war collectors really sniff a peek in pricing and are tempted to get out, I dont think we will see the real picture as to scarcity for a long time. Because I dont think these guys will be tempted to sell.

Was GI Combat 80 a key? or just a sweet greytone Heath cover? Or considered scarcer than the others?

We're going to see a lot more nice War books on the marketplace in the next few years. Many dealers I know are now scouring the country looking for them.

yeah. Thats the thing about this auction, and the way it goes in general. War books like these never come up for sale in such decent grades. So the frenzy produced 10x prices since who knows when they will appear again?

But, ironically, these prices will only flush out more copies. Then we will see if the "highest graded" holds up, and an idea as to just how many more comparable copies are out there. But, unless the die hard DC war collectors really sniff a peek in pricing and are tempted to get out, I dont think we will see the real picture as to scarcity for a long time. Because I dont think these guys will be tempted to sell.

Was GI Combat 80 a key? or just a sweet greytone Heath cover? Or considered scarcer than the others?

Looking at those cover's, you could easily see what inspired some strong bidding. And while the census is light, 1960's DC war books consistantly lack in supply, as they have been hot property for a few years now, with no great hidden cache's emerging.

Plus those two books in particular with their dark cover's will always be difficult finds in grade regardless.

HOWEVER.... I do think that they are understandable by the fact that this is the first time any nice copies of these books have appeared in YEARS.... and it is unlikely the market will be flooded anytime soon.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised especially in this day of paying outrageous multiples of guide for slabbed 9.6 and 9.8 books.

Personally, I think Andy (thirdgreeham) got some of the best deals.

:o

Did you pay 10X guide for your books?

G.I. #80 is not a key, but it has become one of the toughest war books to find in any grade - it is notoriously hard to find in strict FN or better. And not just because of the black cover... it just genuinely seems to be less common than the books numbering in the 70s and later in the 80s.

From that era - say #75 when the greytones began up to #94 when the books become more common - the toughest gets are #79, #80, #88, and #91. Those four books are just total bee-yatches.

I paid $150 for my copy of #80 several years ago, and it's in the 6.5/7.0 range. I will be buried with it. One of my favorite covers of all time. I have given up hope of ever seeing one in the 9.0s.

Shep

HOWEVER.... I do think that they are understandable by the fact that this is the first time any nice copies of these books have appeared in YEARS.... and it is unlikely the market will be flooded anytime soon.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised especially in this day of paying outrageous multiples of guide for slabbed 9.6 and 9.8 books.

Are you crazy??? lol No way, buddy! I bought a lot of nice 5.5 to 7.5's for $50 to $150 bucks a piece. Very happy, yes I am! :banana:

Andy

I really hope that some new books come out of the woodwork now. Even if I don't own them, it's just amazing to see them. It is near impossible to get DC war collector's to sell their best books, something akin to pulling hen's teeth.

As Shep mentioned, GIC 80 is not a key, but a supa-scarce book in grade. In fact, I don't often see many low grade copies of that one either. hm

Andy

G.I. #80 is not a key, but it has become one of the toughest war books to find in any grade - it is notoriously hard to find in strict FN or better. And not just because of the black cover... it just genuinely seems to be less common than the books numbering in the 70s and later in the 80s.

From that era - say #75 when the greytones began up to #94 when the books become more common - the toughest gets are #79, #80, #88, and #91. Those four books are just total bee-yatches.

I paid $150 for my copy of #80 several years ago, and it's in the 6.5/7.0 range. I will be buried with it. One of my favorite covers of all time. I have given up hope of ever seeing one in the 9.0s.

Shep

thanx . turns out Im missing an 80 also. I never know if its just luck or true scarcity that causes the holes in my runs. Sometimes they are the same ones everyone else has trouble with, and other times Im sitting on a nice copy I managed to come across.

Are you crazy??? lol No way, buddy! I bought a lot of nice 5.5 to 7.5's for $50 to $150 bucks a piece. Very happy, yes I am! :banana:

Andy

Then you got some nice deals, imo.

Here's another couple of CGC 7.5's for decent prices, IMO.

SSWS #10 $131

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=17082&Lot_No=17490

SSWS #21 $77

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=17082&Lot_No=17492

Andy