• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Sweet FF#55 Silver Surfer Cover

41 posts in this topic

I think 9.0 may be a tad generous - more like 8.5. I got a 9.0 FF48 back from CGC that i think looks a little better than this one. But the scans are still a bit off...

Mike,

Much better, although it is still a little pixelated, and I see some ink bleed (which I don't think is there).

Can we see the BC with your, ahem, new settings?

thumbsup2.gif

-d

Here it is, with my, ahem, frustrated.gif new settings. I still need to mess with the settings some more, but things aren't looking so harsh. What dpi setting are most of you using? I use 100dpi with compression of the file at about 80%.

ff55bca0001.jpg

The corners are banged up a bit on all 4.

Tiny little chip on the edge next to the comics code stamp.

Top staple is showing signs of wear.

And with what you said about the back cover being what it is...

Unfortunately I think the others saying 9.0 is way too high for this book.

I'm going to say a 7.5-8.0. I'd be happier if the back cover had even discoloration but those top corners make it look worse than it really is.

sorry sorry.gif

Dear BF,

There's no way in hello that this book is a 7.5. makepoint.gif

sincerely,

-D

insane.gif

tonofbricks.gif

I admit, I'm sometimes overly strict! confused-smiley-013.gif

I'm just saying that I think the back cover really brings this issue down as we see it now. Especially at the top corners.

Plus I'm willing to bet that with the staple crease we can see at the top that there are a few non-color breaking creases at the bottom stable.

Oh well...

Ok i'll buy all books you will sell on boards if you're sooooo strict 27_laughing.gif

i really thinks that book is 9.0 .... a sweet 9.0 cloud9.gif

I was going to say the same thing. If you had this book in hand, you'd have to say 8.5, i would think. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

What dpi setting are most of you using? I use 100dpi with compression of the file at about 80%.

Mike - go to 200 dpi and compress at 50% wink.gif Also make sure your scanner is on the true color (12 zillion colors) setting 27_laughing.gif

What dpi setting are most of you using? I use 100dpi with compression of the file at about 80%.

Mike - go to 200 dpi and compress at 50% wink.gif Also make sure your scanner is on the true color (12 zillion colors) setting 27_laughing.gif

I think it's 16 zillion, no? grin.gif Also, why is the upper left and upper right on the back cover a different color? Ink transfers?

I think it's 16 zillion, no? grin.gif Also, why is the upper left and upper right on the back cover a different color? Ink transfers?

27_laughing.gif Sure looks like classic ink transfer, except that there's no margin . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Also, why is the upper left and upper right on the back cover a different color? Ink transfers?

Don't know why. The yellowing/aging did not affecxt those two areas for some reason. Also on the front cover blurb balloon you can see the inside cover ghosting through. It is light on the outside but directly on the inside cover there is an ad that has another blurb that is dark black.

Ok i'll buy all books you will sell on boards if you're sooooo strict 27_laughing.gif

Everybody is strict when it comes to someone else's books. When it's time to sell their own though, they suddenly develop eye problems. crazy.gifwink.gif

Here it is at 200 dpi and 50% compression. I'm not sure if that is better, but it sure is large onnthe screen. scan200dpi50percentallauto0002.jpg

Everybody is strict when it comes to someone else's books. When it's time to sell their own though, they suddenly develop eye problems. crazy.gifwink.gif

27_laughing.gif

Mike,

Try this: scan at 200 dpi and "resize" to 50%, at maximum quality settings (i.e. no compression)

-David

Tried that and the file size was 750K. reduced it to 80% compression and file size became 200K, acceptable. It looks, quality wise, about the same as the 100 dpi 80% compression. I did find the gamma correction button set to 2.2. i reduced it to 1.8 and the scans look much less harsh. My FF 48 up to be graded is 100dpi, 80% compression, and lowered the gamma, and lowered the sharpness. I think it is just about there. grin.gif

Mike,

Try this: scan at 200 dpi and "resize" to 50%, at maximum quality settings (i.e. no compression)

-David

Tried that and the file size was 750K. reduced it to 80% compression and file size became 200K, acceptable. It looks, quality wise, about the same as the 100 dpi 80% compression. I did find the gamma correction button set to 2.2. i reduced it to 1.8 and the scans look much less harsh. My FF 48 up to be graded is 100dpi, 80% compression, and lowered the gamma, and lowered the sharpness. I think it is just about there. grin.gif

750 K is optimum - 200 K is what it is . . . I'd sell a lot more books at 200K confused-smiley-013.gif