• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,086 posts in this topic

Some very cool Glanzman covers there Shep! :cloud9:

Yeah, that redeems them, but many of those Charltons were just so ordinary and uninspired. Not without their charm in some cases but as a whole (and excepting the Glanzman stuff), not very good.

Edited by Jeffro

Agreed... mostly dreck.

In some ways, they remind me of the Atlas books of the 1950s.... those titles had some classic covers, and great art jobs by Severin, Heath, Colan and Krigstein scattered throughout, but a large part of those books was pure dreck.

It really does make you marvel at how consistent the quality of DC war books was during this time. Consider the other publishers...

Harvey... dreck.

Charlton... dreck, with exceptions.

Quality... GI Combats prior to DC's takeover with #44.... dreck, with the exception of Crandall.

Marvel.... Don't get me wrong, there are some marvellous things about Sgt. Fury, but pretty.... um... drecky for the most part.

In fact, when you survey war comics as a genre, only a couple of other titles compare. Of course, the ECs were incredible... but they really only lasted three years, and the later issues of Two Fisted Tales really started to fall off, and Aces High was not a great title. And Blazing Combat - some of the best war material ever - lasted a mere four issues. And at the other end of the timeline, the 'NAM lasted nearly 100 issues, but I would really only reccommend the first dozen or so as truly top notch.

DC War comics - 35 years, and something in the neighborhood of 1600 issues (Andy, you probably know the number off by heart.) And you can grab practically any issue from any era and find at least one lovely thing to appreciate.

I really can't think of a comparable achievement in comics...

Shep

Yeah, it's really an incredible run.

I was just thinking the other day that I could not remember one 10 or 12 cent DC war comic cover done by Mort Drucker. I don't think he did any covers did he? Even Heath didn't do that many covers. Certainly not nearly as many as Grandenetti and Kubert.

I believe that Kubert holds the DC record for covers... it's well over a thousand.

And you're right... I think that poor old Mort didn't do a single one.

Aside from Kubert and Grandenetti, I'd say the two most prolific cover arts across the entire DC war age ('52-'88) were probably Irv Novick and the ridiculously underrated Luis Dominguez.

Yeah, it's really an incredible run.

I was just thinking the other day that I could not remember one 10 or 12 cent DC war comic cover done by Mort Drucker. I don't think he did any covers did he? Even Heath didn't do that many covers. Certainly not nearly as many as Grandenetti and Kubert.

Man, I am hooked on the Heath Sgt Rock stories. Picking up as many issues as I can to read. While Kubert deserves praise for his work on Rock, I feel Heath deserves more praise for his run.

Agreed... mostly dreck.

In some ways, they remind me of the Atlas books of the 1950s.... those titles had some classic covers, and great art jobs by Severin, Heath, Colan and Krigstein scattered throughout, but a large part of those books was pure dreck.

It really does make you marvel at how consistent the quality of DC war books was during this time. Consider the other publishers...

Harvey... dreck.

Charlton... dreck, with exceptions.

Quality... GI Combats prior to DC's takeover with #44.... dreck, with the exception of Crandall.

Marvel.... Don't get me wrong, there are some marvellous things about Sgt. Fury, but pretty.... um... drecky for the most part.

In fact, when you survey war comics as a genre, only a couple of other titles compare. Of course, the ECs were incredible... but they really only lasted three years, and the later issues of Two Fisted Tales really started to fall off, and Aces High was not a great title. And Blazing Combat - some of the best war material ever - lasted a mere four issues. And at the other end of the timeline, the 'NAM lasted nearly 100 issues, but I would really only reccommend the first dozen or so as truly top notch.

DC War comics - 35 years, and something in the neighborhood of 1600 issues (Andy, you probably know the number off by heart.) And you can grab practically any issue from any era and find at least one lovely thing to appreciate.

I really can't think of a comparable achievement in comics...

Shep

I've gotta stick up for the Atlas books here. When it comes to pre-code, I'd rank Atlas above DC. Seems like every issue had something pretty spectacular.

Post-code, they really suffered and it was often bad enough that even a Heath or Severin cover couldn't salvage it. But pre-code... that's good stuff.

Even then, some of the most brilliant Atlas stuff was post-code. There are some unbelievably beautiful and compelling stories in so many issues by the likes of Williamson, Torres, Drucker, Heath, Severin, Maneely, Sinnott, Benulis, and even Kirby.

Pre and post code both had fantastic stuff.

I think that the way I've collected Atlas war has been Heath, Severin, Colan, and Krigstein... and if those artists aren't involved, fuggedaboudit. Which may be a bit narrow-minded.... I'll have to check out more of the other artists.

So as not to appear like a ! :grin:

Really enjoy Kirby's stories in Battle. 2c

True Storytime! Yesterday, I'm talking to a collector friend of mine about GI Combat 87, and I even descibe the cover. Also during the conversation, we both state that we've not been in a certain local shop in too long.

Today, I decide to go to that shop, Dragon's Lair in Omaha, NE. I see that same friend walking out as I'm coming in. He starts laughing, and shows me his purchase; you guessed it, GI Combat 87. The thing was a solid VG, and it sold for sixty freaking dollars. I missed it by ten minutes, tops. :frustrated:

They do still have a decent OAAW 91 that I'm considering... hm

True Storytime! Yesterday, I'm talking to a collector friend of mine about GI Combat 87, and I even descibe the cover. Also during the conversation, we both state that we've not been in a certain local shop in too long.

Today, I decide to go to that shop, Dragon's Lair in Omaha, NE. I see that same friend walking out as I'm coming in. He starts laughing, and shows me his purchase; you guessed it, GI Combat 87. The thing was a solid VG, and it sold for sixty freaking dollars. I missed it by ten minutes, tops. :frustrated:

You should be buying that book. 2c

Even then, some of the most brilliant Atlas stuff was post-code. There are some unbelievably beautiful and compelling stories in so many issues by the likes of Williamson, Torres, Drucker, Heath, Severin, Maneely, Sinnott, Benulis, and even Kirby.

Pre and post code both had fantastic stuff.

Yeah, some nice stuff there. I've become quite the Maneely convert over the last couple years. Guy was/is underrated.

Something very cool... yes, more of a bronze age item, but I thought you fellas might like to see it.

Been looking for this for quite some time. I've been aware of it, but I have never been able to find a copy... until one popped up on ebay a couple of weeks back.

nytmag.jpg

You should be buying that book. 2c

My wife just bought it for me! :luhv::whee:

Something very cool... yes, more of a bronze age item, but I thought you fellas might like to see it.

Been looking for this for quite some time. I've been aware of it, but I have never been able to find a copy... until one popped up on ebay a couple of weeks back.

nytmag.jpg

What th'?

Never heard of that? Where'd you first see that? Pretty cool, Shep. Any chance you could scan/post the article?