• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

Hello guys,

I have been reading these boards for a while and somehow missed this thread. I was one of the guys who went crazy on Zilla's auction. I do feel a little selfish (and poorer), but a small part of me regrets the others that I bid on that I didn't win.

AAMOW 99, 102

GIC 101, 108, 145, 155

OAAW 116, 123, 125, 132, 133, 135, 143, 150, 151, 156, 164, 202, 229, 241, 245, 248, 249, 275

OFF 117

SSWS 146, 163

I have bought several comics from Zilla and have always been happy. I have found him to be an extremely fair grader with exceptional service and packaging, so he gets a big bump from me (and others I think) for Ebay safety. I have a couple of sensational war books at CGC that I bought from him earlier this year and I will post them when I get them. (Tease)

I had to really pay for the privilege but I am most looking forward to reading this beauty.

OurArmyatWar135.jpg

That Yellow is blinding!!! Great Book!!

Larry

Edited by Hedge

NICE ONE!!!!!!

....i hate you.

:applause:

Just curious, did you make an offer or just hit the BIN?

BIN, I was affraid by the time someone else saw the book it would be gone. Lots of money though.

BIN, I was affraid by the time someone else saw the book it would be gone. Lots of money though.

Naw, that was money well spent.

Shep

I'm primarily a horror fan. Although, I picked up a few prize battle tale reader copies to read.

Man, let me just say, I'm impressed! Some of the stories, like, "The D.I. and the sand fleas" are feature film worthy. I'll probably start getting more hooked on War/Sgt. Rock tales in the future. Are the bronze war stories this good?

6wo525y.jpg

8gggfad.jpg

Real cool story, that one. DC war from all periods are chalked full of great stories. Don't be afraid to pick any of them up, especially readers as they can be found relatively cheaply. (thumbs u

Andy

A lot of the BA Sgt Rock stories are by Russ Heath. Definitely different than Kubert but it's some of Heath's best work.

Hmmmm... in grade. INTERESTING QUESTION.

My 'in grade' scale slides a little....

Basically, 'in grade' means 'in high grade.'

Applied to war books that means......

For books 1953-1960, that's 7.0 and up.

1960-1965, 8.0 and up

1966 -1970 9.0 and up

1970 onwards 9.4 and up (with some allowance for SUPER sharp 9.2 with unoffending technical flaws.)

But.... that's just me.

Hope that helps!

Shep

In grade is an interesting question. My 2 cents. I tend to look at it like this, I feel Hi Grade is where the top maybe 5% to 10% of that particular issue fall. Sheps scale is very accurate and probably closer to 5%. My In Grade tends to be the paramaters that I tend to collect in and that goes on a personal basis. My In Grade probably includes the the top 20% of the issue. In conversations and posts on these boards I ussually assume when someone is talking about In Grade they mean Hi Grade. I also like very Hi Grade books but I feel there is great value in 8.5 and 9.0 of lets say Bronze OAAW books. I also find awesome value in $1 reader copies (Thanks Andy).

Larry