• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

#82 a filler issue with no real support as anything in particular, except the chap who just paid 6K for the HGC copy!

Hee hee. . .

That might be a tiny bit understating its significance, but well said nonetheless, Aman sir.

well, I just told it as I see it, But, I used to not think much of 83 either believing in the Overstreet 81 'official' tag. But times change, so 82 might get the flag someday.

What order of significance to YOU rate 81m 82 and 83? And feel free to include GIC 68 and any other prototypes if you choose to do so too!

Good

Thanks - that puts things into perspective - so #83 may end up surpassing #81 in value.

I guess I'll have to pick up the Sgt. Rock Archive and read them all for myself.

Here's an extensive discussion that includes several points of view, including mine and comick1's.

link

Excellent thread! Now I really must buy the Archive. Sounds to me like a case where the line between prototype and first appearance will forever be vague - though there is no dispute that the Sgt. Rock of OAAW #83 is the first book where everyone agrees that the Sgt. Rock in question is the same one who appeared continuously after that - I guess matters are further complicated in that the recognizable members of Easy Co. were added over the course of years, unlike the Howlers - who were largely the same unit from the beginning.

Another topic occurs to me - who's stronger Rock or Fury?

Not a comic, but just bought this original art which has me a little excited. By Milton Caniff depicting Billy Mitchell sinking the Ostriesland

9bfd_12.jpg

Very nice! I like the fact that it's in color. :applause:

Excellent thread! Now I really must buy the Archive. Sounds to me like a case where the line between prototype and first appearance will forever be vague - though there is no dispute that the Sgt. Rock of OAAW #83 is the first book where everyone agrees that the Sgt. Rock in question is the same one who appeared continuously after that - I guess matters are further complicated in that the recognizable members of Easy Co. were added over the course of years, unlike the Howlers - who were largely the same unit from the beginning.

Sad Sack :sumo:

Sad Sack :sumo:

My favorite comic when I was 6 and 7.