• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Legitimate Non-Threatening Questions Posed To Matt Nelson

719 posts in this topic

it's all about the $$$ and the dollars aren't there. confused-smiley-013.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

JIM 112 as a CGC 6.5 $138

JIM 112 as a CGC 7.5 $240

That's one book in a slab. Didn't I just say that people who DON'T BUY SLABS don't have to worry about pressing?

Come on guys, is it really THAT hard to just agree with something that should be obvious to anyone?

[

Quite frankly because pressing DOES impact more then just the HG market. To what % I have no idea. The point Davenport made about the Midgrade market being susceptible to pressing was what I was agreeing with. Even if it is a very small % it does not reduce its importance even if those being affected by it are still unaware of what is going on.

And while your statement was simple and obvious, it is our right to disagree with it.

Right?

flowerred.gif

It's clear you guys aren't bothering to read my posts before responding. I will say it one more time. People who don't buy SLABS, don't collect HIGH GRADE, and don't spend A LOT OF MONEY on books don't need to worry about pressing.

Davenport's example was of slabbed books. Your example was a midgrade Hulk 1 was would be worth thousands both before and after pressing. Neither example effectively refutes anything I said.

Come on guys, is it really THAT hard to just agree with something that should be obvious to anyone?

Apparently, yes.

I don't understand why the immediate response to a post is contention. confused-smiley-013.gif

Re: pressing detection...I highly doubt that anyone will ever be able to absolutely identify pressing. I purposely did not say "detect", because I think that is probably possible in a small percentage of cases. However, the problem lies in distinguishing pressing in a press from having sat in a stack of books or a tightly packed box for a few years.

You are basically trying to identify the intent with which pressure was applied to a book, and that just isn't possible without a history.

And Andy, how dare you say there's no money to be made in pressing $10,000 books. insane.gif

That's one book in a slab. Didn't I just say that people who DON'T BUY SLABS don't have to worry about pressing?

Ok, I have to go. But I wanted to say one last thing.

How are you so positive that only HG Slabbed books are pressed? What makes you think alot of mid grade pressed books are not floating around out there?.. Mid Grade keys might not be worth slabbing, but if pressed to a higher grade can still garner extra cash.Alot depending on the book.Or books that were improperly pressed might be downgraded by CGC but can still be sold for a decent amount raw. If anything, mid grade Raw books are ideal for pressing..no CGC fees . And since most people pay over guide for HG books..all the presser wants is to recoup his initial pressing fee.

These are just quick of the top of my head "what if "ideas, I dont really know. But I do know I am not ready to say only HG collectors need to be concerned about pressing.

And nobody is attacking you or your posts Andy.. just voicing an opposite viewpoint. please see my replies for what they are. My opinion, just as your posts are yours. You make the point in your last post to clarify mid grades and those who collect low dollar books are not really affected by pressing. I agree with that, my point was more about how some mid grades (especially keys) should be considered money makers as well as HG's. And those who buy them are no different then those who chase HG's. $500 is still $500 wether you spend it on a 6.5 or a 9.6

Ze-

People who don't buy SLABS, don't collect HIGH GRADE, and don't spend A LOT OF MONEY on books don't need to worry about pressing.

A word of caution from my own experience Andy - compared to the SA/BA market, there are a lot of expensive (>$100) low-mid grade raw GA books out there that have been tampered with. As you've no doubt seen from looking for Cole books on ebay, unless it's HG, it's not slabbed because there's really no premium on slabbing low-mid grade GA. This is a different dynamic than encountered when collecting BA and SA since the more expensive SA/BA books are HG books, and they are typically slabbed.

So while I agree that collecting 8.0-9.2 raw SA and BA books somewhat immunes you from having to worry about pressing/restoration, when you start spending over $100 a pop collecting 4.0-7.0 GA books, the risk increases a bit since the financial incentive is there to tamper with the books, and the financial gain can be achieved without going through CGC since the prices for slabbed and raw mid-grade GA books are pretty much the same. Make sense?

