• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

Nice book!!

That is one of my favorite non-greytone early GIC covers... be happy that you found a solid copy, because it is one of the tougher ones to find.

Shep

Thanks Shep, I'm very happy with it. The auction closed at $10.80 so I was even happier!

The cover really caught my attention and I was surprised that there weren't more bids

My experience with some war books is that one month, they're through the roof, and a few months later, they're under $20.

As I've always said, patience goes a long, long way.

Such a great Kubert cover.

Shep

When I want to buy some of these nicer DC war books, I have to stop looking in the Overstreet. I'm getting a very good idea of what these books are going for, but everytime I pull out the overstreet and place a bid on eBay, my bids aren't high enough to win the item. I look at the final price and look at the book and say, damn, I would've paid that much for that book, and I didn't win it because I felt compelled to consult my trusty overstreet. Argggggh! :frustrated:

Andy

When I want to buy some of these nicer DC war books, I have to stop looking in the Overstreet. I'm getting a very good idea of what these books are going for, but everytime I pull out the overstreet and place a bid on eBay, my bids aren't high enough to win the item. I look at the final price and look at the book and say, damn, I would've paid that much for that book, and I didn't win it because I felt compelled to consult my trusty overstreet. Argggggh! :frustrated:

Andy

To wit...

I just got pooched out on some FN (though they looked better) Gunner N Sarge OFFs. Andy, I think you may have been in on some bidding too... They went for MUCH higher than I had anticipated, some of the books reaching into the $60 range.

And then other times, really nice copies appear and you can get 'em for $15.

I threw out Overstreet as a practical guide to pricing war comics a long time ago.

Shep

Thanks Fay!

I was happy to win those AAMOW's, and I ended up getting a dinosaur book for my maximum bid.

I bid on almost every one of those G.I. Combat's and that's where I'm shaking my head. Some of those books looked very nice, and they went for solid prices. That guy had a very nice selection and too bad for him that he listed them under Bronze Age. I just stumbled across them this morning.

The guy's grading seemed spot on, even very harsh at times. I'm sorry to bid against Shep on a few books, but it's all fair game in the world of war comics. :shy:

Andy

Did you see his few OAAW books end and I think he graded

them FN- or FN for issue 152 and 153 and I think they both

ended over 55.00 each. I think our friend Andy from across the

pond won a book or two. (Goldust40)

Of course I had to sit on my hands and not touch my keyboard

with all my comic budget spoken for this upcoming Friday. :frustrated:

Thanks Fay!

I was happy to win those AAMOW's, and I ended up getting a dinosaur book for my maximum bid.

I bid on almost every one of those G.I. Combat's and that's where I'm shaking my head. Some of those books looked very nice, and they went for solid prices. That guy had a very nice selection and too bad for him that he listed them under Bronze Age. I just stumbled across them this morning.

The guy's grading seemed spot on, even very harsh at times. I'm sorry to bid against Shep on a few books, but it's all fair game in the world of war comics. :shy:

Andy

That's totally cool Andy. My axiom is typically 'All is fair in love and war comics'... unless I get contacted ahead of time by someone who REAAAAALLLY wants something, and asks me to back off.

Did you get any of the GICs? I'm looking to upgrade my #108, but I decided to wait until a VF comes along.

Shep

I didn't get any of the GIC's, they went for more than I was willing to spend. The 108 is a nice book to have in decent shape, but that one was Fine or Fine + and usually this book doesn't go for too much, even though it's a semi-key.

I believe that this guy had great success due to having an assortment of great books. It looks like the success of the good material also bumped up his sales on the average books as well. Good for him!

Andy

Thanks Fay!

Andy

He is very well known for undergrading his books. He has a huge following as well. I threw out a bunch of lowball bids on his books hoping to get lucky, but alas no luck. I won a Spidey book years ago that was advertised as F and would honestly grade it at VF. I have not won anything since then as I am too cheap.

Shawn

Thanks Fay!

Andy

He is very well known for undergrading his books. He has a huge following as well. I threw out a bunch of lowball bids on his books hoping to get lucky, but alas no luck. I won a Spidey book years ago that was advertised as F and would honestly grade it at VF. I have not won anything since then as I am too cheap.

Shawn

Cheap is okay, Shawn. I've got some nice cheapies coming up in this weekend's VCC. Stay posted.

Andy

Thanks Fay!

Andy

Shawn

Cheap is okay, Shawn. I've got some nice cheapies coming up in this weekend's VCC. Stay posted.

Andy

Cheap DC war... :cloud9:

Like I saw Shep write in another thread, I am on it like a fat kid on a smartie. :acclaim:

Those are kooky prices!

Last year I got OFF #71 in cgc 8.5 for $110 off the 'bay.

Still, Zilla's copy did look pretty. Same for the GIC #85.

Man, filling the holes in my GIC run is getting harder and harder every day.

Shep

I have taken a break from buying to save for the holidays, but I could not pass this up. I just have to make sure I get it home from the po box without the little lady seeing it. I'm very pleased to get this book in this grade. I hadn't even seen the book until about 2 hours before it ended.

lf.jpg