• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Philly Con reports...????

94 posts in this topic

I'm not really sure if I am coddling the "promoter" with the below suggestion but here is what I would have liked to see when I was a collector and wouldn't mind seeing from a dealer perspective. Now maybe it's not perfect but is more reflective of what I would have wanted to see when I was collecting. It also gives a representation of what will be at the show and a case for arguing with people who say there was "nothing there"

Confirmed Dealers include:

WEB-HEAD ENTERPRISES

Specializes in Modern Comics from 1980 - present

Sells CGC Yes, Primarily Modern Age

Dealer Comment: Over 10 new variant covers in stock for this show!

Contact name: Dealer name

Contact phone # Dealer number

Email address:

COMICALLY SPEAKING

Category: Gold/Silver/Bronze Age/Art

Specializes in Gold/Siver Bronze age comics from 1939 - 1985

Sells CGC: Yes, extensive inventory of Silver/Bronze Age

Dealer Comment: Over 100 new Golden issues issues will be at the show!

Email address:

LARRY'S COMICS

Sells CGC: Extensive inventory of Moderns

Email address:

GOLDEN AGE COLLECTIBLES

Specializes in Golden Age Comics from 1939-1948

Sells CGC: Limited inventory of Bronze age

Dealer Comment: 2 new covers, 10 new pages of original art!

Email address:

CHRIS'S COMICS

Email address:

JIM PAYETTE RARE BOOKS AND COMICS

Category: Gold/Silver/Bronze Age

Specializes in Golden Age Comics from 1939 - 1945

Sells CGC: Limited inventory of Silver age

Dealer Comment: Batman #1, Detective #38!

Email address:

SUPERWORLD

Specializes in high grade Silver/Bronze Age Comics from 1959 - present, Low grade Golden age from 1939 - 1948

Sells CGC: Limited inventory of Silver age CGC material

Dealer Comment: New 2000 Bronze age collection to be unveiled at the show!

Email address:

MONKEYHOUSE ENTERTAINMENT

Category: Modern

Sells CGC: No

Dealer Comment: Over 25 new long boxes of books priced from .50 - $1.00!

Email address:

ODYSSEY COMICS

Specializes in Golden/Silver/Bronze Comics from 1939 - 1985

Sells CGC: Limited inventory of Silver/Bronze Age

Dealer Comment: 2 magazine boxes of new books, 20% off sale this weekend!Contact name: Dealer name

Email address:

PAPERBACK BAZAAR

Category: Modern/TradePaperbacks

Dealer Comment: Over 10 new long boxes of Trade paperbacks at 50% will be at the show!

Email address:

CARD & COMIC COMPANY

Category: Silver/Bronze Age

Specializes in low grade Silver/Bronze Comics from 1959 - 1985

Sells CGC: Limited inventory of Silver Age

Dealer Comment: New lowgrade collection containing keys will be at the show!

Email address:

SIGNED EDITION

Category: Modern Age

Specializes in Signature Series Modern Comics from 1980 - present

Sells CGC: Extensive inventory of Signature Series Moderns

Dealer Comment: Marvel Zombies #1 9.8, Ultimate Spiderman #1 9.8 will be at the show, Come check us out!

Email address:

I'm not sure what you are asking for when you are asking people what is missing in your advertising for the show. How about some clarification on the advertising you are currently doing?

Handouts: I'm sure you are distributing them to stores in the area, they are distributed at your show and I've seen you passing them out at other local shows.

Mailing lists - I guess we'll go on "faith" that you have a large one. That you bought Fred Greenburgh's list when he folded? Maybe you've bought other promoter's mailing lists? For New York you are using your own or purchased Mike's from Big Apple?

Email addresses - I know I've gotten a notification so I'm assuming that this is a part of your convention/customer mailing list but again I'm going on faith that it's large.

