• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Debate on general dealer buying ads in this board.

84 posts in this topic

Just a moderation note.

The original intention was for all WTB posts to go here. There wasn't a restriction on who was buying them, although there is always a restriction on spam / neurotic thread bumping, etc.. If we need to re-define that we could based on community feedback, board traffic, etc. - but as of now all WTB posts are valid in this forum.

The reason I defined forum selling and WTB posts as part of this board is that those two types of posts were getting lost amid the ebay / dealer sales, and those are also the two types of posts most unique to the forum rather than just being a re-list of ebay for example.

Hey thanks Arch, I think the forum policy is fine. Instead of putting up a WTB list Russ just stated, he WTB potentially everything before it is offered in this forum. I think that runs contrary to the spirit of this forum and a few people have called him on it. I think all of us would like to look at everything before its posted here for takeit.gif 's.

Like that really matters where it goes. If I offer to buy any book on here does it matter if I resell it, or burn it, or put it in my collection?

Take it for what it is worth. If you want to dump some stuff to me great, if not great. There isn't a rule against posting a WTB in the WTB thread because that is exactly what I did. I stated I want to buy.

I certainly am not lying or anything. I am always buying and the WTB thread is always running. I totally understand what everyone is saying I just didn't think it would of been taken as some shady advert.

sign-rantpost.gif

There's no problem with listing a WTB in the WTB thread, but what you are doing is basically trying to corner the WTB Market thread, pick and choose & leave junk for the rest of the folks who come here to buy on an even playing field.

Russ, this thread SHOULD be in the other Marketplace forum, it's a typical "Always Buying......We Pay More" type of ad. I read this post this morning when it first came up, and my impression then & now it that it is in the wrong forum.

sign-rantpost.gif

There's no problem with listing a WTB in the WTB thread, but what you are doing is basically trying to corner the WTB Market thread, pick and choose & leave junk for the rest of the folks who come here to buy on an even playing field.

That is what I thought as well. If everyone planning on selling decided to reply to this "open letter," that would be the end of selling here, no?

Instead of putting up a WTB list Russ just stated, he WTB potentially everything before it is offered in this forum. I think that runs contrary to the spirit of this forum and a few people have called him on it.

That's actually a good point, and CS' post is actually NOT a WTB thread, but cleverly disguised SPAM.

A WTB post should be specific, involving a set of books you are looking for, and not an "I AM BUYING EVERYTHING!!" dealer advertisement. That kinda defeats the purpose of this entire Marketplace area.

Instead of putting up a WTB list Russ just stated, he WTB potentially everything before it is offered in this forum. I think that runs contrary to the spirit of this forum and a few people have called him on it.

That's actually a good point, and CS' post is actually NOT a WTB thread, but cleverly disguised SPAM.

A WTB post should be specific, involving a set of books you are looking for, and not an "I AM BUYING EVERYTHING!!" dealer advertisement. That kinda defeats the purpose of this entire Marketplace area.

This was just a "keep me in mind" thread. Oftentimes I am busy working and what not and I miss out on stuff I want. Heck, I should of just put PM me when you list something so I can participate. I tell ya, I can't win with some people.

Sorry To Derail this thread but I'll Also Gladly Pay Double the cover price of most silver age comics.....like I'd give 20 Cents For any Fantastic four 1 (1961)... 27_laughing.giftakeit.gif or 24 cents for Amazing Spider-man 1 takeit.gif heheh

ok, that was just stupid.

Oftentimes I am busy working and what not and I miss out on stuff I want.

Hey join the club buddy, but could you imagine this forum if everyone was like you and posted generic WTB posts?

Maybe we should all try it, just to prove a point. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Russ, here's the deal......without any venom:

I work during the day too. I sometimes have an opportunity to check in around lunchtime and occasionally snag a book. But normally I am away while most of the action is going on: during the day. That's the breaks. confused-smiley-013.gif

There are WTS threads in the evenings & weekends, so that's when I usually check in and may, or may not, grab a book. That's the way it works.

Now, I take it you work for yourself, full-time (correct me if I'm wrong) & you use the internet throughout much of the day to collect your orders. I would think you have more opportunity than I do to check in.

Most all WTS threads start with "First person to takeit.gif gets the book."

Right? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Sorry To Derail this thread but I'll Also Gladly Pay Double the cover price of most silver age comics.....like I'd give 20 Cents For any Fantastic four 1 (1961)... 27_laughing.giftakeit.gif or 24 cents for Amazing Spider-man 1 takeit.gif heheh

ok, that was just stupid.

This whole fight about the thread is stupid...thats why I put it there.....some people need to just loosen up and not take everything so seriously... stooges.gif

sounds like CS might be willing to buy inexpensive books in quantity that might not work so well in the BINs. He cited to about an 8 year stretch of recent Detectives for example. Kind of a pain listing 100 of those here at $2-$3 each.

A few months back, Russ bought a big pile of moderns from me for a VERY fair price. If he hadn't taken them, I honestly would have just put them in the donation box at my local library. I have bought and sold with Russ many times and he is extremely easy to work with.

• Administrator

Well, I guess the point is that he should be able to make that kind of post, but that it should be in the ebay/dealer section, because while all WTB's are welcome on this board, it implies specific WTBs rather than what would turn out to be an ever-spam of "WTB lots of stuff".

I get it. It makes sense. It also makes sense to me why CS posted here. He probably saw a number of comics sold to people that he would have bought and paid more for, but didn't get a chance to respond to. So his natural inclination would be to give everyone a heads-up that he would have bought them so that if they choose to, they can offer the comics to him first so that a potential win-win of him buying them for more $ doesn't get lost. That makes sense too.

However, I guess in the end I agree that people know in general that dealers buy books. If dealers want to advertise that general practice of buying books, the other board is probably more appropriate for it. On the other hand, if a dealer (just like a member) had some very specific runs or books that they were PARTICULARLY interested in, I think they'd have as much right to post here as anyone. But as a dealer, I'd be sparing in that use, highlighting their hardest to find searches rather than the 480 comics they think they might have a buyer for.

Sound right to everyone?