• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Legitimate Non-Threatening Questions Posed To Matt Nelson

719 posts in this topic

Practically speaking, if it takes more than "close inspection with the naked eye" to see the damage, who cares?

So how do you feel about micro-trimming?

I f'in love it and can't wait to get home to sharpen my hatchet to do more!! party.gifBEER.gifyay.gif

How do you feel about micro-trimming? How about getting kicked in the nads playing basketball? How about dropping your comic books in the bowl when spending an extended period of time in the "reading room"? poke2.gif

rolleyes.gif

Practically speaking, if it takes more than "close inspection with the naked eye" to see the damage, who cares?

I f'in love it and can't wait to get home to sharpen my hatchet to do more!! party.gifBEER.gifyay.gif

How do you feel about micro-trimming? How about getting kicked in the nads playing basketball? How about dropping your comic books in the bowl when spending an extended period of time in the "reading room"? poke2.gif

rolleyes.gif

I kind of feel like....practically speaking, if it takes more than "close inspection with the naked eye" to see the damage, who cares? poke2.gif

rolleyes.gif

Translation: Foot in mouth

flowerred.gif

I never said NOBODY cared. What I'm implying is that MOST people, most high grade collectors as well, don't care.

Please stop stating your opinion as if it's fact. Unless of course....you have some kind of data that supports this belief. confused-smiley-013.gif

Chris, I'll state it any way I like to. Please stop telling me how to post.

Come on, if no one cared, would we have all the debate, ongoing threads, scoop articles, etc, etc.? I guess it's comments like this that keep bringing me back into the fray and having to restate the fact that I am a HG collecter that cares. I consider myself part of the average HG collector's community out there, and I know I'm not alone in my position, and I/we care. makepoint.gif

If you look at it closely, you will see that the vast majority of this debate is being perpetuated by the same handful of people, on this board and elsewhere. If so many people care, why do I see them same names come up again and again? Shouldn't there be 50, 100, 500 different people writing letters, doing Scoop articles, starting threads, and taking out ads? I just don't see that happening. What I do see is the same 5-10 guys making the same points and the same dozen dealers responding. Sure, some new voices make themselves heard each time, but they don't stick around long....and isn't that telling of their level of "outrage"? I think so. confused-smiley-013.gif

Hell, you can't even get a majority of FORUM MEMBERS to take an active interest. If you can't get most of them involved good luck with collectors in general.

I never said NOBODY cared. What I'm implying is that MOST people, most high grade collectors as well, don't care.

Please stop stating your opinion as if it's fact. Unless of course....you have some kind of data that supports this belief. confused-smiley-013.gif

There ya go! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Now just extend others the same courtesy. thumbsup2.gif

I'd also like to see evidence that pressing doesn't damage books, from someone who isn't directly profiting from the practice, not just anecdotal input from people who have a vested interest in wanting the discussion to just "go away" and for everybody to continue operating just as they have for years.

There are hundreds of threads, thousands, that have nothing to do with pressing. We can't stomp our feet and expect the boards content to morph into our own personal wish list of topics. It is what it is. It reflects the current climate, for better or worse. There are huge chunks of the boards containing material that I find boring, or uninteresting or coarse, but I just don't bother to read it, and I don't complain that it's there.

Brian, when you said the following.....

Frankly I think the average collector STILL doesn't know what pressing is, and they don't care.

....you made my point for me (beside being a confusing, self-contradictory statement.....)

When the day comes that you can write that "the average collector KNOWS EXACTLY what pressing is, and is free to make an informed choice and doesn't care", then I'll stop writing about it.

I've never claimed to know how many "average collectors" know or don't know about pressing. I don't care about collectors like you Brian (nothing personal), because you've made up your mind based on a fairly good knowledge of what's going on.

I have no problem with that. But your view that there's nothing left to talk about is pretty myopic. Every day there are new people showing up on the boards, maybe reading about the issues for the very first time.

They may not sign up.

They may choose not to post.

But I bet more than a couple of them are getting an education on some of the things to watch out for in our perfect, blemish-free, 100% totally above board hobby. And that makes me feel great!

Like you said yourself, Brian....it's a public chat board. I would never expect to be able to control the content flow. If you don't like it, don't read it.

Brad

The burden is on the people asking for mandatory disclosure to show that it DOES damage the book, not for others to prove that it doesn't. I'd like to see some evidence, anecdotal or otherwise, that it does damage the book.

As for the don't like it don't read it, I say the same to you when I proclaim that this is a topic going nowhere in every single thread. My posts are just about as boring and tiresome as the ones promoting disclosure.

I am extending them the same courtesy. I'm just telling them I'm tired of hearing as are a myriad of others both on and off the boards.

I am extending them the same courtesy. I'm just telling them I'm tired of hearing as are a myriad of others both on and off the boards.

There you go again....."myriad". yeahok.gif

Which is basically just telling them how to post. yeahok.gif

Guess what....

