• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

it probably would have been clearer with a blue sky... the black confuses the image.

Two GIs taking out a Commie rifle squad. Looks straight-forward to me. ;)

Yeah, but the original mailers are with them. I'm a high grade collector, but for the historical significance/provenance, that's pretty unique. I don't recall EVER seeing those for anything outside of a few Dells once about a decade ago. For DCs. . .never.

Hey Andy, My stamp collection with a comic inside came today. (thumbs u

Thanks,

Larry

lol

I could always cross-post this puppy.

SSWS3-1.jpg

Previosly, my CGC 5.5 was the nicest copy of this book I've ever seen. Your copy blows every copy away, I imagine. Wow!!! (worship)

"Extremely rare" is what that's referred to in "The Big Five". I've found it a pretty easy issue to pick up. I have over 5 copies of it. I think that Pedrin may just have found it difficult for himself, and perhaps it was the last issue he needed of the big five in order to complete his collection. Just a guess.

Andy

Wow! doh! I'm still thinking about that comic you just posted. :cloud9:

Thanks, Andy. Most the 10 cent war books can be found if you don't care about condition and all of them are darn tough if you do. I really like Curt Swan's artwork from this time period -- whether it's a Jimmy Olsen/Superman cover or a war cover like this one.

"Extremely rare" is what that's referred to in "The Big Five". I've found it a pretty easy issue to pick up. I have over 5 copies of it. I think that Pedrin may just have found it difficult for himself, and perhaps it was the last issue he needed of the big five in order to complete his collection. Just a guess.

Andy

Andy, I also thought of how he came up with his scarce, rare, extremely rare? Collecting now is a little different than collecting prior to 1995. The advent of the internet brings out a lot more books. One does not have to hit every LCS and Con to build a collection. I wonder if he was just going on his collection and maybe others that were also collecting the Big Five or did he have information on distribution and sales numbers? It would be interesting to see if Mick could shed a little light on the subject?

I was just wondering myself????(shrug)

Larry

Given how much copies of the Pedrin guide go for when made available for sale, it seems like a new printing is in order.

My copy has been MIA since I moved in July 07. :pullhair: I know it's packed in a box somewhere but I haven't been able to find it yet.