• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Civil War variants - seriously worth this much?

58 posts in this topic

I was reading about Marvel Civil War at another forum and that got me to thinking about the variant covers, so I headed to eBay to see what they were selling for. Boy, was I in for a surprise. I cannot fathom a comic this recent selling for $480, even if it is a sketch variant, signed and slabbed. This is just unbelievable to me.

I was reading about Marvel Civil War at another forum and that got me to thinking about the variant covers, so I headed to eBay to see what they were selling for. Boy, was I in for a surprise. I cannot fathom a comic this recent selling for $480, even if it is a sketch variant, signed and slabbed. This is just unbelievable to me.

It won't last, cover variants have a track record of burning out after a year or two. gossip.gif

1:75..even when it burns out its still going to be a significant amount of money

By significant, I assume you mean $10, right?

Well Wolverine #20 1:65 is still worth 50 bucks and it seems that Civil war is hotter than that book was so I would think it would be worth a least that(which is still half of what people paid on ebay)...

Going forward, I don't think much from the modern era is going to worth much. (As a whole that is, I know that's a broad statement). The exception in the future may be variants. 30 years from now I suspect many people will still be able to buy Spawn #1 at a relatively cheap price, but the variants will actually be worth significant money.

From Marvel's perspective, they're just trying to boost sales, but if I'm a speculator that wants a return on my investment, I might want to invest in variants for the money. Or if I'm a serious collector, I might want to invesst in variants for the rarity of them.

Which isn't to say people who don't collect variants aren't serious. I totally understand a person's unwillingness to pay for variants. To each their own...

There is a huge difference between Spawn 1 and most of what is getting published now, probably about 3 million copies in the print run.

IF (a huge IF) new comics ever have a renaissance like they did in the early 90s, some of the semi-keys of today could do nicely. I'm not saying quad or triple digits and that this is where your 401K money should go, but $10-$20 for some stuff doesn't seem absurd when there are lots of 15,000 issue print-runs. even generic back issues could have a back issue market at higher than cover.

this is all hypothetical, of course. but what makes the early 90s stuff worthless (vast quantity -- more copies than potential collectors) is not what is inhibiting values of more recent materials (shrunken readership population, lack of interest, dumping on ebay, etc.)

I have to admit, I'm quite the variant junkie a.k.a. a type of completist. I got my #1 variants in CW, and I'm getting #2 this week, but I'm going to have to pass on the rest, mainly because of the House of M variant performance. I know on the high end they are a 1:75, but they aren't keys, and I can't justify it anymore.

The rest of you that do, more power to ya; there's nothing wrong with it, I'm just losing my stomach looking at what they go for after the hype has cooled.

1:75..even when it burns out its still going to be a significant amount of money

Have you seen the numbers some of the RRP variants graded 9.8 have sold for? They're selling for well over $400 in some cases.

Have you seen the numbers some of the RRP variants graded 9.8 have sold for? They're selling for well over $400 in some cases.

They might be now, but what about in 5 years time? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

They might be now, but what about in 5 years time? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Who knows. Not saying I would spend that kind of money; but people do.

I think the price might go down slightly on these variaints. Depending on what happens in the future.. say they come out with some major event that ties into civil war somehow. they could still hold their value quite well.. Possibly even increase.

You want to talk about low print runs.. think about the museum editions of these comics.. Only 25 of each..

oh really I didnt realise the musem edition couldnt be.. of course I dont have the $200 to pay for one so I guess it doesnt make much difference.

PGX grades them from what I see online, cgc does not grade them, I didnt know that..