• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much discount are you getting?

40 posts in this topic

My LCS is giving me (and all subscribers and anyone who drops in regularly) a 20% discount on new books. That includes a bag, but no board. I'm very happy to recieve that discount since I'm spending on average a minimum of $100 a month (after discount) at that one store. So, am I getting a good deal or not? What kind of discount are you getting?

Same here. But I usually visit the comic store once every 2 weeks. So, a little longer wait doesn't bother me as much.
My LCS is on my way home from work so it is easy to stop in every wednesday.

20% off I believe, and half-off on variants if I've subscribed to that title. Free bags, free boards, free shipping.

I think 20% off and free bags is almost the standard nowadays for local shops. I could probably get more than 20% off from an online provider, but I would not receive the free shipping, so it probably all balances out.

My LCS cut back there discount to only 10% and only on Marvel and DC. I switched to DCBS and have been very happy. Pretty much 40% and somethings up to 75% off

I think 20% off and free bags is almost the standard nowadays for local shops.

Not quite the case I fear. For the better ones yes but there are many out there with far less agreeable terms. Just see this thread!

20% off I believe, and half-off on variants if I've subscribed to that title. Free bags, free boards, free shipping.

I think 20% off and free bags is almost the standard nowadays for local shops. I could probably get more than 20% off from an online provider, but I would not receive the free shipping, so it probably all balances out.

It balances out if you are spending less than about $80/month, but online is more than worth it when you spend over $100/month.

And ComicSupply is another good on-line source I hear, to balance the DCBS shilling smile.gif

Finally, I used to think I had to get my books the day they come out, but after doing the math, more money in my pocket is worth getting my books every other week. thumbsup2.gif

my local has a slide scale...the more ongoings on your pull list the higher the discount...

i think i'm currently at 15% discount on anything in the store...new, back issue, supplies, comic related toys/statues/whatnot, trades...everything.

It balances out if you are spending less than about $80/month, but online is more than worth it when you spend over $100/month.

And ComicSupply is another good on-line source I hear, to balance the DCBS shilling smile.gif

Finally, I used to think I had to get my books the day they come out, but after doing the math, more money in my pocket is worth getting my books every other week. thumbsup2.gif

How is there a big difference between spending $80 a month or over $100? confused-smiley-013.gif I do probably spend more around $120/mo. However, I do get my shipments weekly, rather than just once a month, which is enjoyable. I can expect a package every Monday.

How is there a big difference between spending $80 a month or over $100? confused-smiley-013.gif I do probably spend more around $120/mo. However, I do get my shipments weekly, rather than just once a month, which is enjoyable. I can expect a package every Monday.

Using DCBS as an example:

If you spend $80/mo. and then get 40% off, you save $32, then subtract monthly shipping at $7.95 and bags/boards for 25 books is $7.50 (price varies depending on what bags/boards you want) = $18.05 total savings.

Not bad, but I want my books twice per month, let say. Now I have to add $4. If I want weekly shipping, I add $8. Now you still save, but not much more than a LCS.

At $100/mo, at least you begin to see some decent savings.

Myself, I order closer to $200/mo, save $80, ship 2 times a month at $12.95 and bags and boards are around $12. So I save $55.05 on average each month, or over $600/yr. grin.gif

I do find myself occasionally buying titles I wouldn't normally buy but are offered at 75% off, which makes it very reasonable to give them a try. Most #1s are offered this way. And for variant nuts, they are now offering variants at a smaller mark-up than most LCSs.

thumbsup2.gif