• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Legitimate Non-Threatening Questions Posed To Matt Nelson

719 posts in this topic

Frankly I think the average collector STILL doesn't know what pressing is, and they don't care. I think the average HG collector knows what pressing is, and they don't care either.

Another great post based on fact.........

I love how posters like yourself and FFB know so much that you can speak on behalf of the populace. The world wouldn't be safe without such wonderful advocates as yourself protecting all our interests. insane.gif

I don't claim to speak for the entire populace. Just the ones who agree with me. yay.gif

And how is the wife? confused-smiley-013.gif

Cheap shot! 893whatthe.gif893censored-thumb.gif

Mods notified. poke2.gifyay.gif

Jeez...I've given you a lot worse [embarrassing lack of self control] than that. confused-smiley-013.gif

Thought it was witty, myself, rather than my usual 'offensive'.?

I was just joshing with you about notifying the mods, Nick! 27_laughing.gifpoke2.gif

893censored-thumb.gif I thought I had a shot at going out in a martyred blaze of glory! sumo.gif

I wouldn't give you the pleasure! makepoint.gifyay.gif

why not use some of th emoney collected for EWERT ETC (or solicit new funds) to hire actual pollsters to do it?

MARK, YOU MUST KNOW OF real polling outfits... chances are there will be quite a few onsite in San Diego for Hollywood who might have a fee for an extra 4 or 5 questions to ask???

As a trademark infringement litigator who has dealt extensively with survey experts, I can tell you with 100% certainty that the money collected from EWERT ETC donors would not cover the initial phone calls with the survey expert to give them enough information to think about crafting the survey, let alone enough to get them to prepare and administer a survey. True survey experts are highly skilled people and are very expensive. Add to that the fact that there aren't that many of them in the US who actually have sufficient expertise to put together a good survey. The pool of experts who actually know what they're doing and whose surveys could actually stand up to cross-examination in court is so small that it would shock you if you realized how few there are.

The last full survey I did in a trademark lawsuit was in 2002. It was a relatively simple, three-question survey regarding the similarity between the display screens of two protocol analyzers. The pool of potential customers (the survey population) included about 200 people. It cost my client just a hair under $45,000.00 for the survey expert to design and administer the survey and to tabulate and analyze the results.

Anyone could put together an informal survey and pass it around, but to put together a survey that actually meant something would cost in excess of $50,000.00, and given how complicated the issues are and the number of people you'd need to include to arrive at a valid survey sample, probably well in excess of that. It would be awesome if we could do it, but I think it's fair to say that it's cost-prohibitive.

I'm running a $39,999.99 three question special right now if anyone is interested. smile.gif

why not use some of th emoney collected for EWERT ETC (or solicit new funds) to hire actual pollsters to do it?

MARK, YOU MUST KNOW OF real polling outfits... chances are there will be quite a few onsite in San Diego for Hollywood who might have a fee for an extra 4 or 5 questions to ask???

As a trademark infringement litigator who has dealt extensively with survey experts, I can tell you with 100% certainty that the money collected from EWERT ETC donors would not cover the initial phone calls with the survey expert to give them enough information to think about crafting the survey, let alone enough to get them to prepare and administer a survey. True survey experts are highly skilled people and are very expensive. Add to that the fact that there aren't that many of them in the US who actually have sufficient expertise to put together a good survey. The pool of experts who actually know what they're doing and whose surveys could actually stand up to cross-examination in court is so small that it would shock you if you realized how few there are.

The last full survey I did in a trademark lawsuit was in 2002. It was a relatively simple, three-question survey regarding the similarity between the display screens of two protocol analyzers. The pool of potential customers (the survey population) included about 200 people. It cost my client just a hair under $45,000.00 for the survey expert to design and administer the survey and to tabulate and analyze the results.

Anyone could put together an informal survey and pass it around, but to put together a survey that actually meant something would cost in excess of $50,000.00, and given how complicated the issues are and the number of people you'd need to include to arrive at a valid survey sample, probably well in excess of that. It would be awesome if we could do it, but I think it's fair to say that it's cost-prohibitive.

Scott, TMI bro, TMI.

Belittling efforts be they hypothetical or not , no matter how small they may be serves nobody. I know you don't feel a post like the one you made above is offering anything more then information to the subject at hand. I realize we come from different worlds,me being more grassroots, and you (for lack of a better term) big city lawyer dude. We both can achive great results employing different methods. I respect how you get things done, but your post come across like everything else is futile.

