• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank R. Paul

63 posts in this topic

Ryan, as you've said we have very similar collecting tastes...

Paul is an amazing artist, and I concur that his pulp work far outshines his (limited) comic efforts.

My one - and only - pulp... purchased just for the Paul cover:

Hi Steve,

Well, I guess it was only a matter of time before you got in on the Paul action! 27_laughing.gif

As with your comics, that is a FINE looking Amazing. Your post inspired me to put up a few more favorite Paul covers... I have a handful on their way shortly via EBAY, so I'll try to post some when they come in.

Enjoy!

1441105-sciwonderaprPOST.jpg

1441105-sciwonderaprPOST.jpg.c14b23b92f1b3c3c0f791da1227b728c.jpg

As I was organizing my pulps tonight I discovered yet another phenominal Paul cover and immediatly thought of this thread to display it...enjoy... wink.gif

asqpaul.jpg

How does one organize pulps.....I have 5 or 10 27_laughing.gif

Ryan, as you've said we have very similar collecting tastes...

Paul is an amazing artist, and I concur that his pulp work far outshines his (limited) comic efforts.

My one - and only - pulp... purchased just for the Paul cover:

100_1091.jpg

STEVE Make mine Larson

Its simply my favorite and I am saying nothing more than that.

Those are some great pulp covers! Other than eBay, are there any good dealers out there for these old magazines?

Give a call to John at Adventure House for great customer service and selection. Grading can be a little off at times but you can't trump their inventory.

Awesome site - thanks! thumbsup2.gif

Those are some great pulp covers! Other than eBay, are there any good dealers out there for these old magazines?

Give a call to John at Adventure House for great customer service and selection. Grading can be a little off at times but you can't trump their inventory.

Awesome site - thanks! thumbsup2.gif

Wow, I was unaware of that site, thanks Scrooge!! Great selection.

Time to give this thread a bumpit.gif

Just got the following issue of Amazing Stories vol. 1 #8 in today sporting an interesting Paul cover...kinda reminds me of the Titanic... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I also noted that one of the stories inside is the second (conclusion) chapter of "The Island of Dr. Moreau" by HG Wells....now I'm gonna have to get issue #7 for the first part of the story.... 893applaud-thumb.gif

There are only 5 B&W illustrations inside which are all done by Paul...one of which is an awesome "man caught in a spider-web" scene with 2 hairy spiders about to pounce.... cloud9.gif

as1-8.jpg

Time to give this thread a bumpit.gif

Just got the following issue of Amazing Stories vol. 1 #8 in today sporting an interesting Paul cover...kinda reminds me of the Titanic... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I also noted that one of the stories inside is the second (conclusion) chapter of "The Island of Dr. Moreau" by HG Wells....now I'm gonna have to get issue #7 for the first part of the story.... 893applaud-thumb.gif

There are only 5 B&W illustrations inside which are all done by Paul...one of which is an awesome "man caught in a spider-web" scene with 2 hairy spiders about to pounce.... cloud9.gif

as1-8.jpg

Hi ArAich,

Thanks for the bump!! I love that cover too. I'll have to dig it out and check out the illos.

Did anyone on the boards get the Paul pieces offered in the latest Heritage illustration auction? A black and white illo, and a full color painting!! Prices were out of my range. They were really beautiful examples of his work... esp. the color rendering.

I've won quite a few Paul pulps in the last few weeks, I'll have to post 'em when I actually receive them. I have sort of "rediscovered" Paul's work (as I tend to do every year), and I get all excited about it, and end up blowing a wad on pulps. I think i've got about a dozen on the way.

Huh ... maybe this is NOT the best thread for me to do this but ... Paul's work has always left me mostly cold. I have seen a cover here and there that attracts my eyes but overall I am not that seduced by his work. Yet, Ryan, you keep on mentioning that he rarely painted a dud or that he had amazing technical skills. What am I missing that is distracting me from fully appreciating Paul's work? Remember that I am not drawing taught: never took a class nor have I ever put pen to paper or brush to canvas in my life ... Considering the amount of praise received here someone should be able to illuminate this topic for me. As they say, 100,000,000 Elvis fans can't be wrong! flowerred.gif

Huh ... maybe this is NOT the best thread for me to do this but ... Paul's work has always left me mostly cold. I have seen a cover here and there that attracts my eyes but overall I am not that seduced by his work. Yet, Ryan, you keep on mentioning that he rarely painted a dud or that he had amazing technical skills. What am I missing that his distracting me from fully appreciating Paul's work? Remember that I am not drawing taught: never took a class nor have I ever put pen to paper or brush to canvas in my life ... Considering the amount of praise received here someone should be able to illuminate this topic for me. As they say, 100,000,000 Elvis fans can't be wrong! flowerred.gif

Hi Scrooge,

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, but NOT ON MY WATCH!! poke2.gif

Seriously, I won't try to sell you on Paul's artistic merits... he was very weak in alot of areas. He couldn't paint a realistic person if his life depended on it, he wasn't the greatest renderer (ie: often times his work was stiff or flat), and sometimes his colors were just downright gaudy.

That being said, I guess what appeals to me is his sense of the unknown, that he painted things that were never painted before. Spacewalks, Astronauts, BEM's, space ships... his work has a crude and naive appeal to me the same way that childrens' art does. It has a kind of honest enthusiasm about it. His machinery and architecture has that sort of period charm, the way art depicting Jules Verne creations capture the time period. Maybe its a style thing ...I'm not the most articulate at verbalizing why I like an artist... I guess I am attracted to crude but honest artists, like the early Burgos Torch strips in Marvel Mystery, or Everett's Amazing Man strips.

That probably didn't help you a bit. confused-smiley-013.gif

That probably didn't help you a bit. confused-smiley-013.gif

Actually it does! You've been very honest both in breaking down the appeal Paul's work holds for you and in pointing out Paul's shortcomings. It's a nice perspective on why you've got this thread going on. thumbsup2.gif