• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

(OT) Avatar Question... ????

21 posts in this topic

I just tried to change my avatar, and I can't seem to change or restore it now. I am on

a UNIX based mainframe, so the only way I can specify my avatar file is via a URL.

It always worked this way, now it gives me an error. Has something changed? Is there

no way I can use an avatar in this environment? I can't see how I can upload it if

I can't specify where it is without a URL. Sorry for the off-topic post.

I just tried to change my avatar, and I can't seem to change or restore it now. I am on

a UNIX based mainframe, so the only way I can specify my avatar file is via a URL.

It always worked this way, now it gives me an error. Has something changed? Is there

no way I can use an avatar in this environment? I can't see how I can upload it if

use

[img=http://your site/pic.jpg] 

What's the URL of the image you're trying to use?

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

The problem is that I can't upload it!! The fact that you PC-usin' bastiches can doesn't

address my situation. But thanks for the suggestions, maybe I'll learn something trying to

figure this out. In the meantime my avatar looks like it's becoming the new blueshirt fad.

I tired to use your http when I quoted you earlier and it wouldn't load for me either, so thats why I saved a copy to my desk top then used the browse option to upload it. Not sure whats wrong with your address you were getting it from but it didn't work for me. thumbsup2.gif

I don't think there's anything wrong with the address, just that the system won't accept a

URL at all anymore. My problem is I don't have a desktop to upload it from. When I try browsing

to upload it as a file, I get the AFS based directory location of the image, which the upload

manager can't understand.

I seem to recall an earlier version of the boards software let you specify a URL for your avatar. But the current version requires you to upload a picture on your C: or D: drive that you find using the "Browse" button. Of course, since you're on a UNIX box, you're screwed. tongue.gif Resistance to the Windows paradigm is indeed futile, but you might try PM-ing Arch to see if it would be a big deal to re-enable the old specify-by-URL avatar option.

Good luck!

Although it didn't work the first 6 times I tried it, the system somehow just accepted my

upload from the AFS directory address, so my beloved avatar is back! Thanks to all for

the suggestions.

But you are using Band-Ache but not Paul Maul? frown.gif

I was actually going to change it temporarily just for variety anyway. I'll go back to the Maul

avatar eventually, although the Band-Ache one seems to display better.

Or maybe I'll rotate through several:

tied01.jpgduz01.jpglav01.jpgbread01.jpgquack01.jpg