• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,086 posts in this topic

By the way... huge props to all for the 500th page!!

War collectors rule.

250th page :gossip: (for me)

334 :cool:

Anyone know whose GIC 114 this is? The asking price is, ummm, shall we say a bit aggressive. Can't imagine anyone would even bid half of that.

My CGC 8.0 is for sale for $240. A .5 grade bump and a $455 price bump. Well, no harm in trying right. Maybe I should raise my price? hm

Jack, atsa nice! You're going to show us all the other ones you have, too, right??!?!?!?

If I can figure out where they are. I don't have too many cgc graded ones, but certainly enough to have some more fun. Most of my war stuff is ungraded. Nothing spectacular. That was my favorite reading material as a kid during the 1960's. DC War Comics and Doc Savage paperbacks. Thanks.

Jack

HI, all.

Just getting my feet wet in the War genre, and I think this will sound a bit off-kilter to a lot of folks, but I really have a fondness for Russ Heath Sgt. Rock and was wondering if anyone can identify the issue of OAAW in which Heath took over as the primary/lead artist on Sgt Rock stories?

Thanks in advance,

-Yoram

There was a transition of sorts. Heath did a few issues in the OAAW 180s and 190s interspersed among the Kubert stuff. He really hit his stride with issue 208, and the vast majority of issues after that were by him up until around issue #264. There were sporadic Heath issues after that. That run from 208-264 is amongst the best DC war comics writing and art ever done. Also featured lotsa nice backups by the likes of Glanzman and Estrada. This discussion does fit here because that stuff is late Silver Age, but it also fits in the BA war thread (not to steal their thunder).

There was a transition of sorts. Heath did a few issues in the OAAW 180s and 190s interspersed among the Kubert stuff. He really hit his stride with issue 208, and the vast majority of issues after that were by him up until around issue #264. There were sporadic Heath issues after that. That run from 208-264 is amongst the best DC war comics writing and art ever done. Also featured lotsa nice backups by the likes of Glanzman and Estrada. This discussion does fit here because that stuff is late Silver Age, but it also fits in the BA war thread (not to steal their thunder).

Thanks, Comick1. I'm really looking forward to picking up those back issues and immersing myself in that great Heath artwork. (thumbs u