That's my $0.02! thumbsup2.gif

Apparently, yes.

Time to quit general again, I guess. confused-smiley-013.gif

It's clear you guys aren't bothering to read my posts before responding. I will say it one more time. People who don't buy SLABS, don't collect HIGH GRADE, and don't spend A LOT OF MONEY on books don't need to worry about pressing.

Davenport's example was of slabbed books. Your example was a midgrade Hulk 1 was would be worth thousands both before and after pressing. Neither example effectively refutes anything I said.

tonofbricks.gifI read your post but misunderstood it, that's why I asked. I thought you concluded NDP was limited to high CGC grade/high cost books. And I assumed the debate didn't include the risk for folks who never buy CGC'd items.

Sorry 'bout that. hi.gif

People who don't buy SLABS, don't collect HIGH GRADE, and don't spend A LOT OF MONEY on books don't need to worry about pressing.

A word of caution from my own experience Andy - there are a lot of expensive (>$100) low-mid grade raw GA books out there that have been tampered with. As you've no doubt seen from looking for Cole books on ebay, unless it's HG, it's not slabbed because there's really no premium on slabbing low-mid grade GA. This is a different dynamic than encountered when collecting BA and SA since the more expensive SA/BA books are HG books, and they are typically slabbed.

So while I agree that collecting 8.0-9.2 raw SA and BA books somewhat immunes you from having to worry about pressing/restoration, when you start spending over $100 a pop collecting 4.0-7.0 GA books, the risk increases a bit since the financial incentive is there to tamper with the books, and the financial gain can be achieved without going through CGC since the prices for slabbed and raw mid-grade GA books are pretty much the same. Make sense?

That's my $0.02! thumbsup2.gif

No doubt, but you have to admit that a lot of these resto attempts on 4.0-7.0 books are pretty bumbling efforts, and are generally detectible in about two seconds. Nobody is going to have a $75 book professionally restored (cue the dopes citing practice books) and as such I can rely on my own meager skills in that area to discover it. tongue.gif

As for pressing and better resto, yes it might be a concern on multi-hundred dollar books, but that's getting into the "a lot of money" category which I exempted from my statement.

tonofbricks.gifI read your post but misunderstood it, that's why I asked. I thought you concluded NDP was limited to high CGC grade/high cost books. And I assumed the debate didn't include the risk for folks who never buy CGC'd items.

Sorry 'bout that. hi.gif

No problem. I should have just posted that at the start to avoid confusion. My bad. foreheadslap.gif

You did say you wouldn't mind paying $200 for a book that had been pressed up from a $100 book. I assumed you were willing to pay that much for a book. I consider that pretty decent dough.

You did say you wouldn't mind paying $200 for a book that had been pressed up from a $100 book. I assumed you were willing to pay that much for a book. I consider that pretty decent dough.

What's your point?

What's your point?

Nevermind. yeahok.gif

What's your point?

Nevermind. yeahok.gif

Oh, I see what you mean. Well, the $100-200 scenario was a hypothetical raised by someone else, not an admission that people were actually DOING that.

Apparently, yes.

Time to quit general again, I guess. confused-smiley-013.gif

27_laughing.gif

No, with the exception of one multi-thread bender where one poster (who shall remain nameless) started about a half dozen threads on one (again, namless) topic, CG has been okay for a while (take a look at the main page right now- not a monoculture by any stretch of the imagination thumbsup2.gif)

Of course, I DID make the mistake of thinking that this thread would be anything other than a big flame war.

Of course, I DID make the mistake of thinking that this thread would be anything other than a big flame war.

You aren't the only one. foreheadslap.gif

You know, when I think back to some of the BIG flame wars......things are a lot tamer now. smirk.gif

You know, when I think back to some of the BIG flame wars......things are a lot tamer now. smirk.gif

What an old man comment! 27_laughing.gif

True. thumbsup2.gif