• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Possible tear seal or piece added?

9 posts in this topic

Recently purchased, however I'm lil iffy on the edge of this one. The discoloration on the side I'm guessing is from dust shadow, but theres discoloration on certain spots on the edge you'll see in the scan(also provided a shot from the inside cover ofit). I'm not sure if its a piece added, even though theres a larger piece on the bottom edge of the cover missing, or ifits a tear seal or just an awkard discolored fold or a tear that just stuck together. Theres also another spot on the bottom of the back cover.

fantasticfour4frontcovercloseup.jpg

fantasticfour4frontcoverc.jpgfantasticfour4frontcoverb.jpgfantasticfour4backcoverb.jpg

If those Marvel chipping tears are no longer tears, then you have some tear seals. That chunk along the side (and the chunk along the bottom back cover) looks like it was a chunk that came off and was reattached with glue or some other adhesive. If it is original material being reattached, it isn't considered "pieces added" (or "infilling"), because infilling (pieces added) means that you're using non-original material to fill a void. It's really "consolidation" if what you're doing is reattaching original pieces to the original support.

It's still restoration, either way.

One of the tears on the backcover are also held, but played with it a bit and it seemed to slightly come lil looser. If that piece can come out that appears glued in and the tears can get back to where they were, would they still purple label it?

It's hard to say because the glue is still there and will show up. You're better off leaving it alone.

I wouldn't mess with it either, you'd likely lower the apparent grade and still leave enough goop on the book to get an apparent grade. You could always send it out to have someone look at it that could possibly remove it, but I'm not sure how easy that would be to do. PM restoman on the boards for an opinion.

I wouldn't mess with it either, you'd likely lower the apparent grade and still leave enough goop on the book to get an apparent grade. You could always send it out to have someone look at it that could possibly remove it, but I'm not sure how easy that would be to do. PM restoman on the boards for an opinion.

That's all true, but my point is that if the book is restored simply to seal tears and reattach loose pieces, I would view opening the tears and pulling off the missing pieces as committing a destructive act simply to increase the value of the book. It's one thing to remove non-original material (like professional color touch) from a book, but removing original material from the book is different. If the money is more important to you than the book, send it back and get a refund.

That's all true, but my point is that if the book is restored simply to seal tears and reattach loose pieces, I would view opening the tears and pulling off the missing pieces as committing a destructive act simply to increase the value of the book. It's one thing to remove non-original material (like professional color touch) from a book, but removing original material from the book is different. If the money is more important to you than the book, send it back and get a refund.

I don't disagree, but he was asking about slabbing, and I was just clarifying that I think he's looking at purple either way if he messes with it. If he wants it slabbed blue lable, the only way I could see it happening is restoration removal or sell it and buy another copy.

thumbsup2.gif