• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

I don't think it's easy to have a neutral opinion about Kurtzman's art. To me it's brutally honest and stripped down to essentials without regard to ornamentation of any sort. I love it! :headbang:

tft26.jpg

There's something about the Kurtzman depiction of anatomy that is singularly his in all the world. Curved and angular figures that are more expressive in pose than whatever is being conveyed facially. Between his MAD work and his incredible war catalogue, it's hard to imagine a single artist who used curved lines to draw the human figure in such simple yet effective ways. Even Toth's increasingly simplified and stylized line wasn't as expressive. The #18, 19, 25, 28, and 29 all feature virtually nothing in the way of straight lines in the figure or the drapery of clothing and the few straight lines in each of the covers are used only for technology or weaponry. Incredible stuff that I never get tired of looking at. Love it more than life itself!

One of my single favorite comics of all time... not a single wrong note from cover to cover.

tft34.jpg

Killer stuff Shep. This one in particular (worship)

Great cover! That is one sweet book!