What newspapers do you advertise in if any? This is not directed at you but I did not see one advertisement in Newsday for the 3 day Big Apple show. Hmmm, how many people in Long Island read newsday? Answer, quite a few. Buying power of people who read Newsday, pretty good. Demographics of the reader and income levels would drive where I might put advertising.

Cable/Local channels? Now I know this is not economical at the local show level but at the major shows you have to ask yourself the cost versus reward. Now while it's "logical" to think that your core audience is glued to the Sci Fi channel or cartoon network is that really where your buying audience is? If you want to get the kids in then I guess it is, if you want their parents do you think they watch those channels?

Printed handouts - Why do some promoters give or mail me handouts when I don't have a store? You know who has a great promotional, Motor City comics who gives aways bags with their upcoming show dates. I give out those bags all year long. Now here's where you might have a case to lay some blame my way. If I want my customers to come visit me at shows I should put inserts into my mailorders of what upcoming shows I will be at. And this is "advice I am not currently using" but I think I will start.

Focusing some of your energies into promoting the Boston show might be a good start.

Being a small family run operation our energies were drawn down this past Winter/Spring with sports, (my wife and I both coached basketball and all four children played never mind baseball/softball) proms, graduations, drivers licenses and college preparation.

Taking over the thirty year run of the East Hartford show and a brand new show in Manhattan also put a small dent into my time. Never mind the record shows and setting up as a dealer all over the northeast. Hawthorne N.J.anyone? (I enjoyed it Allan and I would do it again).

Take a look at the July 23rd Boston and July 30th New York City shows at primatepromotions.com. I think that the energy is back.

Then tell me (privately) what they need thats comic book related and

cost effective. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

GOLDEN AGE COLLECTIBLES

893whatthe.gif That's not my link! *

Thta's a great idea Bob, soliciting the attending dealers would certainly inform the potential buying public as to what might be available. thumbsup2.gif

*I think that domain name was taken but not active when I secured mine, plus they spell Collectables different from me...

I'm not really sure if I am coddling the "promoter" with the below suggestion but here is what I would have liked to see when I was a collector and wouldn't mind seeing from a dealer perspective. Now maybe it's not perfect but is more reflective of what I would have wanted to see when I was collecting. It also gives a representation of what will be at the show and a case for arguing with people who say there was "nothing there"

Confirmed Dealers include:

WEB-HEAD ENTERPRISES

Sells CGC Yes, Primarily Modern Age

COMICALLY SPEAKING

Specializes in Gold/Siver Bronze age comics from 1939 - 1985

Sells CGC: Yes, extensive inventory of Silver/Bronze Age

Dealer Comment: Over 100 new Golden issues issues will be at the show!

LARRY'S COMICS

GOLDEN AGE COLLECTIBLES

CHRIS'S COMICS

JIM PAYETTE RARE BOOKS AND COMICS

Category: Gold/Silver/Bronze Age

Specializes in Golden Age Comics from 1939 - 1945

Sells CGC: Limited inventory of Silver age

Dealer Comment: Batman #1, Detective #38!

SUPERWORLD

Specializes in high grade Silver/Bronze Age Comics from 1959 - present, Low grade Golden age from 1939 - 1948

Sells CGC: Limited inventory of Silver age CGC material

Dealer Comment: New 2000 Bronze age collection to be unveiled at the show!

MONKEYHOUSE ENTERTAINMENT

Category: Modern

Sells CGC: No

Dealer Comment: Over 25 new long boxes of books priced from .50 - $1.00!

ODYSSEY COMICS

Specializes in Golden/Silver/Bronze Comics from 1939 - 1985

Sells CGC: Limited inventory of Silver/Bronze Age

Dealer Comment: 2 magazine boxes of new books, 20% off sale this weekend!Website: www.odysseycomics.com

PAPERBACK BAZAAR

Category: Modern/TradePaperbacks

Dealer Comment: Over 10 new long boxes of Trade paperbacks at 50% will be at the show!