Perhaps belittling is too strong a word. I know you mean well but if my pov means anything, you come on too strong, and take a tone with people they normally only hear from their parents, when they Juststopit.DoyouWANTastrike? up.

I happen to think if people get together and give their time freely they can achieve similar results, epecially when the folks giving their time freely can hit the ground running since they are well versed in the subject matter. So now that we know how much it costs to conduct a "real 50k 3 question survey", how would you suggest one goes about making one of our own? That is what I would rather see you offer your thoughts on.

Respectfully

Ze-

In terms of a survey -- ordinarily I would walk around a con and do that -- but at this b-more con I will be with my girlfriend and I think that this time I won't be on the floor quite as much as normal...

but it's a good idea nevertheless -- it certainly would interesting. Even if we didn't consider it "hard evidence" per se.

I know pressing and manipulation has been around for a long, long time -- and I have no problem with artificial manipulation in the form of pressing or the fact that it's purely for profit.

Mind-boggling

The state of preservation of a comic book has always been the fundamental factor that dictates its worth. The correlation between condition & value is direct.

How can the manipulation of structure not impact the future value of comics?

Structural condition has always been King because it represented a DEGREE OF PRESERVATION .

That is no longer the case.

893whatthe.gif We finally agree on something!

okay. okay its too expensive.

how much for a semi-professional???

Surely it would be of benefit to get the great unwashed (already finely represented of their views by Foolkiller) to answer neutral based questions like:

Do you know what pressing is?

When I say the word pressing do you want to vomit or do your eyes go ching ching....(just kidding)

Have you ever pressed a book?

If you know about pressing then please rate how you feel about it (1-5 scale)

I am sure you guys could come up with 5 or 6 questions.

My proposals:

1. Do you know what pressing is?

2. If yes, do you believe that pressing is restoration?

3. If a book has been pressed, do you believe that fact should be disclosed?

4. If yes, do you believe the disclosure should be upfront, or only upon being asked?

Surely it would be of benefit to get the great unwashed (already finely represented of their views by Foolkiller) to answer neutral based questions like:

Do you know what pressing is?

When I say the word pressing do you want to vomit or do your eyes go ching ching....(just kidding)

Have you ever pressed a book?

If you know about pressing then please rate how you feel about it (1-5 scale)

I am sure you guys could come up with 5 or 6 questions.

My proposals:

4. If yes, do you believe the disclosure should be upfront, or only upon being asked?

Nice questions Tim..heres my take

Sticking with Scotts 3 question model. And keeping things simple, I propose these 3 questions for approval.

#1- What era comics do you mostly buy? GA SA BA Modern

#2- What condition comic do you normally buy? Readers Midgrade HG

#3- Would you pay the same for a book that was pressed to remove certain flaws?

Ze-

IN addition to any survey that may or not take life in the week left before SD, I suggest that Mark and Red prepare flyers of Mark's "writings" on the subject. Simply desktop publish them as pdfs, cramming the words or editing them onto simple 8.5x11 sheets and Kinko up 500 or so and start handing them out, or better, work with an exhibitor to display them at their booth(s).

This will be inexpensive (Kinkoing a ream's worth is what $20? each)?? This will get the word out , or be ignored, by the Con attendees.

Of course ANY thing can be prepared as a handout, I suggest Marks essays because they tended to be pretty thorough and well thought out.

and - - - - if FFB or Foolkiller or anyone on the Distinguished Competition cares to supply Red (like the way I volunteered you for this?) with an essay or two, we could pass them BOTH out to each collector, thereby spredaing the "hate pressing" and "whats the big deal?" viewpoints out there as a kina comics Point/Counterpoint thing.

sound like a plan. They should definitely be available at Marks Meeting, too! And handed out at the dor to EVERY attendee.

also add a question "if you hav eheard about pressing, where did you learn about it?"

just for some reference as to where and how the subject is getting out there.

I agree there are a ton more questions that could be asked. I imagine keeping it short and sweet helps in the long run for both the survey takers, and those taking the time to answer the questions. People can only handle so much in a situation like that, questions that are easy to answer, yet convey specific information seems to be the best bet.

At least I think so... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ze-

My non-biased questions:

1) Do you know what non-disassemby pressing is in relation to comic books?

