• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM X-Men 16....dist. spray?

21 posts in this topic

Here is my new X-Men 16. One of my favorite Kirby covers. It's a really nice looking copy, but there is a small stain on the top edge. It can be seen on the cover (though it's VERY light), on the tops of the interior pages without much bleed-down, and on the back. The stain is white on the edge, which makes me wonder if it's distributor overspray, or did that even exist at that time? Anyone know when they starting spraying books?

Thanks for any input. Regardless where the stain originated, it's still a nice copy. cloud9.gif

X-Men16.jpg

x-men16bk.jpg

Here is my new X-Men 16. One of my favorite Kirby covers. It's a really nice looking copy, but there is a small stain on the top edge. It can be seen on the cover (though it's VERY light), on the tops of the interior pages without much bleed-down, and on the back. The stain is white on the edge, which makes me wonder if it's distributor overspray, or did that even exist at that time? Anyone know when they starting spraying books?

Looks like d-spray to me . . . since the dawn of time 27_laughing.gif

thumbsup2.gif Grade? popcorn.gif

thumbsup2.gif Grade? popcorn.gif

9.0 sumo.gif due to aforementioned d-spray, tiny speck of rust transfer BC, VL wear REFC, and VL wear to LRBC - nice looking copy 893applaud-thumb.gif

Yep! Gotta be a strong 9.0 at least. QP to die for. Beautiful!

That is my favorite X-Men cover. Its ahead of 12, 67, and 102.

Just beaut!

Arex

Yep, mine too and this is my first copy. I am a sucker for Sentinel covers. I need to find a nice 14 now.

Just beaut!

Arex

Yep, mine too and this is my first copy. I am a sucker for Sentinel covers. I need to find a nice 14 now.

btw, is that speck of color loss in the Sentinel's boot part of the artwork? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Just beaut!

Arex

btw, is that speck of color loss in the Sentinel's boot part of the artwork? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I just noticed that myself. It's part of the art. thumbsup2.gif

Distributor spray indeed.

Grade : Solid 8.5 given some color breaking stress line near the spine, some wear on the lower right corner on the back cover, and what seems like scuffing on the right edge of the front cover.

That being said you might have a shot at 9.0

Great pick-up! 893applaud-thumb.gif

BTW : On e-Bay it was advertized at what grade ?

Yep, I looked at a few more and you are right. Do you see the shading on his boot? That extends into the white part, and there isn't any paper loss, so it isn't a color fleck or tape pull. I guess it's just a tiny printing error. Weird. confused-smiley-013.gif

Yep, I looked at a few more and you are right. Do you see the shading on his boot? That extends into the white part, and there isn't any paper loss, so it isn't a color fleck or tape pull. I guess it's just a tiny printing error. Weird. confused-smiley-013.gif

That was my guess too, btw - looks very clean.

X-Men16.jpg

Andy,

Take a gander at Frederic's copy . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif (no color loss in boot) 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

X-Men-16-front-cover.jpg

I don't want to scare you but when I compare those books, it almost seems like a trimming job was done on the right edge of the front cover 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Before getting hammered for this look at how much is missing of the fourth finger on the right side of the Sentinel. Look also at the space at the right of the box with number 16 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Maybe the paper used for the cover was not always exactly the same size confused-smiley-013.gif Any opinion ?

Before getting hammered for this look at how much is missing of the fourth finger on the right side of the Sentinel. Look also at the space at the right of the box with number 16 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Maybe the paper used for the cover was not always exactly the same size confused-smiley-013.gif Any opinion ?

27_laughing.gif Everyone is trimming crazy.

No, the wrap is just different. Look at the spine. The second copy wraps around to the back which caused a shift in the art to the left. It happens on every book where the centering isn't exactly the same.

No, the wrap is just different. Look at the spine. The second copy wraps around to the back which caused a shift in the art to the left. It happens on every book where the centering isn't exactly the same.

I noticed that. It's just that size of the shift between the two copy near the spine (look at Ms marvel in the upper left box or the Sentinel's finger near the spine) is much smaller than the difference seen on the right edge 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And before you say it, I know the two scan are not exactly the same size...

I noticed that. It's just that size of the shift between the two copy near the spine (look at Ms marvel in the upper left box or the Sentinel's finger near the spine) is much smaller than the difference seen on the right edge 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And before you say it, I know the two scan are not exactly the same size...

Not all books were cut the same either. I have owned silver age books where the size difference was quite striking. Besides, you can't detect trimming from a scan, unless it was some whacked hatchet job like on some the CGG books.

Trimming isn't exactly common, and yet it gets thrown around so much on here. The Ewert scandal really put the scare into people. Kind of sad.

Not all books were cut the same either. I have owned silver age books where the size difference was quite striking. Besides, you can't detect trimming from a scan, unless it was some whacked hatchet job like on some the CGG books.

Trimming isn't exactly common, and yet it gets thrown around so much on here. The Ewert scandal really put the scare into people. Kind of sad.

I agree flowerred.gif