CARD & COMIC COMPANY

Category: Silver/Bronze Age

Specializes in low grade Silver/Bronze Comics from 1959 - 1985

Sells CGC: Limited inventory of Silver Age

Dealer Comment: New lowgrade collection containing keys will be at the show!

SIGNED EDITION

Category: Modern Age

Specializes in Signature Series Modern Comics from 1980 - present

Sells CGC: Extensive inventory of Signature Series Moderns

Dealer Comment: Marvel Zombies #1 9.8, Ultimate Spiderman #1 9.8 will be at the show, Come check us out!

Yes, Bob I do list all attending dealers with web-site links but expanding the information is something that I will certainly do. I have always been willing to listen to your suggestions.

what about a small discount/incentive for first time collectors or dealers for setting up at the show? might be a way to get repeat business....

better raffles other than primate bucks or whatever that is....maybe have veteran dealers offer up a book or some HCs or something in exchange for 5-10% off their set up fee? or maybe an artist offer up a commission? or charge $1 for a raffle ticket for a high end item?

the early admission is good but as usual the "stuff" that attracts hard core high grade collectors is often gone. But now that bob is no longer setting up, it might give those collectors a shot. tongue.gif

promote new collections from dealers.

advertise in comic shops (if they will allow it) and send them fliers.

if possible offer convention exclusives? might be $$ though...

Mailing lists - I guess we'll go on "faith" that you have a large one. That you bought Fred Greenburgh's list when he folded? Maybe you've bought other promoter's mailing lists? For New York you are using your own or purchased Mike's from Big Apple?

I started with zero in Boston.

I started with zero in New York City.

I have a large mailing list that I have built up over the last 17 years.

As far as I know Mr. Malouff bought the mailing list from Fred/Great Eastern Conventions when he was going to take over the Boston show with Mr. Muchin. We all know how that worked out.

I have worked hard for a long time and built a reputation for not bearing fools lightly.They know who they are. I have always been fair to everybody but three strikes and you're out. This business has to have the highest percentage of jerks of any field that I have worked in. The only reason that I even got into this business again was when I saw the way that people like Larry Curcio of Avalon Comics (who later became a friend) and Fred Greenberg would treat a paying customer and swore that I could do it better. That was 17 years ago and I am still here. If the day comes and the jerks take over I can walk away quietly and say that I was fair and logical and gave everybody at least a second chance.

BlazingBob,

Thanks for the tips on promoting from a dealers perspective,I plan on using them for my "JMV Comic Book Shows here in Texas.They can be applied not only to comic book shows but other collectibles show promotions as well.

Its nice to see someone who can put forth some intelligent and constructive advice on shows rather than just complain and flame the promoter on the forum boards.

Please consider setting up at shows in Texas...Dallas Comic Con,Wizard World,or maybe even my one day JMV Comic Book Shows ,I would hook you up with 3 or 4 tables for free.( www.jmventertainment.com )

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

James Vaughn

Event Manager

JMV Entertainment

George, I'm flattered that you think I sucked all the good stuff out of the room.

Has it ever occurred to you that maybe I'll pay more and that's why I am sold books?

I would also like to keep this thread ontrack so if you want to start a "Why can't I buy Highgrade cheap at shows" thread we can flame all day long.

I would also like to keep this thread ontrack so if you want to start a "Why can't I buy Highgrade cheap at shows" thread we can flame all day long.

Thank you for keeping this thread on track. but please start that other thread. popcorn.gif

If I want my customers to come visit me at shows I should put inserts into my mailorders of what upcoming shows I will be at. At this is "advice I am not currently using" but I think I will start.

Why not do what Harley does and actually send a postcard to local collectors before each show. And by local I mean state-wide or even a few states away is appropriate at some level. (EG, for Motor City you can send to people in Ohio, Indiana, Pittsburgh area, and Chicago-area.) Harley did that for the very poorly attended Super-Con in Oakland in 2005 and enough of his people turned out that he did great the first day and no one else did. Plus it didn't hurt that it was an A+ buying show for him.

Enjoying your thoughts.

Marc