• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,084 posts in this topic

Thanks guys. Lucked into a small bunch of higher grade copies years ago when these books still weren't worth that much.

Man, those were the days, huh. Even back in 2002, you could still find really good deals. These books all came from the same ebay seller, and were in the $10 to $15 range. Bought six or seven off of him. Shoulda bought more... :sorry:

gic58.jpg

gic62.jpg

Perhaps if I'm feeling particularly masochistic I'll go through my 2000 Overstreet and look at values of war books. :tonofbricks:

What is even more heartbreaking for me is that back in those days I was working two jobs and had far more discretionary income than I have now. Lord, what I could have bought back then. :(

I guess I'll be happy with what I did manage to acquire.

I stopped collecting in my teens, when war books were basically used for wrapping fish... nobody wanted them.

However, my memory is that because of that, dealers never sold them!! I remember getting lists from a number of the bigger dealers back in the mid-1980s and many never even listed the DC war titles. The only silver age war book I ever bought back them was a copy of the Brave and Bold issue with the Rock, HT and Cloud (was it #52 or #53).

The thing I do remember well, though, was how much gravity the EC war books had - they were on everyone's lists and they were selling for big $$$. I bought some really ratty issue from Ed Kalb back in the mid-80s, and they weren't cheap. Two Fisted Tales and Frontline Combat were then considered to the be the ONLY war comics that were worth having. DC didn't even really factor in.

How much has changed. Now, the prices of ECs are comparitively lower, thanks no doubt to all the reprints available.

Man... look in older editions of Overstreet and they don't even break out GIC #87 or OAAW #83!!!

Shep

I stopped collecting in my teens, when war books were basically used for wrapping fish... nobody wanted them.

However, my memory is that because of that, dealers never sold them!! I remember getting lists from a number of the bigger dealers back in the mid-1980s and many never even listed the DC war titles. The only silver age war book I ever

Yeah, I remember. Back in those days I was heavily into superhero books and other than as reading copies wasn't interested in war books. I don't even remember seeing them as shows. Dealers didn't waste valuable table space on essentially worthless war comics.

These went up on the "30 Days" thread, so. . .

I bought the OFF for less than 20 bucks about 18 years back. Makes the sticker shock on the SSWS a tad bit more palatable.

aamow29.jpg

off29.jpg

ssws29.jpg

OFF from #60 to #80 seemed to be $1.50 in VF for the longest time.

Those were the days. :cloud9:

Andy

No doubt, Andy.

Some years back, I bought a nice run of OAAW from #120 to #140, with most being solid VF. 20 books, and I think the bill was $800 CDN... steep at the time, but still a good buy. The #128 alone is a $150 book.

The same dealer had OFF#40 to #90 - 50 books!!!!! Again, mostly VF and better... I had blown my metaphorical wad on the OAAWs, and missed the OFFs... they went for less than $150.... three bucks a pop.

Cue Archie and Edith... 'Those were the days.......'

Shep