• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A hypothetical question....

7 posts in this topic

Talked to a dealer yesterday and bought a World's Finest 174 and Detective 385 from him at his store, two Neal Adams' covers. Right now I'm on a Neal Adams binge and after printing off his checklist off the continuity website, I've finally committed myself to purchasing all of Adams' DC and Marvel work (both cover and interior art). I've decided that I'll go VG and up for his cover work and F+ for the comics that feature Neal's interior artwork.

Considering the sheer numbers, wish me luck! As well as a substantial pay raise!

My thinking is that Neal's art has always been hot and comics that feature Adams' artwork are a pleasure to own.

My question is: Suppose it's 25 years down the road and I need cash quick. How much would you expect for a complete set of Neal Adams' DC and Marvel work to bring? (Even in VG to F shape) Predicting the future, especially as it concerns comics, is difficult I know.

And this is just a thought (who knows where thoughts come from? They just appear - Lucas, Empire Records), so don't start hating on me because I'm looking at the financial aspect of the whole thing. I love the art and once I had this collection I'd probably drag it to my grave with me.

Any responses are appreciated. Especially from NA fans!

Thanks. grin.gif

If you are looking to cash in on the books at some point in the future, then you really need to look at buying the highest possible grades. There is not really too much hope of expecting significant price appreciation on VG - FN books.

Granted VG-Fine wouldn't bring that much individually, but I'm talking about a complete DC-Marvel run of Neal Adams' artwork. IT would at least catch some people's attention.

JMO...but I think many die hard Neal Adams fans want there copies to be in primo condition....Having the complete DC/Marvel run would be cool but if the condition of the books aren't cool also then you probably won't get a premium price for them further down the road... 893blahblah.gif

Granted VG-Fine wouldn't bring that much individually, but I'm talking about a complete DC-Marvel run of Neal Adams' artwork. IT would at least catch some people's attention.

I recently sold a lot of TOS #40 TO 99 (42 books total) in average VG+ condition for $300. That's a little over $7.00 a book on average.

I never would have made $300 selling those books separately. I'd have to say that the thought of getting a "complete run" (or close to it) or a "complete set of..." is very appealing to many collectors.

I would think you could expect a decent return on a complete Neal Adams set. Hell, in 10 more years there could be so many of those books in slabs that low grade reader copies could start some bidding wars. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hell, in 10 more years there could be so many of those books in slabs that low grade reader copies could start some bidding wars. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893whatthe.gif

You think?

Don't know about the lower grades, but I am thinking it certainly could make the VF's very inviting. Nice copy you can read.

(Now don't get upset AndrewKnight - it's ok to buy CGC - ok?)

grin.gif

Personally, I think Neal Adam's DC work(interiors) have great potential. But like blowout said, in terms of investment you have to strive for the better copies. This is especially true on his Batman and GL work which is insanely popular, but equally as difficult to aquire in high grades. Overstreet is also asleep on these values, especially when you consider a GL #76 in 9.4 would bring in close to 10X guide.

But as for lower grades, like all other low grades, they have a lot of demand but also a lot of supply. I don't see low grade really losing its value, because there is always a market for it, but I don't see it apreciating either. My advice would be just collect the books in the grades you want, and don't worry about the future value. If you're worried about cash on a rainy day, I would say look elswhere to set yourself up for backup funds.