• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

October's revolving door collection...

144 posts in this topic

Here is a fantastic Marie Severin cover. I am not a big Marvel fan at all, but I do like some titles and some artists. Their bronze books just look so uniform to me. Anyway, I got this from my buddy Brad who posts occasionally under the name Klozd24seven.

hulk105.jpg

Here is a rarity. Featuring a Berni Wrightson painted cover, this fanzine shot to the top of my wantlist the first time I saw it posted (by Bounty I think). It has some really cool interior art as well. I think the print run was 500-1000, but a lot of copies have some slight water damage from sitting in storage.

legend.jpg

bumpit.gif Awesome collection Andy - let's see more! juggle.gif

Hope nobody minds me continuing this thread. I think it's fun seeing other people's stuff

I got this one in a few days ago and I paid about 40% of guide for it. When I first saw this cover I didn't like it at all. I thought it was rather boring compared to Cole's other masterpieces. Now that I have a copy, I am beginning to like it more and more. The linework and composition is very clean and sinuous and the different color blocks really make for a cool scheme. I am really glad I picked this issue up.

totj10.jpg

Here is another recent pickup courtesy of Donut. It's a sharp VF/VF- and the colors on the front are just spectacular. I read the story today and was pleasantly surprised. I liked how the narrative was divided between flashback and present, flashback and present. Made for an interesting feel and really added to Xavier's storytelling effect. The Juggernaut has always been one of my favorite two or three villians, so I am thrilled to own a nice copy of this issue. The centering is nice too!

xm12.jpg

Here is another really cool Warren issue. I am constantly shocked at how cheap these issues remain. A high grade, late 60s mag with a killer cover that sells for $15-30??? I think I paid $20 or less for this one. Frazetta's Swamp God is the focus of this cover, and does Frank ever capture the moment! The corresponding story was pretty good as well, but as usual the cover steals the show.

eeire5.jpg

No thread on my collection would be complete without posting these two. I got them both from Dr. Banner awhile back from one of his board sales and, despite both of them being in the VF+ range, they are still two of the nicest books I own. Great color, gloss, and centering on them. I think that they would both be in the last 20 books out the door if I ever had to sell my collection. I think I paid $35 each, I doubt I could have afforded much more than that at the time. Thanks again Mike.

phantomstr1.jpg

HOS812.jpg

You're welcome! thumbsup2.gif

Hulks, Adams, and LB Cole...you've developed great taste! 893applaud-thumb.gif

You are getting sleepy... sleeping.gifgossip.gif Schomburg gossip.gif Timelys gossip.gif... sleeping.gif

Thanks for sharing those books and the stories that go with them, October. The stories always make them more interesting. It's neat to see what certain comics mean to different people.

You're welcome! thumbsup2.gif

Hulks, Adams, and LB Cole...you've developed great taste! 893applaud-thumb.gif

You are getting sleepy... sleeping.gifgossip.gif Schomburg gossip.gif Timelys gossip.gif... sleeping.gif

Thanks!

Schomburg Timelys aren't even on the radar now, too expesive. crazy.gif

Hey Andy, you likely saw this already, but here's my modest Schomburg collection. The top row are Nedors, which are probably the more affordable books that dr banner is referring to...those 3 were no more than $200 total. You can do Schomburg on a budget...you just have to be real relaxed about the grades, and real patient.

He did a lot of great covers for Nedor/Better/Standard Comics - here's a bunch of nearmint's cool WWII books! Much cheaper than Timely's, although slightly more expensive than the Cole books you've been picking up. After the war, the cover themes on most of those titles switched to jungle (Exciting/Thrilling airbrush), sci-fi (Startling and Wonder airbrush), and various GGA themes (like this) . I imagine you could get some great looking examples of his work in the $100-200 range. thumbsup2.gif

Scrooge has it. thumbsup2.gif And despite all the Egyptian motifs, the KKK guys have Japanese red suns on their robes. One of the more bizarre Schomburg covers you'll see, and that's saying something!