• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coming Soon: PayPal Dispute Resolution Chargeback Coverage

9 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I'm Larry Friedberg with PayPal Trust & Safety. During Tuesday's keynote address at eBay Live!, Meg Whitman announced an important change that will benefit PayPal sellers. Beginning later this summer, PayPal will be offering chargeback coverage for sellers who use PayPal Dispute Resolution. This protection eliminates the "double jeopardy" situation that can happen when a sellers is involved in a transaction dispute.

Chargeback coverage will apply in two situations: if a PayPal seller resolves a dispute amicably with the buyer through PayPal Dispute Resolution, or if the dispute is escalated to a claim and PayPal finds in the seller's favor. In either case, if the buyer then files a chargeback with their credit card company for that transaction, PayPal will fully protect the seller from a chargeback. (Please note that if the dispute or claim hasn't been resolved prior to the chargeback being filed, the seller will not be covered against the chargeback.)

Our PayPal Dispute Resolution page will be updated in the next few weeks with more information about this extra chargeback coverage.

Sincerely,

Larry Friedberg

PayPal Trust & Safety Marketing

yeahok.gif

Hi everyone, I'm Larry Friedberg with PayPal Trust & Safety. During Tuesday's keynote address at eBay Live!, Meg Whitman announced an important change that will benefit PayPal sellers. Beginning later this summer, PayPal will be offering chargeback coverage for sellers who use PayPal Dispute Resolution. This protection eliminates the "double jeopardy" situation that can happen when a sellers is involved in a transaction dispute.

Chargeback coverage will apply in two situations: if a PayPal seller resolves a dispute amicably with the buyer through PayPal Dispute Resolution, or if the dispute is escalated to a claim and PayPal finds in the seller's favor. In either case, if the buyer then files a chargeback with their credit card company for that transaction, PayPal will fully protect the seller from a chargeback. (Please note that if the dispute or claim hasn't been resolved prior to the chargeback being filed, the seller will not be covered against the chargeback.)

Our PayPal Dispute Resolution page will be updated in the next few weeks with more information about this extra chargeback coverage.

Sincerely,

Larry Friedberg

yeahok.gif

...that makes Hulk's head hurt,... confused.gif

Sincerely,

Larry Friedberg

yeahok.gif

...that makes Hulk's head hurt,... confused.gif

I'm just wondering if fees are going up to cover this.

I hope it's optional per transaction.

Why do anything on all those $20-$50 items sold to regular customers.

I'd just like the protection on more expensive items and would be willing to pay a small fee to get it on a per item basis.

If I read it right it only good in the buyer agrees to hold of charge back untill after the paypal dispute resolution process. If he /she/it starts the chargeback before process is done the protection is useless

If I read it right it only good in the buyer agrees to hold of charge back untill after the paypal dispute resolution process. If he /she/it starts the chargeback before process is done the protection is useless

I read it the same way.

Or if the person just does the chargeback without even starting the complaint process.

Seems a bit of a scam to me. Make them a few extra cents per sale that likely nobody is ever going to actually need to use. Heck, I'm sure every scammer just looked at it and breathed a sigh of relief when they read that it only applies if the complaint process is followed.

I'd bet that most chargebacks are due to stolen and unauthorized use of credit cards... NOT chargebacks because the buyer was unhappy with the transaction.

Give me protection against stolen and hijacked accounts that go on spending sprees. I'm not worried about unhappy [legitimate] customers.