• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

I guess minor resto is still far more poisonous for SA books than GA.

I'm sure I wasn't the only one here to notice the same seller recently had two slabbed copies of OAAW #83 for sale. A blue label 6.5 fails to meet reserve at $1136 - and a 5.0 with minor CT sells for $158 - heck I'm just looking for cool cheap covers, but at that price I should have thrown down a bid.

I realize a 6.5 probably fetches an additional premium over guide than a blue label 5.0 - but buying a slightly restored copy for less than 2.0 guide seems an incredible bargain in comparison.

The restored 5.0 was a steal. A great book for someone that can't afford an unrestored copy. This book will always sell for more than guide so the guide means very little here. Restored silver age books are not popular at all, probably mostly because this era of book, should be readily available in unrestored condition.

The 6.5 was a sweet book and would fit in very nicely in my collection. However, the price was more than I was willing to pay. I think that with the economy in a lull, there are fewer people out there spending money on bigger purchases. Less money in consumer's pockets should ultimately mean lower final prices on books on eBay. I'm sure that's why there was a reserve in place.

I probably should have bought that 5.0 restored just for the heck of it, though. doh!

Andy

I'm just glad I was able to snag mine at all. I paid $395 back in April 2007. It was a last minute ebay snipe that I was actually surprised to get. Initially, I thought that I had paid too much. Maybe I did. Didn't matter though, I was just glad to have it.

OAAW83CGClabel.jpg

Hey Folks,

There's a yahoo list-serve group that I belong to and there's a guy on there who's been trying his best for the better part of year to figure out which comics these stories appear in. Anybody who can help, let me know. This guy's been trying to figure this stuff out for a long time. I'm going to reprint his queries:

<<

were in some DC comic like Sgt. Rock or Unknown Soldier:

1. Story in the Pacific where a medic and a chaplain are trapped by advancing Japanese, and are finally saved when the medic tosses a vial of Nitro at the Japs. Prior to this he didn't want to violate his oath not to use violence, until he found out that the soldier who was with him (who WAS shooting back) was a chaplain.

2. Another Pacific story where a Marine enters a cave complex and encounters a Jap soldier. They get trapped and somehow call a truce, showing each other pictures of their families. I think it ended when an American bulldozer made a hole allowing the Marine to escape, but that's all I remember.>>>

I'm not familiar with either scenario, so any help would be appreciated from folks who are. Thanks!

Hey Mick,

Story #2 sounds like a tale from Frontline Combat/Two Fisted Tales... GI and NK soldier get trapped in a shellhole together, show pictures of kids etc. I'm not home now, but I can check later this week.

Hey, by the way... happy holidays!!

Talk soon,

Shep

These two arrived today - nothing special - but they were both fairly cheap on ebay - and I love the covers. I didn't realize that the OAAW #92 was a Rock cover until I saw that it mimiced the splash panel inside - and then I caught the sgt. stripes on his arm. There is a Kutrtzmanesque feel to the cover I really like (largely due to the curved back on Rock).

Originally I'd planned to limit my purchases to 10¢ and block 12 covers - but I couldn't pass up the awesome Heath cove on the G.I. Combat #123

OAAW92.jpg

GIC123.jpg

Happy New Year, everyone!!! :acclaim:

Nice to see you today, Shep! (thumbs u

Andy

You too Andy - that was pure war comics fun!

To everyone of the boards - and the war thread in particular because you all have such awesome taste - have a great 2009.... it sure is going to be an interesting one.

Shep

:banana::banana: HAPPY NEW YEAR to my fellow war buddies. :banana: :banana:

Those last two books posted were awesome. :cloud9:

Great pick-ups!! :applause: :applause:

The Postal System was moving a little slow and I finally received

a package I had been waiting for from Sugar Land, Texas. :)

This first book was a biltch to find in the right grade for me.

GIC118-1.jpg

Another Russ Heath thing of Beauty. :luhv:

OFF94-1-1-1.jpg

What a package and all of the books had incredible inside pages with that

nearly erotic smell of a well cared for comic. :banana: :banana: :insane::cloud9:

Edited by Fazybones

Those last two books posted were awesome. :cloud9:

Great pick-ups!! :applause: :applause:

The Postal System was moving a little slow and I finally received

a package I had been waiting for from Sugar Land, Texas. :)

This first book was a biltch to find in the right grade for me.

GIC118-1.jpg

Another Russ Heath thing of Beauty. :luhv:

OFF94-1-1-1.jpg

What a package and all of the books had incredible inside pages with that

nearly erotic smell of a well cared for comic. :banana: :banana: :insane::cloud9:

What a great pair of books (worship)

Very nice pick ups Fay (thumbs u

Thanks Mike,

A few more out of the same package that I nervously waited for

as more time went on.

GIC105-1.jpg

OAAW175-1.jpg

OAAW98-2.jpg

It was well worth the wait and I have a few more to show off and will try to

show some restraint like Andy or AdamStrange and post them in the future.

I posted this one a while back in Gold, but what the heck -- this is the most active war thread and I actually have it in hand now.

G. I. Combat 7 (Quality) from June 1953. GCD says that there might be a Crandall story but I don't see it. Beater condition, but who cares?

gicomb7.jpg

Jack

OAAW98-2.jpg

It was well worth the wait and I have a few more to show off and will try to

show some restraint like Andy or AdamStrange and post them in the future.

That OAAW 98 looks like a really nice copy. Score, Faye!!!

That OFF 94 is awesome, too!