• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Devil's Advocate.....

9 posts in this topic

Last week, I posted the following response:

I am getting SO sick of hearing people complain about the "COMIC INDUSTRY". Who [!@#%^&^] cares? If you like comics; buy them. If you don't......don't. Why do we need to "get more people involved"? I don't care about how many people collect comics. I don't care if comics are "cool". I don't really even care about the "state" of the comic market. Half( if not more) of the people currently "involved" with comics are in it for nothing more than the $$$$$. "What can we do to get more people into collecting comics?" Get rid of all the "speculators", and start writing GREAT stories again. I love comics.....but I''m starting to really dislike the "modern collector". makepoint.gif

Although my approach to this topic may have been...in retrospect...a bit harsh, I was trying to illustrate a specific point. I was trying to address my concern for the FOCUS of the comic industry. Why is the comic industry obsessed with "new readers". "How can we get more people involved?" I'm worried that "quality" is being replaced with "quantity" in this steadily evolving Comic market. I'm not only talking about the amount of "new" books available, but I'm talking about the CORE of the comic market...the "collector". Instead of "investing" in "new readers", maybe the comic industry should be investing in the collectors that ARE ALREADY HERE. The people that "don't care" if comics are considered "cool"; "don't care" if their neighbor collects comics; and really "don't care" what their books would go for on Ebay....as they have no intention of selling them. If the market were to crash tomorrow, I'd still be collecting comics. As far as the "worth" of one's collection...........it wouldn't change. You may not be able to get the $$$ you once did, but the "trade-value" would be the same. Maybe TRADING will be the next "age" of comics.

I wasn't trying to be "inflamatory", I just wanted to hear some thoughts on the issue. As for "who the hell" I think I am......nobody. Just some guy that enjoys collecting comics. Comics have been around my whole life, and maybe I take for granted that they will continue to do so. I have been a "TRUE BELIEVER" since I was able to read......I don't think I "owe" the comic industry more than that................ sorry.gif

Comics have been around my whole life, and maybe I take for granted that they will continue to do so. I have been a "TRUE BELIEVER" since I was able to read

If this is the case, don't you want the next generation to get a chance to experience the same thing? You obviously love comics, so you must care about their future. Maybe you don't care about their $$$ future, but don't you want to continue to walk into a comic store and have a huge stand of new, quality books to choose from, in 20-50 years from now? Don't you care about these characters being around for years and years to come? If so, then you do care about the business aspect to some extent, and inorder for Marvel,Dc, and everyone else out there to continue to put these books out that you love, new readers will be needed. Maybe not immeadietly, but definetly in the long term.

he means virgin readers....civilians who start redaing ans buying comics that did not before. Who must come along in great enough numbers to replace us older folk when we stop or (choke) worse in order to keep the industry going. and without the ongoing publishing of nw comics, th evalues and interest in old comics will die on the vine.

dats it bucko!!! I cant keep buying forever!

The industry (DC and Marvel) keep talking about it...and trying new ideas to bring in new readers all the time, but what they do best is keep catering to the converted. Namely--US. who appreciate the stories that follow the years of continuity that have built up. Which ironically are impossible for a kid to pick up and make any sense of!!!

dats it bucko!!! I cant keep buying forever!

The industry (DC and Marvel) keep talking about it...and trying new ideas to bring in new readers all the time, but what they do best is keep catering to the converted. Namely--US. who appreciate the stories that follow the years of continuity that have built up. Which ironically are impossible for a kid to pick up and make any sense of!!!

I think you may be getting to the CORE of this discussion. I feel that I "know" Peter Parker. I "sympathize" with Bruce Banner. I "respect" Steve Rogers. I "understand" Logan. I had completely FORGOTTEN about the kids. "Why are we trying to APPEAL to NEW READERS?" Because the "new readers" are EXACTLY who I was when I first discovered comics. Maybe when I was a kid, "forum members" had this discussion.....and we able to "interest" me in comics. Thanks guys. I truly enjoy collecting and reading comics......and after the past few days, I've realized that I'm truly back "collecting comics" again. You know what....I really MISSED comics. Since I'm here.....I think I'm going to stay awhile. To be honest, I haven't got to TALK about comics for awhile. It feels good to shoot the [!@#%^&^] about comics once in a while.... Sorry if my approach was less than entertaining..... sorry.gif

If this is the case, don't you want the next generation to get a chance to experience the same thing? You obviously love comics, so you must care about their future.

I don't *want* new comics to disappear, but if they do, I'll paraphrase Jeff Goldblum's character in Jurassic Park:

"Comics had their chance on Earth and the market selected them for extinction"

Basically, all products have their time in the sun, and if no one's buying and comics fade from the retail scene, then that's the way of the world.

If this is the case, don't you want the next generation to get a chance to experience the same thing? You obviously love comics, so you must care about their future.

I don't *want* new comics to disappear, but if they do, I'll paraphrase Jeff Goldblum's character in Jurassic Park:

"Comics had their chance on Earth and the market selected them for extinction"

Basically, all products have their time in the sun, and if no one's buying and comics fade from the retail scene, then that's the way of the world.

Thanks for the block J_C smirk.gif