• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

I don't have and OAAW #100, but I do have a war comics sale coming up!

Check the selling thread on Wednesday afternoon... going to be some nice OAAW books, a few sweet GICs, and some other tasty stuff.

Thanks!

Brian

How about 2 number 100s. :insane:

Love that book, no matter how many times I see it. Let's see EVERYBODY's OAAW 100. C'mon, folks. Cough up the pix!

I'll look through my pics. Might take a week, but I'll post one or two. (thumbs u

btw looking forward to the sale, Shep. It's fun buying books again. :whee:

I don't have and OAAW #100, but I do have a war comics sale coming up!

Check the selling thread on Wednesday afternoon... going to be some nice OAAW books, a few sweet GICs, and some other tasty stuff.

Thanks!

Brian

Thanks Andy. It's starting up around 1pm EST (2 1/2 hours from now). Mostly 12 center GI Combat and Our Army at War books... some real sweeties in there too.

Talk soon!

Shep

You caught me off guard, Shep. I was expecting Wednesday as you mentioned. :eek:

Great books offered, I've gotta say~ :applause:

I have started a poll in Comics General to determine if there is enough intertest for the contest, that I mentioned last month, "DC's Big Five War Splash page or Panel contest". If you wish to particiapte be sure and vote in the poll by noon February 21.

Thanks

Dale

Edited by frozentundraguy

RIP John Severin illustrator of many Marvel and other War comics.

I'm heartbroken. I just hoped he would live (and draw) forever.

He was one of the greatest comic artists of all time... and one of my three faves (Heath and Kubert are in there too.)

90 years old, and drawing up until fairly recently. A class act, and an incredible talent.

Thanks John,

Shep

RIP John Severin illustrator of many Marvel and other War comics.

I'm heartbroken. I just hoped he would live (and draw) forever.

He was one of the greatest comic artists of all time... and one of my three faves (Heath and Kubert are in there too.)

90 years old, and drawing up until fairly recently. A class act, and an incredible talent.

Thanks John,

Shep

I echo your comments. What a loss. :sorry:

John Severin was an extraordinarily generous person. When we sponsored him to visit in SD for the War Comics Summit back in '96 or '97, he very reluctantly came out with a bunch of arm-twisting from his wife. He hated flying, but opted in the end to fly out. Unbeknownst to me, she was a diabetic and had circulatory problems at the time. I remember seeing him briefly at the convention on Thursday of the con and when I returned to see him later in the day, he wasn't there anymore. Then he WAS at the dinner. We asked him where his wife was (we were fully expecting them both to attend) and he said that she wasn't feeling well and couldn't attend. He was very gracious and stuck around for about an hour despite us telling him to head back to tend to his wife. I remember feeling so grateful that he was so generous with his time because I knew a lot of the war-comics guys were so much looking forward to meeting him.

I found out the next day that she wasn't just sick in the hotel room, but actually in the hospital. The nature of her illness wasn't revealed to me [or anybody] until I went to the hospital to visit them a couple days later. . he met me in the lobby and told me that her lower leg had to be amputated. I just remember thinking that he was impossibly humble wanting to share so little of these trials with anybody. . .trying to "shield" anybody from likely myriad woes. They weren't even in their home state. . .Colorado. I asked him what I could do to make things a bit easier for him and he refused to let me do anything. He'd come all the way out to SD only to have such a tragic circumstance for his beloved life-partner. About a week later, he was back in CO and I spoke with both of them a couple weeks later. They were both very upbeat on the phone and genuinely gracious. He was such an incredible gentleman from the moment I first spoke to him to each of the subsequent times I'd had contact with him. The type of guy who had a jolly sense of humor and was more concerned with how other folks were doing than is humanly possible.

He KNEW that she was in bad shape when he was sitting at the dinner, but didn't tell anybody HOW bad it was because he knew that we were a bunch of fans who'd scraped together some $$$ to get him to attend our dinner and enjoy a small amount of time interacting with him. He knew that if he revealed she was in the hospital, we would've picked him up bodily and taken him there. I'm shaking my head right now as I type this because it's still an astounding testament to the giving kind of person he was.

Hats off to Gentleman John. . .indeed a class act every step of the way.