• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

October's revolving door collection...

144 posts in this topic

The Kinsey Report and your Wife??? Man, i'm sure that had some eye opening info for the "lusty" men who read this issue. tongue.gif

There are some crazy articles in that one. The Kinsey Report is just the tip of the iceberg! 893whatthe.gif

Another nice score from Chicago Comics. Their pricing can sometimes be a bit strange, and VFs and up often cost the same as VGs and below. confused-smiley-013.gif I think I paid $20 or $30 for this one. It features the beginning of the Subby/Hulk run. It's about a 9.0 I think, and has wonderful gloss.

tta70.jpg

Here is a new one from the recent Chicago Pulp Con. There were a handful of comic dealers present, and I managed to snag a few things including this high grade Swamp Thing 7. I think I paid $20 for it. Batman, Wrightson, and Swamp Thing...what more could you ask for?

Great cover! Here's my copy from WWChicago. I also paid $20.

897740-SwampThing7.JPG

Here are my two copies of Weird War 64. Both are around 9.2, and I got them on eBay, from separate sellers, for $4 and $6 respectively. They feature Frank Miller's first work at DC. Check out the top right corner. One has a subtle printing defect and the other does not. That tiny pink discolored box is present on about half the copies printed.

Wwar64.jpg

ww64.jpg

Here is one of my favorite Adams covers, and scarce above 8.0. I got it from Fuelman, who graded it a VF, but I think Bob was hitting the crack pipe a little too hard at the time. I put it at a solid 9.0, maybe better. I like the perspective here, and the ominous tone. Adams' whole run on this title is rightly revered.

bats221.jpg

Christo_pull_hair.gif I don't smoke crack anymore, dagnabit!!! sumo.gif

Wightson's Swamp Thing run, does it get any better? I was lucky enough to score this 9.2 copy raw on eBay for $28. It came with an added surprise, it's autographed by Berni on the opening page!

st12.jpg

Here is one of my favorite Adams covers, and scarce above 8.0. I got it from Fuelman, who graded it a VF, but I think Bob was hitting the crack pipe a little too hard at the time. I put it at a solid 9.0, maybe better. I like the perspective here, and the ominous tone. Adams' whole run on this title is rightly revered.

bats221.jpg

Christo_pull_hair.gif I don't smoke crack anymore, dagnabit!!! sumo.gif

Well you looked to be inhaling rather deeply when calling this a VF. Besides the top edge color loss and light wear - unless I'm missing something, with those corners as sharp as they appear, I'd go 9.0 with no qualms. hi.gif

Please sell me all your VFs that look like that yay.gif

This was my first single comic purchase over $100. I remember being so nervous, but it turned out to be accurately graded and unrestored. I was sure I would never break that mark. crazy.gif One of the best superhero covers of all time in my opinion. A true classic.

SS4.jpg

Here is one of my all-time favorites. I just had it pressed, and it looks much better without the unsightly paperclip mark by the top staple. I paid $26 on eBay for this copy not long ago, and I think it was a terrific buy. Deep color and gloss on this one. The crimson background is brown on most copies. This is one of the few books in my collection that I don't think I would ever sell. Jeff Jones outdid himself here.

WW199after.jpg

I bought this one a year ago at Wizard World. I never had much interest in war comics, but the colors on this cover really caught my eye. When I got home and read it I deceided to get the rest of the series. Kubert's Enemy Ace stories are some of the absolute best stuff the late silver age had to offer.

ssws141.jpg

Here is a cool one. A copy of Eric Powell's first work, called Monster Boy. Pretty crude in comparison to The Goon, but still interesting. It came autographed by all the contributors and included two signed cards.

bestcell1.jpg

bestcellcards.jpg

This is the only pre-Miller Daredevil I own. I picked it up on a lark from boardmember Kahml. I really liked the X-Men 40 he had sold me previously, and this one looked VERY undergraded at 5.5. Needless to say, I was not disappointed. The book is fantastic, and probably two or more full points better than advertised. The only damage of note is a slight bottom right corner bend. Great action-packed Kirby cover...

daredevil43.jpg

Big thanks to MrHighGrade for putting this issue off my wantlist permanently. It's a tough book in VF or above, and this copy looks great. He had it at VF- (I put it at VF), but it's the best looking 8.0 I can imagine. Some subtle, non color-breaking dents bring it down. This is one of my all-time favorite Adams covers. Very moody. The stories in these issues are also above average.

tec402final.jpg