• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Blue Label Notes

60 posts in this topic

Hi,

Some very interesting comments. I am a little surprised that nobody brought up getting the slight restoration removed. i realize it may be a risk but is it worth it if it only knocks teh grade 1/2 point, ie 9.2 is now a 9.0?

The MF52 that somebody mentioned as a 250,000 book without the color touch but with it it sold for 150kish? is that enough of a discount to attempt the removal?

What do you guys think about the Mile High Superman 1 that is a 8.0 with color touch? Is it worth more or less than the VF- that sold a few years ago? Personally, I would rather have the VF- assuming it was accurately graded. And I agree with whomever said they would rather take the All-Star 3 in 9.4 verses the 9.6 with color touch.

What I can't stand about CGC, sorry Steve, is how they minimize writing on the cover or in the inside. I hate it when someone writes their name on the 1st page and feel the comic deserves a severe downgrade cause of it. I remember when CGC used to put such defects on the blue label but I believe now you can resubmit those books so nothing will appear on the label. Pretty sucky if you ask me. For the record, I don't mind it when the original store owner wrote a date or code or even the famous Larson signature as long as it isn't right on Batman's face.

Is it the Mountain something pedigree (silver age) where almost everybook has a name written on the first page yet most of those books are NM+. I don't understand it? Sorry for the brief rant.

Hi Eric

To start[personally] I consider the removal of restoration [Restoration]

Everyone knows that Mile High Superman #1 was restored.It is now unrestored again.That book to me is still restored.I will bet the kitchen sink that the 7.5[with a clean history]will BLOW AWAY the 8.0 Mile high Superman #1. How can you dare not put in its notes that it was restored and the restoration was removed.It is not right to hide that and the funny thing is [You cant!] Because we all know its history

You are referring to the White Mountain Pedigree.

Coding on the cover[as in The Mile High collection] does not hurt its value in that its actually used as an Identifying mark for many of the Miles highs.Matter of fact in this instance Id rather have the code on the cover as oppossed to no mark code at all since the code 100% can validate that it is a Mile High...Mile Highs are the exception to the rule.I think most will agree

I hear you. With the restoration removal I was talking more about comics that are not pedigree and are thus not in the public eye. I agree with you on the Sup 1, I brought it up to see what kind of discount a 8.0 with color and probable press job would compare in value to the VF-.

Interesting that you think removing dry glue is restoration - I don't - but that is assuming the removal is very minor and doesn't hurt the eye appeal. If it downgrades the book, as it probably should, it wouldn't bother me as much as having the dry glue on the spine. But truth be told, I would rather stay away from such books and let somebody else remove the restoration if need be. I would never take the risk.

Understood..

I walked away from a 7.0 blue label Detective #27 because it had slight glue on the label.That book slept with your new Action #1 for a while.

I do very much like your Tec #27 6.5 Blue label however........

Hi,

Some very interesting comments. I am a little surprised that nobody brought up getting the slight restoration removed. i realize it may be a risk but is it worth it if it only knocks teh grade 1/2 point, ie 9.2 is now a 9.0?

The MF52 that somebody mentioned as a 250,000 book without the color touch but with it it sold for 150kish? is that enough of a discount to attempt the removal?

The question is whether you actually believe it is a $250K book without the color touch. My belief is that the answer is no, not even close.

What do you guys think about the Mile High Superman 1 that is a 8.0 with color touch? Is it worth more or less than the VF- that sold a few years ago? Personally, I would rather have the VF- assuming it was accurately graded.

I've rather have the Edgar Church copy.

What I can't stand about CGC, sorry Steve, is how they minimize writing on the cover or in the inside. I hate it when someone writes their name on the 1st page and feel the comic deserves a severe downgrade cause of it. I remember when CGC used to put such defects on the blue label but I believe now you can resubmit those books so nothing will appear on the label. Pretty sucky if you ask me. For the record, I don't mind it when the original store owner wrote a date or code or even the famous Larson signature as long as it isn't right on Batman's face.

Is it the Mountain something pedigree (silver age) where almost everybook has a name written on the first page yet most of those books are NM+. I don't understand it? Sorry for the brief rant.

You're probably either talking about the White Mountain pedigree (which has month/year numbers written on almost every cover or first wrap) or Winnipeg (which has Dennis Kjolso's name written in cursive -script on most of the covers).

I have no problem with small amounts of writing such as date stamps or distributor codes, but a big, ugly name is something else. You don't really see that on non-pedigree books in NM 9.4 or better condition though, so I'm not sure what you disagree with CGC about. I wouldn't agree that an original owner signature (which the Overstreet Grading Guide suggests should not even be considered a defect at or below the MT 9.9 grade) deserves a severe downgrade if the book is otherwise pristine, but it still comes down to personal preference. If you don't like writing, you won't buy the book and it doesn't matter what the Overstreet Grading Guide says about the defect.

quote//The question is whether you actually believe it is a $250K book without the color touch. My belief is that the answer is no, not even close.

I cant agree with FFB.

The Mile High More fun 52 sold for 150k maybe 4 years ago with color touch.Add 4 years of appreciation coupled with the fact that this is one of the really rare keys and add in the fictional[no more color touch on it]and itis a solid candidate for 250k.

Remember, LOWLY 7.5 sold for 95k....on comiclink....

W e were creating a situation here that I know does not exsist.We were doing a what if. Isnt the Larson copy up for sale again!?

Unlike good,very good and fine

The price increase increments between fine, very fine and NM are HUGE!

What im saying is that the difference in price between a 7.5 More Fun 52[95k] and a 9.2 More Fun 52 is HUGE !

Unlike good,very good and fine

The price increase increments between fine, very fine and NM are HUGE!

What im saying is that the difference in price between a 7.5 More Fun 52[95k] and a 9.2 More Fun 52 is HUGE !

I agree that there will be a big price difference between a MF#52 in VF- 7.5 and in NM- 9.2, but I don't think you crack the $200K barrier unless you've got a 9.4 or 9.6. $200K is a strong psychological barrier for a comic book and that has only been cracked a couple of times in recent history (Pay Copy of Marvel Comics #1 CGC 9.0 and the Church Flash Comics #1 CGC 9.6 come to mind).

Just my opinion. While there is always the possibility that the dot of color touch on the Edgar Church copy resulted in a slight discount, I do not believe for a second that it cut the price by $50K or more or anywhere close to that. It's still the Edgar Church copy and everyone knows it was already probably the best copy or was tied with the Larson copy for the best copy in existence before the dot of glue and dot of CT were added.

And speaking of the Larson copy, it's up for auction in August on Heritage. It's a blue label CGC 9.2 with the only note being "very minor amount of glue on spine of cover." It will be interesting to see how it does.

no. i bought it maybe 2 years ago. i didn't start collecting comics and art until the late 90s. when i say start collecting i mean more valuable stuff, like the allentown tec' 29, as i had a modest collection of comics growing up but they were mostly new books bought off the stand. i didn't care about condition i simply had them to read them.

Well what if unbeknownst to you, you sent in a really nice book for grading, only to be told that this well on it's way to a decent graded "Blue" label book, only deserves a lesser "Purple" label.

Could a mistake in grading have been made and perhaps another opinion would change this "Purple" to a "Blue" label? Is there an Appeals process in having a book regraded?

Looking for answers..