• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

Wouldn't it be fun to post lets say OAAW 1-100 or the whole run in order with guys jumping in and posting when they have the book? We could do one a day? I know Andy would be able to do it.... It would be a great reference. Unfornuatly I would not be able to post to many....

Good idea for the future?

Larry

Wouldn't it be fun to post lets say OAAW 1-100 or the whole run in order with guys jumping in and posting when they have the book? We could do one a day? I know Andy would be able to do it.... It would be a great reference. Unfornuatly I would not be able to post to many....

Good idea for the future?

Larry

This is a great idea, Larry. I'd like to see if we can get this going too. My only issue is that I don't have many of my books scanned. Probably none, actually. This entails pulling out the issues and scanning, blah blah blah. Lossa trouble for me. I'd actually prefer to do this with Our Fighting Forces or Star Spangled War Stories before getting into Our Army At War. Only reason is I haven't started grading my collection from those two titles and if I'm pulling these books out to grade, I can scan them at the same time as well. (thumbs u

Who's going to start us off? Anyone out there have Our Fighting Forces #1?

Andy :popcorn:

What do you Sgt. Rock collectors consider the 1st Sgt. Rock book? Not having read any of the stories, I'm confused as to why the prototype in OAAW #81, which isn't even Kubert is worth more than #83 which Overstreet indicates is the first true Sgt. Rock appearance. And when the guide says #82 has a brief appearance in name only - does that mean it's a different character with the same name? If the the G.I. Combat #68 prototype is closer to the actual character in #81 - shouldn't it be more desirable? - or is ultimately the real appeal of OAAW #81 that it kicks off a consecutive 340+ issue run?

I'm sure all this has been addressed somewhere - but I'd also be curious to know what board members think.

heres a brief rundown, but Im not the authority by any means

#81 long considered 1st appearance, getting softer of late.

#83 Now the up and coming favorite for 1st REAL appearance of the real Sgt Rock.

GIC#68 increasngly considered the MOST important tryout Rock

#82 a filler issue with no real support as anything in particular, except the chap who just paid 6K for the HGC copy!

hows that?

A worthy investment. The Showcase edition is pretty cool, too, because you can see the artwork in it's B&W form which is occasionally preferable to color sheerly for appreciating the exquisite blacks in Kubert's inking at that point in his career. I actually like both the color AND B&W reprints.

The originals aren't anything to shake a stick at either.