• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

Did some slab crackalackin on a restored 6.5 from heritage. Almost cost more for shipping and customs then for the comic. ondeckpulp061.jpg

God, I love this place. Great book. :cloud9:

I couldn't turn down another nice copy of this one. Wonderful, wonderful story & art.

Love "The Silent Ones" more than life itself. Though I tend to agree that the 70s had somewhat more realistic and grittier war stories than the earlier stuff--anybody who contends that the stories from the 50s were boring needs to see this Kanigher/Kubert classic. Azz-kickin' copy!

Jesus H!!!!! Have you guys been tracking this?

I would love to know everyone's thoughts on this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=320224014904&Category=14213&_trksid=p3907.m29

Shep

My thoughts are I can't believe it hit $2000. If it was a slabbed 8.0/8.5, I would have done whatever I could to be able to make a run at it, but a raw copy being offered by a seller who KNOWS what the Heritage 8.0 went for sounds like trouble. Why not pay the $50 and get it slabbed?

The seller is on these boards and seems like a nice guy and a solid guy (haven't dealt with him, but our short correspondences gave me that vibe.)

That said, is this really a $2000+ book in 8.0? I'm not trying to on anyone's rug, but I thought we'd only see that kind of money on this book when it got up towards a 9.0...

Man, I want to go downstairs and hug my FN copy right now!! For me, the threshold of 'highgrade' is lower on this book - it's just that tough to find in any kind of nice shape.. Anything 6.0 and up (raw or slabbed) is a great copy... but I think we are now officially seeing the point where those kind of nice copies of this book are getting priced out of the hands of many collectors.

2Gs....that is huge!!! I was surprised when I saw it at $750!!

Shep

The seller is on these boards and seems like a nice guy and a solid guy (haven't dealt with him, but our short correspondences gave me that vibe.)

That said, is this really a $2000+ book in 8.0? I'm not trying to on anyone's rug, but I thought we'd only see that kind of money on this book when it got up towards a 9.0...

Man, I want to go downstairs and hug my FN copy right now!! For me, the threshold of 'highgrade' is lower on this book - it's just that tough to find in any kind of nice shape.. Anything 6.0 and up (raw or slabbed) is a great copy... but I think we are now officially seeing the point where those kind of nice copies of this book are getting priced out of the hands of many collectors.

Shep

As the seller is a board member, I hope my comments don't offend anyone. I just wish it was slabbed so I could feel comfortable bidding on it. I've been stung too many times. Outside a handful of sellers, I will never pay more than a few hundred dollars for a raw book again.

when you really compare this raw copy to the Heritage 8.0, the Heritage looks much tighter, glossier and cleaner. Most of these books are very nice as best I can tell from the scans, but have many flaws CGC hammers hard. Im not trying to steer anyone away from this book so I can win it.... I was watching it but no longer feel its a good gamble at this price. I wouldnt be happy paying 2500 for a 7.0. But, in a few years? Who knows -- if that might not have been so bad after all....

The collection as a whole looks pretty solid though...

Nice pickup on the 1st J. cloud there. I still need one of those. 2K for a raw #87 seems like a huge risk, I think it as 8.0 tops personally. If it got a 7.0 what could you get for it? $1200? I want several of his books however. That being said, PM's are going out.

Mike

Shep

As the seller is a board member, I hope my comments don't offend anyone. I just wish it was slabbed so I could feel comfortable bidding on it. I've been stung too many times. Outside a handful of sellers, I will never pay more than a few hundred dollars for a raw book again.

me neither. Sometimes I violate that rule, and end up , well, violated when the book arrives as just not quite as sharp as it appeared and Id hoped. I think we get carried away by some of the rare coups we see here on the boards.

Edited by aman619

[

me neither. Sometimes I violate that rule, and end up , well, violated when the book arrives as just not quite as sharp as it appeared and Id hoped. I think we get carried away by some of the rare coups we see here on the boards.

That is an excellent point. I think there are times when we see other 'deals' that guys get off ebay, and suddenly we go onto ebay with a wad of paypal cash hoping to get just as lucky.

We've all had some good scores, and when I think back to some of mine they have been mostly based on the pure dumb luck of being in the right place at the right time. I haven't been stung REALLY badly, but there has definitely been some buyers regret here and there.

Keep an eye on the CGC census over the next few months, and see if another GIC #87 shows in the 7.0 to 8.0 range...

Shep

I looked at the new census, and there was a new JLA 1, and Flash 123 in 9.4 just added. So, who can say how many more lucky sweet raw war books remain in mylars out there? Maybe enough to go around... once their present owners tire of them that is!

As nice as the book looks structurally, the colors aren't right. GIC 87 is one of "those books" where it really makes a difference to have sharp colors. They're often miscut a little, but those pinks are something to behold in living color. That copy almost looks orange.

Structurally it looks nicer than an 8.0, but some of the sellers other offerings look a little generous on the grade.

As nice as the book looks structurally, the colors aren't right. GIC 87 is one of "those books" where it really makes a difference to have sharp colors. They're often miscut a little, but those pinks are something to behold in living color. That copy almost looks orange.

Structurally it looks nicer than an 8.0, but some of the sellers other offerings look a little generous on the grade.

You know, that brings up an interesting question about grading.

I compared that copy to my own, and for sure it's faded. Granted, it is structurally way nicer. But what trumps what here? Nicer colour, or better technical perfection? Some guys can't live with an spine creases, other want dripping wet gloss and will look past a few imperfections.

I totally agree with your call on this one... GIC #87 has a very distinctive, very appealing colour palette that jumps up at you live and in person.

Shep

My preference is for a book that looks new. Not new in that it has little wear, but new in that the colors and paper are fresh. I'd rather have a decent appearing VGF with nice bright colors and white pages than a dull FVF with brown pages.

I have some really nice books with darker pages, but they have nice colors & gloss, so I can overlook the paper. But a faded cover is a real drawback to me. One of the top turnoffs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=320224014904&Category=14213&_trksid=p3907.m29

Shep

My thoughts?

This kind of silliness means that I'll likely never get a copy of this book.

I wanted that book as well, but couldn't afford to throw big bucks at it because it was raw. Too much of a gamble.

From the scans, half of the books look like they're graded well and the other half seem to be off about 0.5 to 1.0. Well, I did win 4 books, not the ones I really wanted mind you, and I'll have a 1st hand peak at the grading when they come in.

Congrats to the seller, though, he made some very impressive sales there.

Andy

Shep

My thoughts?

This kind of silliness means that I'll likely never get a copy of this book.

You'll get one, hang in there! (thumbs u