• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

Canada Post came through with flying colors and I can't thank our good

buddy Andy enough for these awesome books and I am one happy

collector right now. (thumbs u :acclaim:

Here are some books that arrived and I love them all. :cloud9:

Wow! You really went to town! I'm surprised you could even lift a package of that size.

(thumbs u

Our post office is only a couple of blocks away and I hate to admit

I had to stop a couple of times to take a breather. :preach:

Thanks for the compliments on my new books guys. (thumbs u

Hey all,

Lucked into a reasonably priced copy of the mammoth DC 75th Anniversary book , so I picked it up. 18 pounds! It's pretty great

Couple of interesting war-related things that are in there...

First, considering the importance of DC war, I thought the war titles were very under-represented. There were four or five pages dedicated to war books, and some other individual bits throughout the books, but overall not a lot of DC war. Considering that DC ran the war genre longer (and arguably, better) than anyone else, I thought that was bit of a drop.

What I was REALLY interested in were images of Donnefeld's 'Ledger'. He had small colour reproductions of each book pasted in a ledger book, with printing and sales info, and a percentage of print run sold number. Apparently, he was very, very particular. I would LOVE to see the data on the war books of the 50s and 60s. I was told several years ago (by Paul Levitx himself) that such data didn't exist for any books prior to 1975!

There were also shots of Julie Schwartz' records, which indicate which artists and writers did what. It actually mentions that Kanigher didn't have much interest in book-keeping, and Julie kept the records on the war books. There are actually notes on the photo taken that show the credit info on a couple of DC war titles.

The best shot in the entire book is the photo of Jack Adler doing the colour separations for GI Combat #88, which is one of my favorite covers. Great.

Not sure how many of you have picked this up, but it's a great book. The text by Paul Levitz is full of great anecdotes. The reproduction is killer. I know that most of the comic images, particularly of the gold and silver books, came from Ian Levine's collection. While very cool, I think that they could have found better copies to reproduce from. Many of the early books had particularly obvious (and sometimes bad) restoration. Still, that's a small bugaboo.

I'll try and scan the Adler photo over the weekend.

Shep

Hey all,

Lucked into a reasonably priced copy of the mammoth DC 75th Anniversary book , so I picked it up. 18 pounds! It's pretty great

Couple of interesting war-related things that are in there...

First, considering the importance of DC war, I thought the war titles were very under-represented. There were four or five pages dedicated to war books, and some other individual bits throughout the books, but overall not a lot of DC war. Considering that DC ran the war genre longer (and arguably, better) than anyone else, I thought that was bit of a drop.

What I was REALLY interested in were images of Donnefeld's 'Ledger'. He had small colour reproductions of each book pasted in a ledger book, with printing and sales info, and a percentage of print run sold number. Apparently, he was very, very particular. I would LOVE to see the data on the war books of the 50s and 60s. I was told several years ago (by Paul Levitx himself) that such data didn't exist for any books prior to 1975!

There were also shots of Julie Schwartz' records, which indicate which artists and writers did what. It actually mentions that Kanigher didn't have much interest in book-keeping, and Julie kept the records on the war books. There are actually notes on the photo taken that show the credit info on a couple of DC war titles.

The best shot in the entire book is the photo of Jack Adler doing the colour separations for GI Combat #88, which is one of my favorite covers. Great.

Not sure how many of you have picked this up, but it's a great book. The text by Paul Levitz is full of great anecdotes. The reproduction is killer. I know that most of the comic images, particularly of the gold and silver books, came from Ian Levine's collection. While very cool, I think that they could have found better copies to reproduce from. Many of the early books had particularly obvious (and sometimes bad) restoration. Still, that's a small bugaboo.

I'll try and scan the Adler photo over the weekend.

Shep

Would love to see that scan, Shep, if you get the chance. (thumbs u

That would be a great book to have, how much do they go for?

oaaw101.jpg

Beautiful Rock book every step of the way. Ultra-classic Kanigher and Kubert story, too. Man, I love those!

Me too. Unfortunately I'm a little late to the party. So not only are they tough to come by in nice shape but they are also getting pricey. Fortunately this one kind of fell through the cracks in the last Comiclink auction.

I noticed that. If I didn't have my $$ going to other books, I might've gone after it, but there're just too many war books that are competing for my $$ these days. Wish I could buy in dozens of different directions!