• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Philly Con reports...????

94 posts in this topic

And by the way Harley is one of the only dealers that does postcard mailings.

Postcards are one option, but sending out to all of my customers might get some of them to visit the show.

International buyers might also want to know the next show I'll be at.

Think big!

I'm not really sure if I am coddling the "promoter" with the below suggestion but here is what I would have liked to see when I was a collector and wouldn't mind seeing from a dealer perspective. Now maybe it's not perfect but is more reflective of what I would have wanted to see when I was collecting. It also gives a representation of what will be at the show and a case for arguing with people who say there was "nothing there"

Confirmed Dealers include:

WEB-HEAD ENTERPRISES

Specializes in Modern Comics from 1980 - present

Sells CGC Yes, Primarily Modern Age

Dealer Comment: Over 10 new variant covers in stock for this show!

Contact name: Dealer name

Contact phone # Dealer number

Email address:

COMICALLY SPEAKING

Category: Gold/Silver/Bronze Age/Art

Specializes in Gold/Siver Bronze age comics from 1939 - 1985

Sells CGC: Yes, extensive inventory of Silver/Bronze Age

Dealer Comment: Over 100 new Golden issues issues will be at the show!

Contact name: Dealer name

Contact phone # Dealer number

Email address:

Etc., Etc.

I've been following and enjoying this discussion and I really like this idea. I've been to a number of your Boston shows, Dave, though we haven't met, and if I knew that such-and-such dealer was showing up with some new mid-grade SA, I'd be that much more likely to stop in.

I was really on the fence for the February show, because I'm a much smaller player than I used to be. Two things swayed me to come by: 1) I found out that Ted from Superworld had some new inventory and in fact I scored a nice Captain Marvel #1 from him, and 2) I had recently moved, and when my postcard announcement bounced back to Monkeyhouse, someone had hand-written my name and new address on a new one and sent it to me. They could have just put my new address into the computer for the next mailing, or written me off. As a customer, that really said to me, "We'd like to see you there." Nice little touch.

I had recently moved, and when my postcard announcement bounced back to Monkeyhouse, someone had hand-written my name and new address on a new one and sent it to me. They could have just put my new address into the computer for the next mailing, or written me off. As a customer, that really said to me, "We'd like to see you there." Nice little touch.

We really do care and do not want to lose any of our loyal attendees. Our list is large enough so that several people move between any two given shows. We always do our mailing early enough so that a second card can be mailed if there is a correction. I get a few of the hand written second cards back every show.

BlazingBob,

Thanks for the tips on promoting from a dealers perspective,I plan on using them for my "JMV Comic Book Shows here in Texas.They can be applied not only to comic book shows but other collectibles show promotions as well.

Its nice to see someone who can put forth some intelligent and constructive advice on shows rather than just complain and flame the promoter on the forum boards.

Please consider setting up at shows in Texas...Dallas Comic Con,Wizard World,or maybe even my one day JMV Comic Book Shows ,I would hook you up with 3 or 4 tables for free.( www.jmventertainment.com )

27_laughing.gif

gossip.gif I believe Bob was talking about promoter's who actually have a show, not just promote one that never takes place. makepoint.gif

Fuelman,

Well what collectibles shows do you put on ? Please share your experiences good or bad at show promotions so that I can learn from your sucess or failures.

And I do not mean someone else's shows that you were just a dealer at.

I mean the ones that you at least "tried" to put on.

popcorn.gif

Fuelman,

Well what collectibles shows do you put on ? Please share your experiences good or bad at show promotions so that I can learn from your sucess or failures.

And I do not mean someone else's shows that you were just a dealer at.

I mean the ones that you at least "tried" to put on.

popcorn.gif

If you were actually a show promoter, I would be happy to share my experience with you. thumbsup2.gif

But since you are not,............................ 893naughty-thumb.gif

In other words fuelman you have never attempted to put on a show yourself,good bad,or cancelled.

I have had my share of bad and and cancelled shows but,at least I admit it.

thumbsup2.gif

Mainly "Cancelled shows", I'm sure. thumbsup2.gif

Still waiting for your tips on promoting a successful comic book show.

sleeping.gif

I sure hope you do get some tips soon.......you need them more than anyone! thumbsup2.gif

893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif