• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

October's revolving door collection...

144 posts in this topic

I liked Wrightson_Fan's idea, although he isn't the first to try it, so I figured I would follow suit. Nice to get back to basics once in awhile...

A lot of books pass in and out of my collection (hence the name of the thread), so I will try and immortalize some here.

It took me a few years of looking virtually every week to find a nice copy of this bronze horror key. It has Wrightson's first pro work and a nice Adams cover to boot. The pages are white, and there isn't a hint of tanning, and both defects are very prevalent on copies of this issue. I got this one from the board's own GACollectibles. Andy is a good guy, and always puts up with my bull. He was nice enough to give me first shot at this one, and at a very good price considering how hot this book has been lately. It currently resides in a toploader, next to the rest of my precious gems. tongue.gif

houm179.jpg

This is another one that took me awhile to locate. This Skywald mag boasts my favorite Boris cover, who manages to capture at least part of Frankenstein's true nature. For those who have read the novel, Shelly's creation bears literally no resemblance to the shambling dolt from the movies. The true monster was intelligent, articulate, and sensitive....a far cry from Karloff. This cover really leapt out at me as conveying some of that original shabby nobility. Fantastic stuff.

psycho3.jpg

Talk about overlooked! 893whatthe.gif There are a few Atom cover from the late silver age that I would put up against ANY example from the medium. Here is one. Gil Kane and Murphy Anderson's effort on this doesn't get any more iconic. Looking at art like this, it's easy to see where guys like Lichtenstein got their inspiration. I picked this up for maybe $15 from some eBay store. I love the bright colors...

atom36.jpg

I love showing this one off as the colors never fail to bring a smile to my face. It was the result of a printing error that was later fixed (I much prefer this version), and copies are scarce. I got it from Chicago Comics for $26, and I didn't even know what I had til I got home. I knew it was a printing error, but I didn't realize what a good buy it was. I would put it at a strong 9.0, maybe 9.2.

FF1102.jpg

This is one of my few pieces of original art. It's a splash from an independent comic called Thieves and Kings. The artist, writer, and publisher, Mark Oakley, has really managed to capture fantasy on an epic scale with his comic. ANYONE who likes Tolkien, Jordan, Brooks, Donaldson, ect, ect, should give it a look. It's kid-friendly too, though written for adults.

TKsplash.jpg

The comic "varient" to end all comic "varients". No collection should be without this rare and choice gem of the very finest water. I'll wipe my arse with an Action 1...use a Fantastic 3 to clean my toilet...just give me my Spawn 1 UPC. sumo.gif

spawnupc.jpg

This copy is only one of two books I have personally purchased from the consignment lots I have been getting in. It has taken a lot of effort, but I managed to resist a bunch of sweet books. This one was too cool to pass on though. Fantastic colors on this Steranko beauty. I would put it at 8.5 or 9.0, but it looks perfect to me.

cloud9.gif

XM51.jpg

Another puchase from a boardmember, 143ksk hooked me up with this one. LB Cole's brilliant use of colors is evident, as is his usually dynamism. It could easily pass for a horror movie poster, which is what drew me to his work in the first place. I like covers that are uncluttered with boxes, blurbs, and balloons. One or two captions are fine, as long as they are subtle and don't detract from the overall image. I stopped collecting ECs for that very reason; there is simply too much extra junk covering the art.

TotJ20.jpg

I always liked this Romita cover, but never felt like dropping $40+ on a nice copy, even if it was for the first appearance of Hobgoblin. My patience paid off, and I found this NM+ unread beauty at a warehouse sale last year for 75 cents!

ASM238.jpg

This is another one that took me awhile to locate. This Skywald mag boasts my favorite Boris cover, who manages to capture at least part of Frankenstein's true nature. For those who have read the novel, Shelly's creation bears literally no resemblance to the shambling dolt from the movies. The true monster was intelligent, articulate, and sensitive....a far cry from Karloff. This cover really leapt out at me as conveying some of that original shabby nobility. Fantastic stuff.

psycho3.jpg

Did you notice the similarities with Tomb of Dracula #1?

Both approximately done in 1971.

Same position of the woman, castle in the background, tree limb. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

2063_4_01.jpg

Did you notice the similarities with Tomb of Dracula #1?

Both approximately done in 1971.

Same position of the woman, castle in the background, tree limb. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You know, I never did! 893whatthe.gif The distant castle and girl in the arms are very common motifs in comics though. Kinda like the "Pieta" covers.

Thanks for pointing that out. Interesting...

Here is a new one from the recent Chicago Pulp Con. There were a handful of comic dealers present, and I managed to snag a few things including this high grade Swamp Thing 7. I think I paid $20 for it. Batman, Wrightson, and Swamp Thing...what more could you ask for?

SWTH7.jpg

Talk about overlooked! 893whatthe.gif There are a few Atom cover from the late silver age that I would put up against ANY example from the medium. Here is one. Gil Kane and Murphy Anderson's effort on this doesn't get any more iconic. Looking at art like this, it's easy to see where guys like Lichtenstein got their inspiration. I picked this up for maybe $15 from some eBay store. I love the bright colors...

atom36.jpg

Love this one! I am a sucker for Gil Kane covers. One of the best thumbsup2.gif

I always liked this Romita cover, but never felt like dropping $40+ on a nice copy, even if it was for the first appearance of Hobgoblin. My patience paid off, and I found this NM+ unread beauty at a warehouse sale last year for 75 cents!

ASM238.jpg

I'm interested in the warehouse story here. Was it a sale of just comics? A modern version of a "warehouse find"? 75 cents........good deal! thumbsup2.gif

Batman 238 is one of the toughest 100 pagers to find in nice shape, and I was lucky enough to get this sharp copy from Dr Banner. It was formerly slabbed at a 7.5, but I think they were way too harsh on it. Great eye appeal and a killer Adams wraparound cover. The stories in these 100 pagers are a mix of new stuff (at the time) and 40s/50s/60s reprints. It's a real trip to pick up one of these books and flip though material that spans decades.

BM238.jpg

I'm interested in the warehouse story here. Was it a sale of just comics? A modern version of a "warehouse find"? 75 cents........good deal! thumbsup2.gif

It was a dealer having a summer sale to clear out some of his warehouse stock. I was the only person there for a lot of the time, and I was able to pick up two shortboxes worth of high grade late bronze for $150. I sold off the majority for about $700 and kept the rest, including this one. That was my first big "flip" and really led to me spending more and more on comics...

Every year I try and hit the Kane County Flea Market at least once. It's pretty far west of Chicago, but worth the drive if you live near and have never been. Unfortunately, every year I find less and less. Last time I came away with this magazine and counted myself lucky. It has rusty staples, but the rest of it is pretty fresh and bright and for $10 I couldn't complain. It doesn't have any comic content, but the painted cover really grabbed my attention. Very cool.

actionmag.jpg

Every year I try and hit the Kane County Flea Market at least once. It's pretty far west of Chicago, but worth the drive if you live near and have never been. Unfortunately, every year I find less and less. Last time I came away with this magazine and counted myself lucky. It has rusty staples, but the rest of it is pretty fresh and bright and for $10 I couldn't complain. It doesn't have any comic content, but the painted cover really grabbed my attention. Very cool.

actionmag.jpg

The Kinsey Report and your Wife??? Man, i'm sure that had some eye opening info for the "lusty" men who read this issue. tongue.gif

Scott

Here is one of my favorite Adams covers, and scarce above 8.0. I got it from Fuelman, who graded it a VF, but I think Bob was hitting the crack pipe a little too hard at the time. I put it at a solid 9.0, maybe better. I like the perspective here, and the ominous tone. Adams' whole run on this title is rightly revered.

bats221.jpg