• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

Harveylazybones, you must have really wanted that comic. heheh

Andy

Russ Heath cover :cloud9:and if I lost it to you I was buying

Bob Storm's copy for 225.00.

Andy, I guess you didn't want this comic. (shrug) I misplaced my OSPG

during the bidding and I've always liked Keith :luhv: and got carried away. :insane:

:foryou:

Edited by Fazybones

Great story Steelcity.... if you're going to have one nice Big Five book to have in your collection, you could do a lot worse than that one!

You're right... there's something about the blue cover and the checkerboard up top that just makes you melt a little. And as far as covers that tell a story, Kubert gets this one just right.

Nice!

Shep

Nice to get so many positive comments about this book. It was certainly not a priority want but now I have it I am very pleased that I did decide to buy. This is not my scan - in reality the book is even richer looking and as Shep says it looks just right for the era!

Andy

during the bidding and I've always liked Keith :luhv: and got carried away. :insane:

I did want it, I'm just jealous. :cloud9: Nice pick up! (thumbs u

andy

Andy

I did want it, I'm just jealous. :cloud9: Nice pick up! (thumbs u

andy

You're too nice Andy.

Thank you!! (worship)

OurFightingForces.jpg

I just love this cover. :cloud9: My copy isn't quite this nice. :sorry:

Thanks man... though they're taking a beating.

A lot of these were books that I bought a few years ago before I got into evaluating the really technical stuff - and before CGC really took hold. Classic pre-CGC "VFs" and "VF/NMs". They feel a lot better in hand than the grades that are coming back from the forum, but I think that's okay... my hope is to submit three or four books, and I only want to send in ones that have a solid 8.5/9.0 shot.

I'll be posting more over the next couple of days. Thanks again for all the good eyes.

Shep

The boards can be pretty harsh graders, but CGC can be more harsh. There are still some books that you've posted that I'd send away, though. I'd try to get 30 books together and put them into a "value" submission if you can swing it. It's a lot of money, but hopefully you'll get some nice grades back and you can always move your lesser graded ones for, hopefully, a good buck. 2c

Andy

You people are going to put me in the poor house. I am really, really trying not to go after OFF books and SSWS books but I keep seeing the fantastic books in these threads and it is driving me nuts. Anybody know how to put a thread on ignore.

:jokealert: sort of...

Should I put these in the gold thread or here in the war where you guys will appreciate them better? eh, post them both places.

Gorgeous!

BattleStories9CGC9.jpg

SoldierComics8CGC9.jpg

Post them in the 10cent thread :P

joking

nice books

Wow, those are great. I could tell Soldier Comics was a Fawcett by the shape of the 10-cent symbol but I've never heard of that title before! I thought I knew just about all the Fawcetts.

I'm not a big Fawcett collector nor am I big into photo covers, but ever since seeing THIS in the Gerber guide about 20 years back, I was Jonesin for it. It's so unbelievably propagandistic, I have to wonder how many 10 year-olds just laughed at it because it's so far over the top (not so much in the graphic sense as in the quote from Bill). Even Atlas flame-thrower covers seem subtle in the message they're sending compared to the rather explicit one uttered by Bill. Die, you commie rats! DIE!

billbattle.jpg

Check out the nifty back cover, too. Wouldn't it have been cool if DC did stuff like this during the Silver Age? The Big-5 rogues gallery on the back cover each issue??? Hats off to Fawcett for having the class to do cool stuff with their back covers, too. Early 1953 places this about a year before Hoppy jumped the sinking Fawcett ship for DC Comics (starting with #86).

billbattlebc.jpg

Oh, and it's the Salida. Picked it up from Greg Pharis shortly after Bruce fielded the collection about 15 years back. I think it was 20 bucks (just in case anybody wanted to add a little Tabasco Sauce to their wounds).

Hey dudes and Fay,

As was mentioned before, I went on a little OAAW scanfest, and posted some stuff over in the 'Spare a Grade' thread. For those who didn't go over, here are some of the books - and some that I didn't have a chance to post over there yet...

Anwyay, some of my favorite books...

Shep

oaaw110f.jpg

oaaw119f.jpg