• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Got an ebay fee question

9 posts in this topic

I have sold comics off and on through ebay for quite awhile and normally I pay like $3.20 to list something and then a percentage of the final auction value if it sells. The last time I put a comic on ebay my selling fee was over $12 which I noticed included 10% of my reserve price as a fee. Now my question is does ebay now not charge you for the final price the comic ends at or do they do both now? I mean if you have to pay a percentage of what your comic sells for and $8 more to list it ebay is really screwing with their sellers. Hope someone can tell me if ebay changed their policy because I either didn't get the email or deleted it with all of the other [!@#%^&^] ebay sends me.

have a good rest of your weekend,

Ericc123 893blahblah.gif

The reserve fee is now 1% of the reserve amount, which is refundable if the item sells. They did this because so many people were using reserve auctions that it ties up their resources without sales be made. (Or so they can make more money, see it how you like).

So you now have a listing fee based on the starting bid or reserve (whichever is higher), a reserve fee of 1% if you choose to use one, plus the final value fee (on their regular 5%, 2.5%, 1.25% scale).

Then of course PayPal wants their 2.5%... tongue.gif

you know what I appologize it was actually one percent of my reserve fee but still if that comic had sold it would have cost me like $50 to sell that darn thing. Now tell me why I should sell comics on ebay again?!?!? 27_laughing.gif

Ericc123

you know what I appologize it was actually one percent of my reserve fee but still if that comic had sold it would have cost me like $50 to sell that darn thing. Now tell me why I should sell comics on ebay again?!?!? 27_laughing.gif

Ericc123

E-Bay is the vehicle that allows you to be able to put your book in front of a large audience. Unfortunatly , we , as sellers have to pay the price.

Theres no doubt that E-Bay makes money up front on listing fees & later on the sale price. If you use Paypal they pin you there also.

Fees,fees,fees !! . Talk about a money making machine.

But, to use their service is a CHOICE !!

Is there a better way to expose your product to potential buyers ?

Do you set up a booth at the local Flea Market ?

Newspapers? Comic related mags ? Conventions ? Your own web site ?

This will cost you $$$ also.

So, back to the choice. Do the Pros outweight the Cons ?

Ultimatly ,you have to decide.

It is hard to beat eBay as it is a very efficient way to sell vintage comics, 1 sheets, etc. to an international target market. What u could not giveaway at a local comicon, may be worth good US greenbacks to someone else.

1 long time comic seller I know decided to boycott eBay after they raised their insertion fees a couple of years ago. He switched his online business to ePier or ePeer? which collectors never visited, so his sell thru went downhill. sumo.gif

They ask you to bend over, grab your ankles......

Well anyway.....

Why do you think it is referred to as 'the insertion fee'????ooo.gif

I understand that ebay is bar none the best way to sell your comics some times but with my quick math it would have cost me 17% of my final price to sell it. Compare that to 15% at Heritage or 10% for comiclink and it makes me wonder. But hey who's kidding I'm still going to use ebay to sell comics and they are counting on that. smile.gif

Ericc123

They ask you to bend over, grab your ankles......

Well anyway.....

Why do you think it is referred to as 'the insertion fee'????ooo.gif

I'm sure a guy can bid on a tube of KY Jelly somewhere on E-Bay.... insane.gifinsane.gif