2) Would you pay the same price for a pressed book as you would for a non-pressed book in the same grade?

3) How do you feel getting ripped off by unscrupulous dealers and sellers who either perform this work or have it performed, then do not disclose it up front to unsuspecting buyers such as yourself to milk every last dollar they can out of you?

As I said, completely unbiased angel.gif

3) How do you feel getting ripped off by unscrupulous dealers and sellers who either perform this work or have it performed, then do not disclose it up front to unsuspecting buyers such as yourself to milk every last dollar they canout of you?

Just take out the bolded words and it will be fine!

Ze-

Scott, TMI bro, TMI.

Belittling efforts be they hypothetical or not , no matter how small they may be serves nobody. I know you don't feel a post like the one you made above is offering anything more then information to the subject at hand. I realize we come from different worlds,me being more grassroots, and you (for lack of a better term) big city lawyer dude. We both can achive great results employing different methods. I respect how you get things done, but your post come across like everything else is futile.

Perhaps belittling is too strong a word. I know you mean well but if my pov means anything, you come on too strong, and take a tone with people they normally only hear from their parents, when they Juststopit.DoyouWANTastrike? up.

I happen to think if people get together and give their time freely they can achieve similar results, epecially when the folks giving their time freely can hit the ground running since they are well versed in the subject matter. So now that we know how much it costs to conduct a "real 50k 3 question survey", how would you suggest one goes about making one of our own? That is what I would rather see you offer your thoughts on.

Respectfully

Ze-

Kenny, are you hitting the sauce again tonight? There was absolutely nothing "belittling" about what I wrote. You're choosing to read way more into my post than was intended. Aman asked whether we could fund a survey and I explained (with enough detail to make the point clearly, I thought) why it isn't cost effective. That's it. I didn't pooh pooh the idea that Brad had about taking informal measures. I spoke only to the issue of commissioning a formal survey and tried to explain why it was not as easy to do that as some might think.

As for the informal measures, I think that it's a great idea for Brad and Brian and anyone else to put together a "neutral" batch of questions and walk it around a convention for people to answer. I don't think it will yield scientifically reliable results, but that won't make the results any less interesting if the questions are worded neutrally. Hell, I'd even help take a crack at putting the thing together if people are serious about it.

I like these, and would add one more...

5. If you don't believe pressing to be restoration, would you be prepared to pay the same money for a pressed book as you would an unpressed one?

Three questions are great, but I believe we can stretch to five, providing they are straight forward and simple. With these five, the answers are one word, so we won't be taxing anybody's patience.

I actually have over 300+ e-mail addresses of buyers and would be happy to send the agreed questionaire out and collate the response. The results can then be added to the 'pot'.

Thanks guys. Some great suggestions there!

As Brian said above, results of a survey like this would be purely non-scientific, but would certainly be a cost-effective improvement over anecdotally-based presumptions and talking points. I think the scale of this informal straw poll would be adequate for now, and I think the idea of mailing out surveys is a good one.

The only thing I would hesitate to do would be to seed a convention with material like Aman suggested....that could influence the results. Like I said, the goal of this survey should be fact gathering, not editorializing. I just want to see what the current awareness level of collectors is, not influence it, at least for now.

Red

I agree -- and would certainly be willing to donate towards some of the cost of a mailing --

or it could even be done via email, similar to the way we contacted the Ewert folks --

We put together a questionairre -- one that we all agree on -- and hey it wouldn't change my opinion per se, but it would certainly give me a perspective on just how prevalent a problem this is and what the need is for education and information and the demand for disclosure -- if I thought the public at large was demanding it -- I still personally wouldn't be involved -- but I wouldn't be posting that people were tired of the subject --

and by that same token, there's an instant membership base for the NOD created if there turns out to be like 200 people interested in disclosure that never heard of pressing or the NOD before... and I have some ideas about how to get some help in distributing this survey massively.

I suspect less than 1 in 10 of convention attendees walking in the door at any of the big conventions know what pressing is, and even if they do, that they know about the issue at hand here (pressed books in blue labeled slabs). That number will be higher for people that buy slabbed books, and much higher for people that buy expensive slabbed books.

In other words, to make the survey relevant to the problem, it would be good to know the results for the subset of participants affected by the problem (which could be defined by those buying $100+ books or whatever). A question about their buying habits (do they buy slabbed books, do they frequently buy expensive books) would be useful to interpret the results. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif