• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LXG....What's it's all about?

16 posts in this topic

I would like to hear from this board's opinion on the popularity of the LXG (League of Extraordinary Gentlemen...err Women too). I'm not a close follower of the DC world but I get a sense that this group is like a JLS or something loosey base. What can you tell me, is it great on storytelling and great character development??

893blahblah.gifgossip.gifflamed.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I may get reamed for saying this, but I think LOEG is a bit overrated.

Sure, it's Moore so the book will be better than most anything on the shelf, but it's still Moore-lite and the guy seems far more interested in creating "sly literature references" than creating a cohesive and thought-provoking story, a la Watchmen or Miracleman.

I think LOEG is fantastic - I mean, come on, were you expecting the invisible man to get raped? ...and what a cool touch with the blood becoming visible after his death.

The movie, on the other hand, looks weak! mad.gif

But I'm surprised to hear you speak positively about Miracleman? Last time we conversed on the subject I recall you saying "that horse don't run" and that you didn't think it was Moore's best work??

Anyway, agreed, it's much better than most of what is being published..

But I'm surprised to hear you speak positively about Miracleman? Last time we conversed on the subject I recall you saying "that horse don't run" and that you didn't think it was Moore's best work??

MM isn't his best work (though it's still much better than LOEG), but my "that horse don't run" comment concerned only back issue values, and the effect that Wizard promotion had on creating artificial demand.

And it's not that LOEG is "bad", it's just that not much really happens, and if you took out the literature references and famous characters, there's not much there. Many of his other works, such as Watchmen, From Hell and Miracleman had innovative stories at their core, and not just "lookit there's another riff from Classic Novel #5" or shock value like Hyde giving it to See-Through Boy.

I saw The trailer for this first at the x2 screening - folks were creaming over the Matrixreloaded trailer, but the LXG trailer met with ridicule, snickers and a "how gay" attitude" despite Sean Connery and decent vampire/werewolf effects? I think most of the fun poked at it was due to the acronym: LXG that the trailer is using to promote the movie and honestly this choice of mnemonic, though logical, just doesn't flow right or sit well with the audience. I'll watch it on DVD/PPV, but will not go to the theatres for it. And also it is a DC POS story anyway. but that is just my bias and opinion working there. I don't think I saw any DC movie in the theatre? Superman 1-4 were all rentals or reruns on cable. Batman movies were all rentals even the first. Can't think of any others.

My advice: go play around on the site - it is a lot of fun and informative. At least it's not Richard Chambelain playing Allan Quatermain or Sharon Stone as his sidekick wink.gif Mina Harker (Peta Wilson) is a welcome addition...

Been watching the Music Man on DVD night after night when putting the baby to sleep and I am always watching that opening scene on the train. It qualifies as the worst rap song by white men ever! but it sticks on my head and my sig line. I'm gonna have to change that soon. My wife and I are practicing our children songs by listening to this CD compilation and there are a few that stand out as either excessively morbid or some other weird lines about it, like London Bridge or Ring Around the Rosy (you know they have an alternate Pc version?) geez...

Been watching the Music Man on DVD night after night when putting the baby to sleep and I am always watching that opening scene on the train. It qualifies as the worst rap song by white men ever! but it sticks on my head and my sig line. I'm gonna have to change that soon. My wife and I are practicing our children songs by listening to this CD compilation and there are a few that stand out as either excessively morbid or some other weird lines about it, like London Bridge or Ring Around the Rosy (you know they have an alternate Pc version?) geez...

Ring Around the Rosy was originally written as a "dance" about the Black Death.

Ring Around the Rosy - the black ring around the pock marks

Pocket Full of Posies - flowers to keep the smell of bodies and decay away

Ashes Ashes - ashes to ashes, dust to dust, that whole thing

We All Fall DOWN - everybody dies.

just a bit of morbid knowledge to brighten your morning!

Ring Around the Rosy was originally written as a "dance" about the Black Death.

Ring Around the Rosy - the black ring around the pock marks

Pocket Full of Posies - flowers to keep the smell of bodies and decay away

Ashes Ashes - ashes to ashes, dust to dust, that whole thing

We All Fall DOWN - everybody dies.

just a bit of morbid knowledge to brighten your morning!

Actualy , the line 'Ashes, ashes" refers to the fact that they had to burn the bodies in mass heaps in order to stop the continuation of contagion.

Jonny D.

I brought the trade and thought it was a decent read. But, as some have posted here before, it does make you feel like you're almost on a 19th century pulp-hero scavenger hunt, what with all the references to classic and pulp literature. In the comic, the league consists of Quartermain, Dr J. and Mr. H, Invisible Man, Mina Harker, and Captain Nemo. They've added a few for the movie, including Tom Sawyer and Dorian Gray.

The coolest thing to me (in the comic) was the one panel where the league are being briefed by British intelligence and Mina Harker is looking at an old engraving of another league from a different time period. The characters featured in that were Natty Bumpo, The Scarlet Pimpernel, Gulliver and a rather imposing figure dressed in black robes with two flintlock guns crossed against his chest: Dr. Syn, The Scarecrow!!

I remember seeing the Disney Scarecrow movie as a child and loving it!!

Moore has said he was going to write a LOEG featuring these characters from the past and I would be the first one to buy a copy of that book!!

I just want to say this, calling The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen film The League is one of the silliest things Hollywood has done lately. The League...huh, how is that going to attract the comic fans interested in seeing this film?