• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signatures before CGC SS...

10 posts in this topic

Odd question maybe, but has there ever been a problem with the authenticity of comic book creator signatures before CGC SS came along? Other than maybe Bob Kane or Shuster I can't imagine any sigs being valuable enough to forge. confused-smiley-013.gif

Odd question maybe, but has there ever been a problem with the authenticity of comic book creator signatures before CGC SS came along? Other than maybe Bob Kane or Shuster I can't imagine any sigs being valuable enough to forge. confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't know of anything myself.

The only time I have heard of massive forgeries occured in the 90's with baseball autographs. I can't imagine comic book creators would be forged at all.

C'mon Alex, use your imagination... You are a scumbag shop owner and you've just finished colortouching your weekly batch of black-cover books. So what are you to do in your down time? The answer is easy -- practice your "Jim Lee" or "Michael Turner" or "Todd McFarlane". Once you have those down go get your stack of $1 books and make them instant $25 autographed books. That type of stuff used to happen all the time in the '90s. I'm sure it's still happeneing today.

Moral of the story -- never pay extra for a signature.

Is your next question going to be why have SS if there is no apparent problems in the industry because you don't collect them and don't see what all the fuss is about confused-smiley-013.gif

C'mon Alex, use your imagination... You are a scumbag shop owner and you've just finished colortouching your weekly batch of black-cover books. So what are you to do in your down time? The answer is easy -- practice your "Jim Lee" or "Michael Turner" or "Todd McFarlane". Once you have those down go get your stack of $1 books and make them instant $25 autographed books. That type of stuff used to happen all the time in the '90s. I'm sure it's still happeneing today.

Moral of the story -- never pay extra for a signature.

so we should start asking for id before we get an artist to sign a book in front of a witness?

Is your next question going to be why have SS if there is no apparent problems in the industry because you don't collect them and don't see what all the fuss is about confused-smiley-013.gif

Well, I would never be so rude as to phrase it quite that way, but... 27_laughing.gif

Seriously, though, I've been getting creators to sign my books for over 30 years now, all witnessed by myself, and suddenly i feel as if these books (owned by me and countless others) are now considered "worthless" because they don't have CGC's ~$30 certificate of authenticity attached to them.

I have no problem with anyone collecting what they like, but it sometimes seems silly (to me) that so much value would be placed on CGC's authentication when very few creators' sigs were worth anything before CGC came along. I have never seen signed books going for much of a premium (if any), and most creators I've seen at conventions over the years sign plenty of comics for absolutely no charge.

Now that we've gotten all the wink-wink-say-no-more's out of the way, I can't help but wonder if CGC-SS filled a need in the collecting community or created the demand in the first place? confused-smiley-013.gif

same as the blue labels, raw are not worth the same as slabbed even though could be the same exact grade. People will pay a premium for certification. I have alot of books i got signed (wd #6-20 by moore and kirkman) raw. Are they worth the same as a certified set? NOPE. Will i ever sell my core autographed raw set? Probably not. Personally I like the label and look of the book encapsulated but I also know at $27 i have to be selective.

I would really like to hear some of the older books you have signed. Sounds like it would be an awesome list.

If you have that extensive of an autograph collection I need a few books from you.

Do you have any signed by wally wood seigal or shuster, Bob Kane or Gil Kane, John Buscema, Jack Kirby, reed crandal, johnny craig, or bill gaines I will take those off your hands.