• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hulk #181 - SOLD

28 posts in this topic

it's dirty but structurally sound for that grade.

Not from what I've seen from CGC copies, as they tend to grade commonly submitted books like this harder than usual.

I have a CGC 6.0 W I got from Scottish (that he bought as a VF/NM or so raw) that puts this one to shame. CGC can be extremely tough on this issue.

A chunk screwy.gif it's a microscopic chip

Microscopic, huh? I think I'd better rent out my eyes to NASA!!

Maybe you should, looks like you never heard of Marvel Chipping screwy.gifscrewy.gifscrewy.gif

I took pictures of the Front Cover and of the chunk that's missing according to JC 27_laughing.gifscrewy.gif

DSC07347.jpg

DSC07348.jpg

By the way JC, if you don't like the comics, I don't need your badgering me on them, just don't bid...this isn't the grading forum!

Maybe you should, looks like you never heard of Marvel Chipping screwy.gifscrewy.gifscrewy.gif

Not to quibble, but Marvel chipping is a factory cutting defect that was fixed during the 60s. No books past the mid silver age have it. gossip.gif

Not to quibble, but Marvel chipping is a factory cutting defect that was fixed during the 60s. No books past the mid silver age have it. gossip.gif

Ok, for the sake of argument, let's call it a missing chip foreheadslap.gif

While I thought the X-men #94 was overgraded, I don't think this Hulk #181 is. I don't see it going higher than 7.0, but overall appears to be a standard 7.0 in my opinion, or a solid 6.5..That chip is an acceptable defect in 7.0. While it is not a "Marvel chip", it pretty much represents the same level of damage. It doesn't seem production related though--even so I can't pin down what it is.

While I thought the X-men #94 was overgraded, I don't think this Hulk #181 is.

Here's what I see:

- Significant spine wear - creases, bends and a significant vertical break at the middle

- Gunk/bug guts on the bottom of the H in Hulk (CGC hates gunk)

- Top right corner crease

- Fading/wear top left corner

- Chip out of right cover edge

- Back cover soiling + damage bottom left corner

To me, that puts it in 5.5-6.0 territory.