We all know you're tired of hearing it. gossip.gif

I personally feel pressing should be proactively disclosed by people like Doug and Matt, but it's not going to change my buying habits whether they're NOD certified or not. confused-smiley-013.gif

Unless of course we find out one form of pressing(or all forms of pressing) are found to be damaging the funny books.How much research has actually been done(other then close inspection with the naked eye?)to determine what the various forms of pressing are doing to a book.I think dealers would be forced to disclose what type of pressing was done to a book, just like any other form of resto is today. But...since we cant detect it, they get a "Get out of jail free card, sent on their merrry way with pockets bulging! Heck we even pat some of them on the back.

Till then all we are left with is talking about it.

One of my goals goal no matter how futile it is , is to actually try and get some concrete profesional evidence,( no matter which side it favors) about the effects pressing has on our books. Of course I want it to be found that is has long term damage, and force those who are doing it purely for profit, and not as part of resoration to stop. But if it ends up that pressing books has no ill effects, I will say that as well. I am just tired of talking about it period, but it is not my place to decide when that talk should end. But rather redirect my energy towards an end goal.Or at least I will feel like I am trying to do something positive, if only for my own personal satisfatction.

Ze-

I don't care if people talk about it and I'm not trying to stop the pressing debate. (I, personally, think it's a very interesting topic -- which is why I read thread after thread on the subject.) My issue is with Mark's repeated "calling out" of Matt after Matt has indicated that he's not going to kowtow to Mark's demands for Matt to engage him in something that Matt views as a pointless debate. And if I feel like Mark is being a jerk to Matt, I don't need to sit back and just watch it.

I know pressing and manipulation has been around for a long, long time -- and I have no problem with artificial manipulation in the form of pressing or the fact that it's purely for profit.

Mind-boggling

The state of preservation of a comic book has always been the fundamental factor that dictates its worth. The correlation between condition & value is direct.

How can the manipulation of structure not impact the future value of comics?

Structural condition has always been King because it represented a DEGREE OF PRESERVATION .

That is no longer the case.

Look at the bright side. If people can no longer trust in structural condition, maybe they'll finally have to start focusing on QP as a valuation factor. poke2.gif

I know pressing and manipulation has been around for a long, long time -- and I have no problem with artificial manipulation in the form of pressing or the fact that it's purely for profit.

Mind-boggling

The state of preservation of a comic book has always been the fundamental factor that dictates its worth. The correlation between condition & value is direct.

How can the manipulation of structure not impact the future value of comics?

Structural condition has always been King because it represented a DEGREE OF PRESERVATION .

That is no longer the case.

Look at the bright side. If people can no longer trust in structural condition, maybe they'll finally have to start focusing on QP as a valuation factor. poke2.gif

Or *gasp* actual content or artistic merit. 893whatthe.gif

Come on, if no one cared, would we have all the debate, ongoing threads, scoop articles, etc, etc.? I guess it's comments like this that keep bringing me back into the fray and having to restate the fact that I am a HG collecter that cares. I consider myself part of the average HG collector's community out there, and I know I'm not alone in my position, and I/we care. makepoint.gif

If you look at it closely, you will see that the vast majority of this debate is being perpetuated by the same handful of people, on this board and elsewhere. If so many people care, why do I see them same names come up again and again? Shouldn't there be 50, 100, 500 different people writing letters, doing Scoop articles, starting threads, and taking out ads? I just don't see that happening. What I do see is the same 5-10 guys making the same points and the same dozen dealers responding. Sure, some new voices make themselves heard each time, but they don't stick around long....and isn't that telling of their level of "outrage"? I think so. confused-smiley-013.gif

Hell, you can't even get a majority of FORUM MEMBERS to take an active interest. If you can't get most of them involved good luck with collectors in general.

I know for a fact that when I joined these boards and posted my first post, which was asked, "What id the deal with pressing"?, I got the "Oh, here we go again" response. So, this debate was around and didn't involve me then, so I feel there are always new people learning and joining in on the discussion.

Here's the flip side to your argument..."If so many people DON'T care, why do I see them same names come up again and again? Shouldn't there be 50, 100, 500 different people writing letters, doing Scoop articles, starting threads, and taking out ads? I just don't see that happening. What I do see is the same 5-10 guys making the same points and the same dozen dealers responding."

confused-smiley-013.gif

When the day comes that you can write that "the average collector KNOWS EXACTLY what pressing is, and is free to make an informed choice and doesn't care", then I'll stop writing about it.

Liar. poke2.gif

Liar. poke2.gif

Try me.

wink.gif

I know for a fact that when I joined these boards and posted my first post, which was asked, "What id the deal with pressing"?, I got the "Oh, here we go again" response. So, this debate was around and didn't involve me then, so I feel there are always new people learning and joining in on the discussion.

Here's the flip side to your argument..."If so many people DON'T care, why do I see them same names come up again and again? Shouldn't there be 50, 100, 500 different people writing letters, doing Scoop articles, starting threads, and taking out ads? I just don't see that happening. What I do see is the same 5-10 guys making the same points and the same dozen dealers responding."

confused-smiley-013.gif

How does that make sense? confused.gif When you don't care about something you don't bother with it. Someone who doesn't care about pressing simply ignores the whole debate. They aren't going to go to any great lengths to make their opinions heard, because (duh) they don't care!