• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scammed out of $550! Advice, opinions, leg breakers, etc welcome

33 posts in this topic

Back in April, I purchased a Mickey Mantle signed baseball from a person in Topeka, KS for $550. Everything about the transaction was smooth. Fast forward to June. This person emails me saying he has another ball for sale and that it would be another $550. Feeling comfortable about dealing with this person from our previous transaction, I paypal him the funds. Today, I receive the package and low and behold, this piece of 893censored-thumb.gif sent me an empty box!

I charged the purchase to my credit card, which of course I disputed immediately. Also filed a claim with Paypal (not holding my breath for these guys to do anything) and even sent off an email to a Sgt. in the Topeka, KS police department.

I'm glad I charged the thing on my CC, but am still in shock over the gall of some people to attempt a con like this. Especially after our first transaction went so good!

Anyway, just venting a bit, but is there anyone in the Topeka, KS area? I have this insufficiently_thoughtful_persons address and phone number (he hasn't answered his phone so far in the times I've tried to call him) and was wondering what I can do to make his life miserable. Christo_pull_hair.gif

Back in April, I purchased a Mickey Mantle signed baseball from a person in Topeka, KS for $550. Everything about the transaction was smooth. Fast forward to June. This person emails me saying he has another ball for sale and that it would be another $550. Feeling comfortable about dealing with this person from our previous transaction, I paypal him the funds. Today, I receive the package and low and behold, this piece of 893censored-thumb.gif sent me an empty box!

I charged the purchase to my credit card, which of course I disputed immediately. Also filed a claim with Paypal (not holding my breath for these guys to do anything) and even sent off an email to a Sgt. in the Topeka, KS police department.

I'm glad I charged the thing on my CC, but am still in shock over the gall of some people to attempt a con like this. Especially after our first transaction went so good!

Anyway, just venting a bit, but is there anyone in the Topeka, KS area? I have this insufficiently_thoughtful_persons address and phone number (he hasn't answered his phone so far in the times I've tried to call him) and was wondering what I can do to make his life miserable. Christo_pull_hair.gif

showing up at his house in that costume should do the trick makepoint.gif

27_laughing.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That means I'll have to rent a convertible so I can drive out there.

Anyway, I'm not THAT concerned about the credit card company having to pay the $550 because it's a pretty open and shut case as far as fraud goes.

I'd hate to think what kinda 893censored-thumb.gif I'd be in if I paid with a Paypal balance or check. foreheadslap.gif

Does this throw into question the authenticity of the first ball?

Are you sure it was not a mistake yet? I have been on the verge of making similar mistakes, although comics are usually heavy enough to cause suspicion...

No, the first baseball was 100% real because it was an Upper Deck authenticated baseball. That's what's troubling. This insufficiently_thoughtful_person made good on the first baseball and I guess he was hard up for cash.

Anyway, I filed mail fraud charges against him already and will see what happens. Probably harass him with phone calls or something until the credit card company settles everything. insane.gif

No, the first baseball was 100% real because it was an Upper Deck authenticated baseball. That's what's troubling. This insufficiently_thoughtful_person made good on the first baseball and I guess he was hard up for cash.

Anyway, I filed mail fraud charges against him already and will see what happens. Probably harass him with phone calls or something until the credit card company settles everything. insane.gif

Personally the message I would send would have some symbolism behind it. In this case I think a bat would do nicely.

Is it an open and shut case in the eyes of the law? Would he claim that he sent you the ball and that you are now claiming, fraudulently, that it isn't there? On the other hand would the lower postage on the box tell the tale? Does he have previous convictions?

I hope things go well for you and the dealer gets what is coming to him.

If I were you, I would track this person down & shoot him with your "Bologna-Gun". devil.gif

Is it an open and shut case in the eyes of the law? Would he claim that he sent you the ball and that you are now claiming, fraudulently, that it isn't there? On the other hand would the lower postage on the box tell the tale? Does he have previous convictions?

I'm not sure what the case is in the eyes of the law and don't know if he has previous convictions, but the postage on the box from UPS states it's 1 lb flat.

The guy sent it out with his business address and phone number as the return address.

It's a $550 item, so I'm wondering if the authorities will take the matter a little more seriously.

I'm not sure what the case is in the eyes of the law and don't know if he has previous convictions, but the postage on the box from UPS states it's 1 lb flat.

The guy sent it out with his business address and phone number as the return address.

It's a $550 item, so I'm wondering if the authorities will take the matter a little more seriously.

gossip.gif the seller could state that he shipped the ball packaged and that it could have been post office theft. If you didn't purchase insurance you may be S.O.o.L

What has the individual said in regards to this.I know that on 2 occasions,I've mailed off envelopes with out the money order inside and once with the WRONG one.Could there have been a mix-up?GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

What has the individual said in regards to this.I know that on 2 occasions,I've mailed off envelopes with out the money order inside and once with the WRONG one.Could there have been a mix-up?GOD BLESS...

Only Jesus knows . . . wink.gif

hi.gif

Jimbo,

The sender of the package has not replied to my email and not answered the phone.

I'm pretty sure the sender tried to scam me because he included the Upper Deck authenticated box inside the box he used to send the package. There was no baseball and no documentation. Just an empty box within an empty box.

The funny thing is, my mail day was going great because I finally received a package in the mail that was lost for more than a month. I had almost given up hope on that package turning up. Then the UPS man delivered me the empty box.

sorry.gif

Only Jesus knows . . . wink.gif

hi.gif

gossip.gif893whatthe.gifGOD BLESS...

Jimbo,

The sender of the package has not replied to my email and not answered the phone.

I'm pretty sure the sender tried to scam me because he included the Upper Deck authenticated box inside the box he used to send the package. There was no baseball and no documentation. Just an empty box within an empty box.

The funny thing is, my mail day was going great because I finally received a package in the mail that was lost for more than a month. I had almost given up hope on that package turning up. Then the UPS man delivered me the empty box.

sorry.gif

gossip.gif maybe the seller is on vacation.

gossip.gif the seller could state that he shipped the ball packaged and that it could have been post office theft. If you didn't purchase insurance you may be S.O.o.L

I just got off the phone with UPS and they're going to have someone call me Monday to investigate the matter. I hope he tries to blame it on UPS theft and digs himself deeper.

I just got off the phone with UPS and they're going to have someone call me Monday to investigate the matter. I hope he tries to blame it on UPS theft and digs himself deeper.

You're in luck, UPS insures everything up to $500.00 and they usually pay out claims without to much of an investigation. You may be right about a scammer though. This seller knows that he would be covered for $500 insurance through a claim, so the way he see's it is that he gets UPS to pay you the $500 claim and all he has to come up with is the $50 difference and the cost of shipping.

Jimbo,

sorry.gif

I know that's a lot of $$$ for you,but it doesn't seem like much for the seller to risk a federal rap over.Maybe it'll turn up.GOD BLESS...