• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

My brother-in-law attended an elementary school during the "I'm OK, You're OK" early 1970's that wanted to avoid an aggressive mascot and the negativity that came with it. So they were officially The Super Chickens.

Super Chicken can be quite aggressive. . .especially after guzzling the super sauce from her martini glass. She's still pissed off about losing her brother (and sidekick) Fred who was also a red-eared slider. I haven't had the nerve to tell her that Fred's pushing up the daisies in the backyard.

As nice as it looks...

gic69.jpg

Wow. Looks as nice as the 9.2 that brought big money on CLink. (worship)

As of now the highest graded 69 is an 8.0. I think you are thinking of the 9.2 #83.

I was browsing through my Pedrin guide last night and it seems like the idea was that there would be subsequent issues released. # 2, # 3 etc. At least that's the impression I get. Although, others than new articles and maybe some interviews, I'm not sure how different subsequent issues would have been. (maybe I just answered my own question :) )

Anyone know if that was the plan and if so, why hasn't there been another issue?

I was browsing through my Pedrin guide last night and it seems like the idea was that there would be subsequent issues released. # 2, # 3 etc. At least that's the impression I get. Although, others than new articles and maybe some interviews, I'm not sure how different subsequent issues would have been. (maybe I just answered my own question :) )

Anyone know if that was the plan and if so, why hasn't there been another issue?

I always had hoped that Mr Pedrin would expand his guide to include Marvel/Atlas titles and then perhaps eventually other publishers as well (Prize, Mainline, Standard, Charlton,etc), thus making his the comprehensive guide to war comics.

I spoke with Chris back in 2002 at the Big Five Collectors Summit Dinner, and he said he was working on an update. But, considering it's been 16 years since the original came out (!!!) I think that we probably won't see a second edition.

I was seriously (half way through) writing a review-based book about DC's bronze age war comics... and if that was successful, I was considering doing a second edition about the silver age. But it's an enormous undertaking... if you want to go deep with the content.

What comicdom probably needs is a nice, thick book that takes 70 year overview of war comics. Aside from DC, there should be coverage of Golden Age, Atlas, EC, Marvel, Warren, Charlton, Foreign and smaller publishers. That would be a fascinating book. Again, a sh*tload of work.

Shep