• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Legitimate Non-Threatening Questions Posed To Matt Nelson

719 posts in this topic

Unless you'd rather stick a fork in your eye than read yet another long-winded treatise on pressing (written by a lawyer nonetheless!), there's a pragmatic article in the latest GPA newsletter, titled:

"A Not So Pressing Matter by Peter J. Bilelis, Esq"

I don't recognize the name, is this a board-member? If not, he's certainly a lurker and should be a board member! hi.gif

Learned_Hand gossip.gif

I'm just so out of the loop... foreheadslap.gif

Imagine how the 'average collector' must feel. insane.gif

I don't believe the average collector knows about the issue, nor would they really care if they knew since it wouldn't affect them one bit as they dig through the quarter, dollar, and "50% off SA and BA!!" boxes anyway. The average collector doesn't buy slabbed books, nor does he buy expensive books. Board members care, but we're all above average collectors anyway! acclaim.gif

One doesn't need to be directly impacted by blatant manipulation to take issue & protest against it.

1. Do you know what pressing is?

2. If yes, do you believe that pressing is restoration?

3. If a book has been pressed, do you believe that fact should be disclosed?

4. If yes, do you believe the disclosure should be upfront, or only upon being asked?

5. If you don't believe pressing to be restoration, would you be prepared to pay the same money for a pressed book as you would an unpressed one?

I think they need some tweaking to make the questions less loaded in some areas, but it's a good start. thumbsup2.gif

OK, this is not in any way facetious, and is a genuine request for assistance, but...

I think the premise of each question is actually just about perfect. However, how would you rephrase them to make them less 'loaded'? confused-smiley-013.gif

I'll take a crack at these today and will post what I come up with.

1. are you familiar with the term "pressing" as it relates to comics?

2. do you consider it to be restoration?

3. if a seller is aware that a book being sold has been pressed, should this be disclosed?

4. would you consider pressing to be a factor in making a buying decision?

5. in addition to collecting comics, do you also enjoy smoking crack?

Unless you'd rather stick a fork in your eye than read yet another long-winded treatise on pressing (written by a lawyer nonetheless!), there's a pragmatic article in the latest GPA newsletter, titled:

"A Not So Pressing Matter by Peter J. Bilelis, Esq"

I don't recognize the name, is this a board-member? If not, he's certainly a lurker and should be a board member! hi.gif

Learned_Hand gossip.gif

Ya, I read that pile of bull. I think it's fine for him to articulate his feelings on the matter, but the constant "matter of fact" way he lumped all "anti-NDPers" thoughts and feelings on the topic together was rather disappointing.

He and Foolkiller's ability to state their opinions like scientific facts is astounding. foreheadslap.gif

How are you any different in that regard? You're as guilty of it as anyone here.

Really? That's funny, I've never been accused of that until now apparently. Please let me know as perhaps I can change my wording and language to correct that in going forward if that's truly the case.

1. Do you know what pressing is?

2. If yes, do you believe that pressing is restoration?

3. If a book has been pressed, do you believe that fact should be disclosed?

4. If yes, do you believe the disclosure should be upfront, or only upon being asked?

5. If you don't believe pressing to be restoration, would you be prepared to pay the same money for a pressed book as you would an unpressed one?

Will there be an email address associated with this poll? So that when the poll is posted on various Chat Boards, everyone's responses can be tallied up?

Hey, you guys should come outside and play. Staying in this thread day after day can't be healthy.

Fire up the grill & put the beer on ice. I'm coming over for a backyard BBQ headbang.gif

I'll run accross the street and pick up a few steaks. I need everyone who is coming to RSVP so I get enough!

BYOB

yay.gif

Hey, you guys should come outside and play. Staying in this thread day after day can't be healthy.

Fire up the grill & put the beer on ice. I'm coming over for a backyard BBQ headbang.gif

I still say we find Greggy and beat him up.

Just for the sense of community, of course.

I still say we find Greggy and beat him up.

Just for the sense of community, of course.

Invite him to the BBQ!

I'll run accross the street and pick up a few steaks. I need everyone who is coming to RSVP so I get enough!

BYOB

yay.gif

Forum BBQ at OGs house!!!!! headbang.gif

You coming to Chicago? poke2.gif

Every check in after being away from the boards and are happy to see there haven't been additional posts added to a particular thread?

This is one of those times. wink.gif

Every check in after being away from the boards and are happy to see there haven't been additional posts added to a particular thread?

This is one of those times. wink.gif

But now you've just added an additional post to this thread! foreheadslap.gifpoke2.gif

I'm actually waiting for Scott to tinker with the wording on the five questions we cobbled together. I think the thrust of the questions had the issue in a nutshell, and at five, kept the attention span. However, Scott thought they might be leading, so...

Whatchugot, FFB? confused-smiley-013.gif

I'm actually waiting for Scott to tinker with the wording on the five questions we cobbled together. I think the thrust of the questions had the issue in a nutshell, and at five, kept the attention span. However, Scott thought they might be leading, so...

Whatchugot, FFB? confused-smiley-013.gif

Sooooo.....

Is this yet another well-intentioned idea that's fallen by the wayside due to the typical outbreak of 'couldn't be arsed'? confused-smiley-013.gif